McDermott changes signs from “Playoff Caliber” to “Championship Caliber”

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO there has been a decided drop in intensity and focus since they got to 9 wins and basically assured themselves a playoff berth.

They haven't played well in a month. 

Hoping they re-focus.

They did in Jacksonville a couple years ago........that was probably as well as they COULD play in a game............ but then they hadn't been on cruise control/playing not-to-lose for a month.

to be fair we played 3 of the best defenses in football in a row, 2 away from home. 

had our offense been able to score more than 17 points per game we go 3-0

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They averaged a woeful 14 points per game in December.

Did not exceed 17 in any of the 4 games.

Yeah they played some good defenses.

But then they also got embarrassed defensively by their chief rival........who was otherwise struggling offensively.

Only win was a nail biter against a random undrafted rookie QB who threw an anemic 5 TD and 8 INT on the season.

Yes,  it's fair to say they didn't play well in the last month.

They gave up 24 points and you call that getting embarrassed?  Maybe you are counting yardage or style points....that makes a lot of sense.   Please.  They didn’t play their best game “defensively,” but again I don’t call allowing 24 points getting embarrassed.  That’s where the garbage comes in.

Same situation against Baltimore, they didn’t win, but I don’t think you can say that “they didn’t play well.” They lost to a better team and still had

a chance to win at the end.  

They scored enough points to win against Pittsburgh and the plan was to play conservatively and it worked.  Oh and by the way it was against the #1 defense in takeaways, in their house, in a prime time game that the team rarely loses.  But I guess they “didn’t play well”

So your point is again debunked.  They lost by one score to 1 Super Bowl contender and 1 defending Super Bowl champion.   They didn’t play well enough to win but your statement is a gross exaggeration

9 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

to be fair we played 3 of the best defenses in football in a row, 2 away from home. 

But I guess “they haven’t played well” for a month.  

Thank you for actually making sense

20 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

If Pittsburgh had even an average backup QB do they go 0-3?

History is not going to be kind to Duck Hodges.......he threw an anemic 5 TD's in 7 starts.

Reminiscent of when the Bills were pushed to the brink by forgotten Dolphins scrub David Fales in the finale of 2017.

2 hours ago, dayman said:

Playoff Caliber is solid. I like it. Championship Caliber is a bit much, to be honest. Playoff Caliber team should be achievable almost every year. Championships are not, obviously. 

Once you’ve achieved the goal of playoff caliber - ie gaining entry into the tournament- you need a new goal. The other 11 teams have earned the right to be there too. Your opponent is playoff caliber ; Your team is now competing for a championship. So championship caliber is what it has to be. 

7 hours ago, Figster said:

Allen has the most rushing TD's in the league from the QB position so go figure. If nobody figured Jackson out yet what happened vs Buffalo

It hard to argue with 36 TD's,

so you got me there...

He threw 3 more TDs and beat the Bills.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Pittsburgh had even an average backup QB do they go 0-3?

History is not going to be kind to Duck Hodges.......he threw an anemic 5 TD's in 7 starts.

Reminiscent of when the Bills were pushed to the brink by forgotten Dolphins scrub David Fales in the finale of 2017.

Again... this is the type of mentality in fans that drives me nuts.  It’s time to block this guy

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

certainly the franchise is serious

bear in mind that a key strategy is Brady retiring and the Pats going down the tubes, so 7-9 could win the AFC East for a few years

7-9 winning the division? What is your rationale on that take?

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

7-9 winning the division? What is your rationale on that take?

when Brady retires the Pats will crater, the Jets and Fish stink

so 7 wins would be enough to win the division

and you can load manage an 11 win team down to 7 wins under that structure

Just now, Southern Bills Fan said:

Really dumb take op. Are we not improving? Doesn’t it take time to get there? The best season we’ve had in decades and you write this?

to jump from playoff achieving to serious title contender will have to require some heartless moves at just the right time

dumping McD and bringing in a coach who has "been there" might be one of them

• Haha (+1) 1

They’re in the playoffs. Boom championship caliber. They now have a chance to win the championship. Lots of teams do not. 
Does anyone see a reason barring key injuries why this team isn’t going to be in the hunt for the playoffs in the next few years? 
Young, talented, and not close to hitting full potential yet, that would be the definition of championship caliber to me. 
Are they going to be favorites to make it? Probably not unless they make a serious run the next few weeks. Who cares though? Enjoy the ride. We may be the sexy pick next year because nobody expects us to get worse we should only get better 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

when Brady retires the Pats will crater, the Jets and Fish stink

so 7 wins would be enough to win the division

and you can load manage an 11 win team down to 7 wins under that structure

I think the Fins have a ton in the bank to load up quickly. The Jets aren’t as bad as their record indicates. 7-9 is a very bold prediction imo. Lets revisit this next year ?