McDermott changes signs from “Playoff Caliber” to “Championship Caliber”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Figster said:

The league will learn how to counter Lamar Jackson by stopping the run. The hits Jackson takes will start adding up IMO.

No way even with what I know now am I taking the second coming of Mike Vick over Josh Allen.

Can Jackson beat QB's like Mahomes or Rodgers with his arm? I think not

Time will tell...

Rodgers has 10 passing TD since Halloween.  Then Packers squeaked by the Lions and the Redskins down the stretch.

The Ravens would annihilate the Rodgers and the Packers right now.  It would be LSU-Oklahoma.

Jackson would unscrew his arm, beat Rodgers about the head and neck with it and then re-attatch it to shake the old boys hand.

8 hours ago, VADC Bills said:

The Bills were fortunate to have the schedule work in their favor this year but we still could not beat the good teams consistently.

The Bills have trouble scoring more than 17 points per game.

I expect they will be better in these areas next year.

I would like to see Beane have a great draft scouting effort and picking the best players, as opposed to trading away picks to pick Josh Allen when Lamar Jackson could have fell in your lap (see Doug Whaley and Sammy Watkins). Not totally sold on Beane yet. 

More textbook Bills fan negativity.

So here’s the thing - the point about the offense has merit.  They do need to score more points and a lot of that has to do with the development of Josh Allen.  I think they are living with his limitations given the promise of his potential.  

The whole thing about the schedule rings kind of hollow to me.  The Bills have had similar schedules in the past (as have other teams) and they managed to find a way to lose games they should have won.  Give credit to McDermott for getting his team ready to win.  

Your whole argument about Beane not drafting Lamar is silly, considering that just about every other NFL team passed on him in Round 1 - including Baltimore.   The thinking was that he wouldn’t fit a conventional NFL offense - which he probably doesn’t.  

I think this is where you have to give Baltimore credit - they thought outside of the box and revamped their offense to fit Lamar.  And Lamar got better - he really wasn’t that great last season.  

Also, like Mahomes, I think it’s far-fetched to think he could replicate the success in had this season.  The again negative fans love to revise history

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Wait a second. I think we'd all like to think it remains "Championship Caliber" next regular season, but don't I remember him doing this in 2017 too? Then it goes back to "Playoff Caliber" the next year. ?

Each season is a new group of players. You start back at basics. You prove throughout the season that you’re able to make the playoffs. Once you do that, then you prove you can win a championship.

?Process is process for the entire process and then once that process is processed you start to process a new process. ?

Edited by Dkollidas

IMO there has been a decided drop in intensity and focus since they got to 9 wins and basically assured themselves a playoff berth.

They haven't played well in a month. 

Hoping they re-focus.

They did in Jacksonville a couple years ago........that was probably as well as they COULD play in a game............ but then they hadn't been on cruise control/playing not-to-lose for a month.

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on....signs?

They replaced the pool table

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO there has been a decided drop in intensity and focus since they got to 9 wins and basically assured themselves a playoff berth.

Hoping they re-focus.

They did in Jacksonville a couple years ago........that was probably as well as they COULD play in a game............ but then they hadn't been on cruise control/playing not-to-lose for a month.

They played Dallas fine

and

this was the tough part of our schedule 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Interesting because the way that players talk about Marv made it sound like He was George S. Patton and that they would go to battle for him.  

I do agree that he was outcoached in every Super Bowl

Players loved him because he let them do what they wanted away from the team.   He did treat them like men.   And they loved him for it. 

I think what he said was that he wasn't responsible for getting them "up" for the game.   McDermott knows that his job is to find a way to get him men to love him AND get them up for the game.   This Championship Caliber stuff is one example of McDermott doing that job.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rodgers has 10 passing TD since Halloween.  Then Packers squeaked by the Lions and the Redskins down the stretch.

The Ravens would annihilate the Rodgers and the Packers right now.  It would be LSU-Oklahoma.

Jackson would unscrew his arm, beat Rodgers about the head and neck with it and then re-attatch it to shake the old boys hand.

Did the Ravens annihilate Buffalo? With that in mind do you honestly think the Bills are that much better then the Packers?

Speaking of arm do you realize the Ravens have a run 1st O and Lamar Jackson has one of the lowest pass attempts in the league?

Again Mike Vick Ii and the league will learn how to stop him If injury doesn't stop him 1st IMO.

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Wait a second. I think we'd all like to think it remains "Championship Caliber" next regular season, but don't I remember him doing this in 2017 too? Then it goes back to "Playoff Caliber" the next year. ?

Playoff Caliber is solid. I like it. Championship Caliber is a bit much, to be honest. Playoff Caliber team should be achievable almost every year. Championships are not, obviously. 

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Did the Ravens annihilate Buffalo? With that in mind do you honestly think the Bills are that much better then the Packers?

Speaking of arm do you realize the Ravens have a run 1st O and Lamar Jackson has one of the lowest pass attempts in the league?

Again Mike Vick Ii and the league will learn how to stop him If injury doesn't stop him 1st IMO.

What is the point of this thread?  

Yes, with the fewest attempts, Jackson has the most passing TDs in the league, making his game the most efficient in the league.  No one has figured him out yet.

He's nothing like Mike Vick--a terrible passer 

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

More textbook Bills fan negativity.

So here’s the thing - the point about the offense has merit.  They do need to score more points and a lot of that has to do with the development of Josh Allen.  I think they are living with his limitations given the promise of his potential.  

