Josh Allen - SEASON TWO report card

rayray808

2 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Funny how most young QB`s get killed by zone defences and inability to read them.

I think Josh`s problem with man D is that the WR`s the Bills have don`t get separation consistently and are not big enough to battle for contested balls. 

It's mostly recognizing where the blitz is coming from and where to best attack it.

The play we will mostly talk about when it comes to lacking that WR is the last Ravens play. Honestly if we ran that play vs that coverage 10 more times John Brown would destroy Marcus Peters. Brown just didn't run a good route. 

I would give him a B. Was thinking about a B- but his clutch factor and the context to which he plays game (being up late in games and having a defense that makes almost any game close) kind of moved it up to a B. 2 to 1 TD to turnover ratio 3600 passing and rushing yards in essentially 15 games is a fairly mid-level stat line with a completion percentage that leaves a little to be desired. But when you factor in that Josh won games often times coming from behind or closing them out I think you can give him a plus in that regard. 

His numbers actually kind of mirrors Trubisky's 2018 numbers. But hopefully Josh doesn't have the same type of massive regression. Josh has a long way to go in order to become a top 10 QB in the league. However he took a positive step forward this season and his supporting cast does need to improve esp at receiver opposite Brown. But give Josh some playoff experience, a couple of more weapons, and an off-season to continue to work in the system and improve and I think he can get there. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

We don't give early out passes here...

Josh Allen appeared confused on the sidelines, was late to exit before halftime. I also saw him drawing pictures during the 4th quarter.

C+

Don`t forget the finger painting ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

I’d rather see better protection from the line ahead of more weapons. Use Duke in the mean time. 

With that being said, a 3rd of 4th on a receiver would be nice. 

Josh is still young and his processing has proven problematic. He needs to fix that...give him more time until then. Bonus: they’ll also help in the run game. ? 

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Josh Allen appeared confused on the sidelines, was late to exit before halftime. I also saw him drawing pictures during the 4th quarter.

C+

I vehemently disagree!  Didn't you see when Allen simultaneously snagged not ONE, not TWO but THREE cups of Gatorade for the WR's?  Huge effort involving both Allen's football intellect AND physical gifts!

Seriously though I agree with those that gave Allen a solid B.  The most important thing was that Allen showed clear improvement and he did. 

He's nailed ALL of the intangibles IMO (Leadership, hard work, willingness to learn, being the "face" of the team) and has improved the most on those parts of his game where he struggled the most last year.  Regardless of what happens in Houston I see Allen progressing into an elite level QB over the next 2 years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I give him a solid B.

He progressed solidly throughout the year and was well above average when it counted in clutch situations.  He just needs to tighten up his mechanics and not be so afraid to turn it over.  It's ok to slightly under throw it on the those deep fades when his receiver has at least a step on his man.  The receiver totally has the advantage on jump ball situations when he has a step as he is the one looking back and the defender is running for his life and playing the receivers hands as opposed to the ball.

I think next year provided we add in another good receiving weapon you will see Josh Allen jump into that top 10 tier QB.

• Like (+1) 2

Season two was everything I could have realistically hoped for. Obviously we all would have loved an MVP performance, but that's too much to expect in year 2 from a project QB like Josh. 

Early he had problems with turnovers (though I think that was overstated - 4 NYJ turnovers in week 1 were all varying degrees of fluky, a fumbled snap that didn't reach his hands, a blind side strip sack that many QBs would lose, Beasley volleying a ball to Mosely who was like 5 yards away, and a batted pass interception on his only batted pass of the game while we batted 4-5 of Darnold's), and he responded after NE by only throwing 3 picks in the remaining 12 games, and losing 2 or 3 fumbles. That's huge, and was important to our season turning out the way it did. 

His mid-range accuracy improvement from 2018 was nothing short of miraculous, and gives me confidence that a boosted rep count on deep passes (which started hitting more towards the end of the year, and were in their own words sacrificed for mid-range reps all offseason) will follow shortly. An increase in the team's ability to run and block for screens will make his accuracy essentially a nonissue compared to all other QBs sans the freaks like Rodgers and Brees. 

He gave us some absolutely classic moments on 4th down scrambles to add to the leap against the Vikings, and played solid-to-great on national TV in the 3 games his team played for the country, 2 of which were forced because of how successful the season was. 

29 total touchdowns, 2nd most in franchise history. A playoff birth in a DOME (he has had two of his best three or four games ever indoors)

The to-do list for next season includes more consistent footwork (which was still way better than it was in 2018), improved deep accuracy, constant improvement in pre-and-post-snap reads (which he again displayed growth with this season) and learning how to hang onto the ball better (please fewer designed runs next year). Nothing crazy, and I believe each of those areas will be better for next season and as it progresses. 

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Isn't that a B- without rounding?   I'll round to a solid B.

I can't understand how anyone could complain.  He took a big step forward from last year and the Bills won 10 games and made the playoffs.

Yes, I would give him a B.

Just think how much better Josh Allen would have looked had the Bills not had so many dropped passes!

I'm not making excuses for Allen, he still needs to improve his game, but I really like what I saw from him this season.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I vehemently disagree!  Didn't you see when Allen simultaneously snagged not ONE, not TWO but THREE cups of Gatorade for the WR's?  Huge effort involving both Allen's football intellect AND physical gifts!

Seriously though I agree with those that gave Allen a solid B.  The most important thing was that Allen showed clear improvement and he did. 

