Yannick Ngakoue - Peace Out Jax

Reed83HOF

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

his team has plenty of cap space to resign Shaq, Phillips, and Spain (or at least 2 out of the 3) and add a big piece like Ngakuoe at around 15-18 million aav, without compromising the ability for the team to give out extensions. This team if they cut Kroft and Murphy (two players of little value) will have about 100 million in cap space. Even if it takes 30 million to resign Shaq, Phillips and Spain they still have 69 million left in cap space. They can make that big splash and still have over 50 million in space. They can even spend 10 million more on other depth/role needs and still have 40 plus million to roll over and kick in once extensions are needed in 2021 to the 2017 draft class. 

Obviously you can make it work in the short term when there’s $90M in cap space this year, the issue is how it’s going to work in the following years when there’s bigger contracts to be handed out. 

Early on for free agency the pool doesn’t look amazing. But you could see a lot of guys to be had later. I’d watch for someone like everson griffin in Minnesota. Older but productive. Be a costly 2-3 year deal while Johnson or another rookie work behind. 

2 minutes ago, elijah said:

Even so, that 5th year option is going to be expensive.  And say that it is still 3 more years, Ngakuoe would likely be a 6 year contract worth upwards of $100M and hitting the most expensive final 3 years of his contract by that time. 

I think Beane is too smart to make a deal like that.  He didn’t take us out of cap hell to spend his money short sighted and put us right back in it. 

We have the cap space to sign all of them and not be in any "hell". The reason Beane cleaned house was to give himself the cap space to sign his guys, not to horde it all away.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We will let both Safeties (Poyer and Hyde) walk when their contracts are up. ?

hoping we at LEAST keep Hyde.  Preferably both, but we’ll see.

It’s a joy watching them work their magic back there.  (minus the occasional instance of Poyer getting trucked... lol)

Edited by RiotAct
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

hoping we at LEAST keep Hyde.  Preferably both, but we’ll see.

It’s a joy watching them work their magic back there.  (minus the occasional instance of Poyer getting trucked... lol)

Yeah, it's not something I want to see, just the way I think it plays out.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

If Poyer walks, it will be because he doesn't want to be in Buffalo. 

I have a hard time imagining the Bills will go from playing both those guys 100% of snaps to not willing to offer them significant contract extensions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If Poyer walks, it will be because he doesn't want to be in Buffalo. 

I have a hard time imagining the Bills will go from playing both those guys 100% of snaps to not willing to offer them significant contract extensions. 

We'll see. Keep in mind, they were both Whaley signings.

If they're willing to stay at their current salary range (~$5M/yr) then that makes it easier. But being the leaders of a well-respected Defense that makes the playoffs so often, that will be tough. If they come looking for $10M+ then theyre gone.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They have both really played and played well on bargain contracts for the team. I would like to see them back but I can also see each guy wanting that huge deal after playing on outdated contracts. I think it would be much easier to replace or even upgrade Poyer than Hyde. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

We'll see. Keep in mind, they were both Whaley signings.

If they're willing to stay at their current salary range (~$5M/yr) then that makes it easier. But being the leaders of a well-respected Defense that makes the playoffs so often, that will be tough. If they come looking for $10M+ then theyre gone.

That "Whaley signing" could only make sense if they didn't play 100% (not an exaggeration) of snaps. Also, they were signed when McDermott took over; they are not Whaley signings in the way so many others were.  

They are the reason this defense is so good. They are so good they don't even have guys rotate in. I appreciate value, but they are the heart and soul of the defense.  They are for sure worth $10+.  

That "Whaley signing" could only make sense if they didn't play 100% (not an exaggeration) of snaps. Also, they were signed when McDermott took over; they are not Whaley signings in the way so many others were.  

They are the reason this defense is so good. They are so good they don't even have guys rotate in. I appreciate value, but they are the heart and soul of the defense.  They are for sure worth $10+.  

I remind myself that you are a lawyer, because Im not sure who you are arguing "against" here or just for the sake of arguing to absolutes :thumbsup:

I dont disagree with anything you're saying. You're preaching to the choir. I get that they've played 100% of the snaps. And they may be worth $10M each, but...

