McDermott changes signs from “Playoff Caliber” to “Championship Caliber”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, mattrock123 said:

Do you guys feel coaches and management will make the necessary adjustments to truly make this team 'Championship Caliber' moving forward?  Personally, I don't think what we saw in the regular season will cut it. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/01/02/bills-brass-must-continue-to-practice-what-they-preach/

I see you're on probation...hopefully we keep it that way...I'm not going to even try to explain my views to you. This is an @$$ backward post. Go away.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

They said "Playoff Caliber" before they made the playoffs ... and then they made the playoffs.

I've got no problem with them saying "Championship Caliber" at this point.

The idea that this regular season proves the Bills can't or won't become championship caliber in future seasons, and that they need to fire McDermott, is ludicrous.

We don't know what the future will bring. I'm expecting significant progress across multiple domains over the next few years. Progress on the overall roster via FA and draft. Progress on the field as young players develop. And progress from coaching staff as far as in game strategy goes. 

I also expect set backs and bumps on the road. 

But I'd rather give this group, Bean, McD ect. the reigns for better or worse for as long as possible. We might get 1 championship in the next 10 years.

But continuing the last 20 years of firing, hiring, firing, hiring, to satsify fans like the OP will be lucky to bring 1 playoff appearance in the next 10 years.

Edited by Motorin'

2 minutes ago, teef said:

if i could punch a thread, this would be the one.

it's nice to have nice things after 20 years

and another generation of new fans has to learn that men who watch sports tend to.... tinker mentally with any given situation, even when a team wins multiple titles, it's what we do...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

the Blue Jays dumped Bobby Cox when they made the playoffs, realized he was a total zero as a manager in the playoffs, made the change and won 2 titles

Are you talking about 2x World Series Champion, 4x Manager of the Year, 4th most wins amongst MLB managers and Hall of Famer Bobby Cox? 

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's so cute how you say, "till he gets his QB to replace Brady."

It's really not that simple.

in a sense, with BB, i think it is.

I strongly believe BB can plug in any average + talent @ QB and his system will take over the rest, just needs someone dedicated, above average intelligence and can make a few throws with timing.  BB doesn't need a Brees, Rogers, Wilson, etc.

for me it's the system BB has in place, and i think that's what scares Brady the most is if he leaves before BB someone else will come in and be just as successful and risk tarnishing his legacy in the perception of the public.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

the Blue Jays dumped Bobby Cox when they made the playoffs, realized he was a total zero as a manager in the playoffs, made the change and won 2 titles

Except they replaced cox with someone who never was a manager.  Williams lasted 4 years never winning the series.  And then when they replaced Williams they won.  So your example of Cox is not a great one.

And Cox took ATLANTA to many World Series.  I think 5.  So not so bad.

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, so long as this staff refuses to play Duke Williams, this coaching staff cannot be said to be seriously striving for a championship. 

Am I doing this right? 

I think you have to throw in that they also keep Wade rotting away on the practice squad, have shackled Allen from putting up big stats, have the worst OC to every hold the position in the NFL, have the worst kicker/punter combo in the league and can't move forward because the league won't allow owners to own 2 franchises in the same city in different league's and you have covered it all......

1 hour ago, KGun12TD said:

I see you're on probation...hopefully we keep it that way...I'm not going to even try to explain my views to you. This is an @$$ backward post. Go away.

Some people just don’t get it! We are seeing something special being built- were close barring no catastrophe’s.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the OP is reading too much into "Championship Caliber."  It is just McD raising the bar now that they are "Playoff Caliber."  It doesn't mean this team and coaches are "Championship Caliber" yet; I don't think they are at this point.

I assume "The Process" is what the OP is getting at here, which is supposed to be everyone (including coaches) improving.  Through "The Process" you get to "Championship Caliber"; at least that is how I interpret all these McD platitudes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Are you talking about 2x World Series Champion, 4x Manager of the Year, 4th most wins amongst MLB managers and Hall of Famer Bobby Cox? 

Hey, if you don't win 6 Super Bowls in your first 2 years as a head coach there's no chance you'll ever develop a championship caliber team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

to jump from playoff achieving to serious title contender will have to require some heartless moves at just the right time

dumping McD and bringing in a coach who has "been there" might be one of them

Honestly I give McDermott the most credit out of anyone for this year. He's a keeper IMO. You don't often land coaches this good.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Honestly I give McDermott the most credit out of anyone for this year. He's a keeper IMO. You don't often land coaches this good.

we'll see, everyone loses the room at some point, not in John Tortorella (sp) style necessarily

here's to a good 3-5 years coming up with some breaks taken advantage of

The Bills are at a caliber where they can realistically beat any team that lacks a top 5 defense.  Allen is 1-year away from removing that as a limitation of the team.  If we can avoid Baltimore, NE, and San Fran, then we have a legitimate chance to win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

The Bills are at a caliber where they can realistically beat any team that lacks a top 5 defense.  Allen is 1-year away from removing that as a limitation of the team.  If we can avoid Baltimore, NE, and San Fran, then we have a legitimate chance to win.

it's nice to feel good about the team this late in a given January, and for the immediate future as well

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

The one team (and I have been on record saying this) that can go in and beat the Pats is the Titans. I would love to see Henry cram it down their throats and control the clock.

You truly believe a new stadium is coming? As much as I love going to New Era a new stadium is needed. I think something like Lucas Oil Field would be perfect here. The price tag for that build was around 730 mil which is 880 mil in todays inflated market. Building that in NY with higher costs would put it at a billion imo. Can this town afford that? The Pegulas would have to pay a portion as Indy ownership paid 100 mil towards Lucas.

Bills 34, I’m betting the State would cough up half if the Pegulas basically will revitalize the downtown area, and probably build a couple more hotels.  I may be delusional, but if I were Terry and Kim, I’d go to Goodell and say we’ll build this and invest in this area, but you have to cough up a SB in the future.  I couldn’t agree more than a Lucas Oil stadium although I’d love for it to be retractable so when Miami comes up in December we open the roof.  By 2023, we should have four winning seasons, and much more national coverage.

Good take though bud.

3 hours ago, mattrock123 said:

Do you guys feel coaches and management will make the necessary adjustments to truly make this team 'Championship Caliber' moving forward?  Personally, I don't think what we saw in the regular season will cut it. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/01/02/bills-brass-must-continue-to-practice-what-they-preach/

That's the kind of post you bring for your 6th ever?