McDermott changes signs from “Playoff Caliber” to “Championship Caliber”

YoloinOhio

The Bills were fortunate to have the schedule work in their favor this year but we still could not beat the good teams consistently.

The Bills have trouble scoring more than 17 points per game.

I expect they will be better in these areas next year.

I would like to see Beane have a great draft scouting effort and picking the best players, as opposed to trading away picks to pick Josh Allen when Lamar Jackson could have fell in your lap (see Doug Whaley and Sammy Watkins). Not totally sold on Beane yet. 

Edited by VADC Bills
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Process and culture. 
this is big for all teams, but ESPECIALLY for a team like Buffalo. 
Small market. 
Least desirable NFL city to live in (based on survey)

AND SO you need to find players who want to be in a city like Buffalo. No divas. No head cases. Just lunch pail blue collar enjoy the small city life players. 

I love it, but the more I think about it winning in Houston would do a lot to set the culture for this team. A loss in Houston while disappointing wouldn't be the end of the world and the season is still a success. But even just getting one playoff win on the road while also getting to play a second road playoff game is both culture setting and valuable experience this team needs. I also think considering Houston isn't a powerhouse I don't see why the Bills can't set expectations higher. 

5 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

he's like the Anti-Marrone

Marrone started the messaging on the walls from what I remember.

Obviously we are in a good spot now with MCD, but Marrone Did some good things. 

Marrone was better than rex in that regard. 

Edited by london_bills

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Best coach we may EVER have had. Realize that will be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Marv should have been replaced after the first Super Bowl loss. He NEVER had control of his team in the way he should have. Had that team had Parcells or Johnson, we'd have two or three Super Bowls.

I hate to say it, but I agree that Marv was a problem.  McDermott is clearly a better coach.  

No way he' was going to get fired, but Parcells and Belichick simply outcoached him

4 hours ago, billrooter said:

Your right love Marv but he inherited alot of talent, he was a sub 500 NFL coach before Buffalo and that team made him a Hall of Famer, but sad thing is they still underachieved.

Jimmy Johnson,  Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells wouldn't have allowed his team to party the night before the game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Whether you like McDermott or not, he made a plan 3 years ago and it’s gone off close to how he planned it.  The “Championship Caliber” mantra is inline with where he thought the team would be going into the 3rd season.  Excellent job of developing and executing a long term plan.  

Now is where it gets tough...but if there were any doubts - McDermott is a damn good coach

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I hate to say it, but I agree that Marv was a problem.  McDermott is clearly a better coach.  

No way he' was going to get fired, but Parcells and Belichick simply outcoached him

If you are going by X’s and O’s and having a vision then yeah I would agree McDermott was better

Where Marv excelled was being a leader and managing the different personalities in the locker room.  The Bills could have ended up like the Cleveland Browns this season, and while they came close in 1989, Marv never let it happen.  He was also a great motivator and got his players to  work hard.

Of course, I think he had great fortune given the players Polian brought onto the team.  I also think that Ted Marchibroda and later JIm Kelly pretty much ran the offense, so he was lucky there too.  

4 hours ago, VADC Bills said:

The Bills were fortunate to have the schedule work in their favor this year but we still could not beat the good teams consistently.

I would like to see Beane have a great draft scouting effort and picking the best players, as opposed to trading away picks to pick Josh Allen when Lamar Jackson could have fell in your lap (see Doug Whaley and Sammy Watkins). Not totally sold on Beane yet. 

You should change your screen name to wet blanket.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Where Marv excelled was being a leader and managing the different personalities in the locker room.  The Bills could have ended up like the Cleveland Browns this season, and while they came close in 1989, Marv never let it happen.  He was also a great motivator and got his players to  work hard.

Actually, you're wrong about this.  When asked about whether he would have handled the run up to Super Bowl XXV in order to motivate his players better and get them more focused, Marv said something like the players are professionals and it's their job to motivate themselves.   That is wrong, for any leader, and completely contrary to how Parcels approached coaching.   Parcels viewed it as his job to get his players in the right frame of mind for big games.  

Marv was outcoached all around in that game.  His players weren't emotionally ready, and he didn't have an answer to Belichick's defense. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, you're wrong about this.  When asked about whether he would have handled the run up to Super Bowl XXV in order to motivate his players better and get them more focused, Marv said something like the players are professionals and it's their job to motivate themselves.   That is wrong, for any leader, and completely contrary to how Parcels approached coaching.   Parcels viewed it as his job to get his players in the right frame of mind for big games.  

Marv was outcoached all around in that game.  His players weren't emotionally ready, and he didn't have an answer to Belichick's defense. 

Interesting because the way that players talk about Marv made it sound like He was George S. Patton and that they would go to battle for him.  

I do agree that he was outcoached in every Super Bowl

5 hours ago, VADC Bills said:

The league will learn how to counter Lamar Jackson by stopping the run. The hits Jackson takes will start adding up IMO.

No way even with what I know now am I taking the second coming of Mike Vick over Josh Allen.

Can Jackson beat QB's like Mahomes or Rodgers with his arm? I think not

Time will tell...