The whole thing about the schedule rings kind of hollow to me.  The Bills have had similar schedules in the past (as have other teams) and they managed to find a way to lose games they should have won.  Give credit to McDermott for getting his team ready to win.  

Your whole argument about Beane not drafting Lamar is silly, considering that just about every other NFL team passed on him in Round 1 - including Baltimore.   The thinking was that he wouldn’t fit a conventional NFL offense - which he probably doesn’t.  

I think this is where you have to give Baltimore credit - they thought outside of the box and revamped their offense to fit Lamar.  And Lamar got better - he really wasn’t that great last season.  

Also, like Mahomes, I think it’s far-fetched to think he could replicate the success in had this season.  The again negative fans love to revise history

Nothing far fetched about Mahomes success. Lamar has to prove it over time. Lets not be negative about their success.

Jackson and Mahomes have first round byes and both will own MVP trophies after this season.

Most good coaches will customize the offense to fit the QB...to a degree. Lamar has gone from average to MVP with 3 games where he has thrown 5 td's.

Nothing hollow about the schedule issue, we played a pathetic NFC East, the worst division in football in years... I'm ok with that.

To your point the Bills are winning games that they would lose in other years so Mc Dermott deserves credit especially managing games where Allen isn't at his best..

To the original point of going from playoff caliber to championship caliber the Bills will need more from Allen. Keep in mind most QB's need 3 years to develop and I think Allen is one of those QB's and he will need to improve in the areas discussed. No problem giving credit where credit is due and with a 10-6 record  there is a lot to credit but you have to remain objective about how to get better.

Nothing negative but not looking away from the facts.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

What is the point of this thread?  

Yes, with the fewest attempts, Jackson has the most passing TDs in the league, making his game the most efficient in the league.  No one has figured him out yet.

He's nothing like Mike Vick--a terrible passer 

Allen has the most rushing TD's in the league from the QB position so go figure. If nobody figured Jackson out yet what happened vs Buffalo? 

It hard to argue with 36 TD's,

so you got me there...

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hoping they re-focus.

“They haven’t played well in a month?  That’s total  pessimistic Bills fan BS...and we all know this.  

Look at their opponents.  Outside of the Jets, you have 3 of the top 5 defenses.  The offenses struggled to score points in all 3 games - largely because their QB has struggled against these types of defenses.  Still the struggles on offense have been well documented, how has it been any worse this month? 

Still even with the offense struggling, the defense played well enough to keep the team within 1 play of winning the game in the 4th quarter.  Allen and the offense didn’t get it done.  

So yeah...your statement.  Total garbage

1 hour ago, VADC Bills said:

Nothing far fetched about Mahomes success. Lamar has to prove it over time. Lets not be negative about their success.

Jackson and Mahomes have first round byes and both will own MVP trophies after this season.

Most good coaches will customize the offense to fit the QB...to a degree. Lamar has gone from average to MVP with 3 games where he has thrown 5 td's.

Nothing hollow about the schedule issue, we played a pathetic NFC East, the worst division in football in years... I'm ok with that.

To your point the Bills are winning games that they would lose in other years so Mc Dermott deserves credit especially managing games where Allen isn't at his best..

To the original point of going from playoff caliber to championship caliber the Bills will need more from Allen. Keep in mind most QB's need 3 years to develop and I think Allen is one of those QB's and he will need to improve in the areas discussed. No problem giving credit where credit is due and with a 10-6 record  there is a lot to credit but you have to remain objective about how to get better.

Nothing negative but not looking away from the facts.

A lot of Mahomes success has to do with the situation he entered into. He would not have that in Buffalo.  Your original post implied that he could step into Buffalo and do what he’s done in KC.  That’s probably not the case when you consider the circumstances in Buffalo which have been talked to death. 

Also with Jackson, very few teams weren’t willing to do what Baltimore has done and change their offense.  If they were open to that, Lamar probably gets picked a lot sooner.  In fact if Baltimore didn’t draft him, how far does he drop?  

To go back and use hindsight just seems so pointless because you can always identify moves that should have or shouldn’t have been made without considering context.  

Thats like saying “The Bills never should have passed on Tom Brady 6 times in the 2000 draft.”  Come on!

But Im in agreement about Allen.  He does need to get better.  In fact, it annoys me to see so many people want to blame Daboll or the defense.  The fact (there’s that word again) is that he hasn’t been able to generate enough points to beat teams like NE or Baltimore.  

Edited by Phil The Thrill

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

“They haven’t played well in a month?  That’s total  pessimistic Bills fan BS...and we all know this.  

Look at their opponents.  Outside of the Jets, you have 3 of the top 5 defenses.  The offenses struggled to score points in all 3 games - largely because their QB has struggled against these types of defenses.  Still the struggles on offense have been well documented, how has it been any worse this month? 

Still even with the offense struggling, the defense played well enough to keep the team within 1 play of winning the game in the 4th quarter.  Allen and the offense didn’t get it done.  

So yeah...your statement.  Total garbage

They averaged a woeful 14 points per game in December.

Did not exceed 17 in any of the 4 games.

Yeah they played some good defenses.

But then they also got embarrassed defensively by their chief rival........who was otherwise struggling offensively.

Only win was a nail biter against a random undrafted rookie QB who threw an anemic 5 TD and 8 INT on the season.

Yes,  it's fair to say they didn't play well in the last month.