Josh Allen - SEASON TWO report card

rayray808

12 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I go solid C+ rather than B-.  I feel his passing on deeper routes just cannot warrant a B grade.  

more good than bad.  Definitely progressing.  Next year with the OL even better, more experience, and hopefully a few more weapons (big WR target and a bruising back) he steps up even more 

I get that argument, but he’s also going deep to John Brown. Allen’s numbers would look even better with a big (AJ Green type) receiver that will actually make a big time play for him in those type of throws. 

I give Allen a B just for what he was working with. 2 new starting wideouts (both under 6’) rookie tight end and rookie running back. He’s definitely looked like a much different guy in the 2nd half of the season. Lots of promise imo. 

He’s excelled very much at the intangible parts of the position.  Such as leadership, being the face of the franchise, maturity, etc....

But I still think there’s work that needs be done on his game though.  I don’t know if he still is but I think he has the most fumbles of any QB.  Plus in the NE game for example he still badly missed the TE for the tying score.

Ill say B-.   He seems the type always willing to learn/improve so that’s a plus.  2020 will be a big year for him.  If we ever want to be serious Super Bowl contenders I think he needs to still step up his game 

Graded against the measure of all NFL QBs I'd say C+.  Redzone, 4th quarter, improved ball security and clutch running ability elevate his grade beyond his raw passing stats which aren't so impressive.  Measured against last year or the standard of 2nd year NFL starting QBs, he rates a solid B.  Some nice playoff performances could take the final grade higher. 

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sad we had that final stretch of tough defenses that dropped his completion percentage below 60%. He was above that for most of the season.

Next year I'd like to see it at 60 or higher with that schedule. Franchise QB to me would be consistent regardless of the opponent. Probably a new offense though if rumors are to be believed. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Sad we had that final stretch of tough defenses that dropped his completion percentage below 60%. He was above that for most of the season.

It evened out. Our schedule was very QB friendly. Anyone that didn't see a decline wasn't really paying attention.

Allen still made some plays and limited turnovers. I felt that stretch showed the growth in Allen even though his numbers weren't great. He still has a long way to go.

This seems like a good place to put this.  The season summary charts are up on NFL next gen stats and actually Josh's are a bit of a surprise to me.

So for those unfamiliar, what they do is chart the distance and direction of each pass week by week, dividing the field up into 16 chunks.  They compute an average passer rating +/- standard deviation for each 16th of the field.  Then they color code: below average means less than mean - standard deviation for that area.  Average means within 1 standard deviation of the mean.  Above average means above one standard deviation of the mean.  So without further ado - Click to embiggen.

Josh Allen 2019

image.thumb.png.4c735dc1b89099c72dcfd6db9eecbd66.png

Josh Allen 2018

image.thumb.png.18cd9f49ac610820a4433d7495898402.png

YPG 173->206 (calc for 15 games).  TD% 3.1 -> 4.3%  INT % 3.8% -> 2.0%.

No, he isn't setting the league on fire, but anyone who can't see improvement should go Eat a Toad.

The surprise to me is that patch from 0 to 10 yds on the Rt side of the field.  I had the rest about right, I did not see that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This seems like a good place to put this.  The season summary charts are up on NFL next gen stats and actually Josh's are a bit of a surprise to me.

So for those unfamiliar, what they do is chart the distance and direction of each pass week by week, dividing the field up into 16 chunks.  They compute an average passer rating +/- standard deviation for each 16th of the field.  Then they color code: below average means less than mean - standard deviation for that area.  Average means within 1 standard deviation of the mean.  Above average means above one standard deviation of the mean.  So without further ado - Click to embiggen.

Josh Allen 2019

image.thumb.png.4c735dc1b89099c72dcfd6db9eecbd66.png

Josh Allen 2018

image.thumb.png.18cd9f49ac610820a4433d7495898402.png

YPG 173->206 (calc for 15 games).  TD% 3.1 -> 4.3%  INT % 3.8% -> 2.0%.

No, he isn't setting the league on fire, but anyone who can't see improvement should go Eat a Toad.

The surprise to me is that patch from 0 to 10 yds on the Rt side of the field.  I had the rest about right, I did not see that.

PS Josh's total QBR has decreased from 49.8 to 45.8 from 2018 to 2019.  Concerning total QBR, 'nuff said

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Looks like massive improvement on the left and right between 10 and 20 yards, and even long range, while not good, is better for the most part in 2019. Did not expect that.

Also behind the LOS and 0-10 yards on the L.  Don't discount out the importance of that.

• Like (+1) 1