If they come asking for $10M, I dont see Beane investing that much in Safeties. He already drafted a Safety last year, and will probably do so again next year. Hyde has been suspect at times this season, and we'll see where he is at in 2 years as he gets older and slower.

Neither of us know how it will play out. Just dont be surprised if neither of them are retained.

41 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We have plenty of money to sign all of them to lucrative contracts AND still sign outside FAs like Ngakoue

Yep, 2020 will be the year they add a difference maker like Ngakoue to the core built over the past three years.   

Like how Corny Bennett took the Bills to a whole new level when he arrived in Buffalo back in 1987...

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I remind myself that you are a lawyer, because Im not sure who you are arguing "against" here or just for the sake of arguing to absolutes :thumbsup:

I dont disagree with anything you're saying. You're preaching to the choir. I get that they've played 100% of the snaps. And they may be worth $10M each, but...

If they come asking for $10M, I dont see Beane investing that much in Safeties. He already drafted a Safety last year, and will probably do so again next year. Hyde has been suspect at times this season, and we'll see where he is at in 2 years as he gets older and slower.

Neither of us know how it will play out. Just dont be surprised if neither of them are retained.

Lol. Man did I deserve that. My wife literally said the same thing to me not two weeks ago.  

I guess now that I am thinking about it, we don't really know what Beane will do when it comes time to give out extensions. Has he really done so yet? Is he the guy that doesn't pay Josh Norman, or is he someone else?  All right Dr. D., I'm on board. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lol. Man did I deserve that. My wife literally said the same thing to me not two weeks ago.  

I guess now that I am thinking about it, we don't really know what Beane will do when it comes time to give out extensions. Has he really done so yet? Is he the guy that doesn't pay Josh Norman, or is he someone else?  All right Dr. D., I'm on board. 

Hahaha, right on!

Happy New Year to you and the Mrs  :thumbsup::beer:

43 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This team has plenty of cap space to resign Shaq, Phillips, and Spain (or at least 2 out of the 3) and add a big piece like Ngakuoe at around 15-18 million aav, without compromising the ability for the team to give out extensions. This team if they cut Kroft and Murphy (two players of little value) will have about 100 million in cap space. Even if it takes 30 million to resign Shaq, Phillips and Spain they still have 69 million left in cap space. They can make that big splash and still have over 50 million in space. They can even spend 10 million more on other depth/role needs and still have 40 plus million to roll over and kick in once extensions are needed in 2021 to the 2017 draft class. 

Then once you need to resign the 2018 draft class players after 2021 you will have plenty of space as guys like Hughes and Star come off the books. The window to win in the NFL is small and I think if you can add 2-3 starting pieces to this team via free agency you do it esp considering you have the cap space to be prudently aggressive.

Stop trying to turn me on!

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they resign one or two of Shaq, Spain, and Phillips. Not all 3. If I had to guess they’ll cut Murphy retain both Shaq and Phillips and let Spain walk while moving Ford to LG.

I think they keep Phillips for sure and I think they make a significant attempt to resign Shaq and Spain. They are likely not going to overpay for either but they will pay their market value. I think that Cody has in my mind solidified himself as a starting caliber RT so I don't get why you would want to slide him in based off his recent play. My point was that even if you resign all 3 and it take 30 million in space to do so, you are still fine cap wise to both add a big piece, add some depth/role players, and have enough space to roll over and take care of future players. 

2 hours ago, elijah said:

I think Beane is too smart to make a deal like that.  He didn’t take us out of cap hell to spend his money short sighted and put us right back in it. 

This is it.  Beane is going to be judicious in free agency just like last year.  He will probably try to sign more under the radar free agents and use his top draft picks on WR, DE, and OT imo.  

As far as re-signing guys (Spain, Lawson, and Jordan Phillips, etc), Beane may place a higher priority on re-signing Kevin Johnson.  He's looked good out there and Wallace has been shaky at times.  I believe Beane will have an interest in keeping Spain, Lawson, and Jordan Phillips however all these guys will likely get huge offers from other teams.  Unfortunately, I think these guys are gone.

• Like (+1) 1