Yannick Ngakoue - Peace Out Jax

Reed83HOF

2 minutes ago, elijah said:

For a GM that preaches staying in house, Ngakuoe might just cost too much to make this happen. 

Dawkins, Poyer, Milano, Tre White, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds are just a few names coming up in the next 2 years.

We have plenty of money to sign all of them to lucrative contracts AND still sign outside FAs like Ngakoue.

Was Beane preaching staying in house when he signed 6 outside OL and 2 outside WRs to start last offseason?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I could see the Bills easily letting Poyer walk. 

Tre White is locked in for at least two more years.

Josh Allen? Really? Can we wait until he proves himself a little more before worrying about a contract extension? 

We will let both Safeties (Poyer and Hyde) walk when their contracts are up. ?

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I could see the Bills easily letting Poyer walk. 

Tre White is locked in for at least two more years.

Josh Allen? Really? Can we wait until he proves himself a little more before worrying about a contract extension? 

We don’t have to do anything with Allen until the end of next season going into year 4 if we want to pick up his 5th year option. Plenty of time to add to the sample size.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, elijah said:

For a GM that preaches staying in house, Ngakuoe might just cost too much to make this happen. 

Dawkins, Poyer, Milano, Tre White, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds are just a few names coming up in the next 2 years.

Josh and Tremaine still have what would be 3 years left, assuming we exercise the 5th year options. The other guys though? Yes. Feliciano also only has one more year on his contract. Spain was signed to a one year deal as well and is an impending FA. Shaq Lawson is another impending FA. Dang, so is Phillips. We need to get our main guys taken care of first and hopefully they do that before FA even gets underway. We have a lot of FA's to sign. 

Edited by H2o

I don’t have a knock against the guy but I really hope we’re not the team to pay him. 
I don’t get the fascination. His sacks this year are against bad teams. Stat wise he’s almost invisible against good teams. He doesn’t have a lot of TFL or even QB hits. Shaq Lawson looks better all across the board if we’re going by stats and has trended up every year. We’re going to pay this guy elite pass rusher money? He’s not an elite pass rusher. 
This goes against what a large majority of fans have cried about for years. Letting our own guys walk to sign someone at a higher price tag with less production. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, elijah said:

This team has plenty of cap space to resign Shaq, Phillips, and Spain (or at least 2 out of the 3) and add a big piece like Ngakuoe at around 15-18 million aav, without compromising the ability for the team to give out extensions. This team if they cut Kroft and Murphy (two players of little value) will have about 100 million in cap space. Even if it takes 30 million to resign Shaq, Phillips and Spain they still have 69 million left in cap space. They can make that big splash and still have over 50 million in space. They can even spend 10 million more on other depth/role needs and still have 40 plus million to roll over and kick in once extensions are needed in 2021 to the 2017 draft class. 

Then once you need to resign the 2018 draft class players after 2021 you will have plenty of space as guys like Hughes and Star come off the books. The window to win in the NFL is small and I think if you can add 2-3 starting pieces to this team via free agency you do it esp considering you have the cap space to be prudently aggressive. 

2 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Id rather overpay him than Shaq.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Shaq in the 9-11 million aav range. He is a quality player and I would like to see him stay here and continue to develop but I wouldn't keep him at all costs either. There are a lot of edge rushers out on the market and I don't trust Shaq as a starter opposite Hughes, I think he is best as a 3rd DE who plays on rush downs and in rotation on passing situations. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Shaq in the 9-11 million aav range. He is a quality player and I would like to see him stay here and continue to develop but I wouldn't keep him at all costs either. There are a lot of edge rushers out on the market and I don't trust Shaq as a starter opposite Hughes, I think he is best as a 3rd DE who plays on rush downs and in rotation on passing situations. 

I'd sign both Shaq and Yannick.

Hughes is here next year since he costs more to cut than to keep, but is gone after that. Signing both Shaq and Yannick gives us some security at the position long-term, where Yannick can move into Hughes' spot, and we arent in a desperate situation to find/sign/draft a DE in 2021. Would still need to pad out the rotation, but at least we arent left with a major hole along the Line.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, elijah said:

I think they could afford it, but I don’t think they’ll want to match the term, and the guaranteed money that will be given to this guy. 

I see them more likely going after a cheaper option like Vic Beasley, Vinny Curry, etc. 

Also, the amount that they rotate their defensive linemen makes me wonder how much they will invest in the edge position. 

My view of how they handle the position?

1. Hughes stays

2. Shaq Re-Signed $6M-$7M per year for 2-3 yrs

3. Sign a UFA like Vic Beasley, Vinny Curry, Benson Mayowa, etc. 

4. Draft a guy in rounds 1-3

5. Cut Murphy if he can’t win a spot over Hughes/Shaq/UFA/Rookie

6. Darryl Johnson to practice squad. 

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

Josh and Tremaine still have what would be 3 years left, assuming we exercise the 5th year options. The other guys though? Yes. Feliciano also only has one more year on his contract. Spain was signed to a one year deal as well and is an impending FA. Shaq Lawson is another impending FA. Dang, so is Phillips. We need to get our main guys taken care of first and hopefully they do that before FA even gets underway. We have a lot of FA's to sign. 

Even so, that 5th year option is going to be expensive.  And say that it is still 3 more years, Ngakuoe would likely be a 6 year contract worth upwards of $100M and hitting the most expensive final 3 years of his contract by that time. 

I think Beane is too smart to make a deal like that.  He didn’t take us out of cap hell to spend his money short sighted and put us right back in it.