He's nailed ALL of the intangibles IMO (Leadership, hard work, willingness to learn, being the "face" of the team) and has improved the most on those parts of his game where he struggled the most last year.  Regardless of what happens in Houston I see Allen progressing into an elite level QB over the next 2 years.

I agree with everything you say. It’s right in front of our eyes. We have something special.  Sure there are areas he needs to continue to work on. We know he will. He needs to keep working on his footwork. It’s been sloppy again at times. 

But take a look back at the last drive fourth quarter in NE. That was a thing of beauty. He was slinging it around, making great throw one after another. Not to mention the throws to Knox and Smoke.  

Coaches and Josh have to figure out how to dial in that play for four quarters. 

I don’t need my Qb to make every throw.  I want my Qb to win games, have  a competitive fire in his eyes, take the team on his back and risk his body. The ability for him to hit a big play at any time is so exciting to root for and keeps me interested in every down.

29 total tds for a second year player.! Fantastic. 

In the past 20 years depending on your age since homerun throwback. I’ve seen Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe near end of career , J.P. Losman, Trent Edwards, Ej Manuel, Fitz, Kyle Orton , Tyrod,. Does Billy Joe Hobert count..man why even read the playbook. I see nothing in Josh that says to me he ends up like one of the above. A kid who had to write his own letters  to ask schools to give him a shot is someone you don’t underestimate. 

I give him a B because I  do take into

account some big time opportunities he missed at times. Sloppy fundamentals and decision making.

That’s ok though I can live with it if he learns from it so that next time he nails it.

CincyBillsfan , you and I will have to remember this day 2 years from now and see where Josh is at!

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have him C+ to B- range and that is about middle of the pack for all of the QB's in the NFL

I love the steps he took this year and look to see him take some more next year.  gave the Bills essentially a 30 TD season with room for growth.  Next year I would like to see that number get closer to 40 and if they get a true big WR on the opposite side this offense will imo move up to the upper 20's ppg keeping the defense relatively the same and the Bills should have one of the best shots are returning to the division champs.

Jordan Palmer's work with Josh this off season needs to be on the 10 yard drop bucket pass that would of been perfect for the Knox passes for TD's vs NE.  continual work on the footwork and maybe hiring a midset coach to calm him a bit when games start.  Comes out sometimes in games a bit over amped like Favre used to and then settles as the game plays out.  

Great year Josh look forward to Saturday and the following week as I think the Bills beat the Texans this weekend

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

C+

And his running around to get Gatorade for his subservience! He should have been liquifying himself!

I go solid C+ rather than B-.  I feel his passing on deeper routes just cannot warrant a B grade.  

more good than bad.  Definitely progressing.  Next year with the OL even better, more experience, and hopefully a few more weapons (big WR target and a bruising back) he steps up even more 

9 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

WEEK 15: A

WEEK 16: B

WEEK 17:  **early out pass

GPA: 2.8

OVERALL GRADE: B- (rounded up because of making the playoffs)

RECORD: 10-6

COMP %: 58.8

YARDS: 3,089

TDʻS PASSING: 20

INTʻS: 9

RUSHING: 510 YARDS

RUSHING TDʻS: 9

FUN FACTS:

? 5th (tied) total touchdowns ? 5th highest 1st down % on 3rd+long ? 5th most 4th quarter TD passes ? 4th highest 4th quarter passer rtg ? 1st (tied) 4th quarter comebacks ? 1st (tied) game winning drives

Josh Allen has improved his passer rating by +17.1 this season, marking the largest increase from last season by any NFL starter. Allen is also one of three NFL QBs with 3,000+ passing yards and 500+ rushing yards this season.

Overall this season has been an absolute pleasure to watch this young QB develop. Was it as fast as a progression as a Mahomes or Lamar Jackson? Absolutely not. However, it was still progression, rather than regression (Baker cough.. cough..)

I tried to remain as unbiased as possible this year regarding grades, and I used a "sophomore rubric" where some people thought I was inflating grades, and yet others felt I was being too harsh at times as the season progressed.

Truth be told, I have been sold on Allen for awhile now, but also know that the path towards him becoming a franchise, elite and most importantly a SUSTAINABLE winning QB in this league will take some time.

All in all, I think for him to improve in the ways he did this season, and lead us to a playoff wild card spot - earns him a B- for this season.

PLAYOFF GOALS: Donʻt be the reason we lose games, and let our defense be the reason we win games.

OFF SEASON GOALS: Clean up your footwork. Yes you have a strong arm, and yes your legs look amazing in shorts. However, you sometimes lose focus of the simple mechanics of football and it prevents you from making throws that extend drives, and win games. This is a make or break fundamental switch that must happen.

MANAGEMENT GOALS: Get a big WR and another RB for this offense. Only then can we start playing "fearless" as there are actual weapons on the field to help us get past the dreaded 17 points a game.

PERSONAL GOALS: Get a sponsorship for Josh. Nike, Adidas, maybe even Jordan brand? Josh Allen is prime time football and we should get 5 national games next season.

GO BILLS!

Excellent!

7 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Funny how most young QB`s get killed by zone defences and inability to read them.

I think Josh`s problem with man D is that the WR`s the Bills have don`t get separation consistently and are not big enough to battle for contested balls. 

Two more high quality NFL receivers will make such a difference for Josh.  The process has just begun.