McDermott changes signs from “Playoff Caliber” to “Championship Caliber”

YoloinOhio

I am not sure if the OP was being a troll, but on a serious note, I tend to agree with the notion that the team will have to play at a different level in the playoffs if they expect to truly be "Championship Caliber".

This means employing an aggressive defense like we saw against the Cowboys and Steelers -- and NOT the laid back one we saw against the Pats two weeks ago. Offensively, it is also time to let Josh Allen wear big boy pants, rather than play overly conservative -- as has been the case since the win over Dallas.

Nothing that Beane has done so far has led me to believe that they WON’T do everything in their power to get us to a championship-caliber status.

I don’t think we are quite “championship-caliber” this season, but hey... anything can happen in the playoffs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I am not sure if the OP was being a troll, but on a serious note, I tend to agree with the notion that the team will have to play at a different level in the playoffs if they expect to truly be "Championship Caliber".

This means employing an aggressive defense like we saw against the Cowboys and Steelers -- and NOT the laid back one we saw against the Pats two weeks ago. Offensively, it is also time to let Josh Allen wear big boy pants, rather than play overly conservative -- as has been the case since the win over Dallas.

I have to have some belief they slow played things a little since Dallas. We ran a completely different style offense in the preseason and even to start the firstJets game. That’s still in there somewhere they didn’t just eliminate it from the playbook. 
I expect (and that’s just my opinion) that daboll has some variations of this stuff he’s been doing saved just for these playoffs. 
Why waste them and put them on film? We can argue if they went all out and got the 2 seed or were content holding the 5 spot but only they’ll ever know. 
I expect this team to pull out any and everything in the arsenal for the playoffs. 
I expect the defense to blitz in key situations and basically just play contain on Watson most of the time similar to how they played Baltimore. 

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I just don't get it.  Haven't you been listening?  What we saw in the regular season never was the objective.   It's only a step in the process.   McBeane are slowly and steadily building this team.  They never intended that the team would peak in 2019, and it hasn't.   There's more to come.  

What's coming?   A new OLB, one or two offensive linemen, one or two receivers, a running back, more DBs.  

Give it time. 

I hope you're right, but I don't think things are that linear. Although making upgrades will help, I still think we need that killer instinct from the likes of McDermott & co. moving forward.  Time to take the training wheels off and be more aggressive (without being reckless).  I also hate the idea of relying on attrition from other contenders in the coming years (which someone else posted).  That's such a passive attitude that will likely blow up in their face.

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

when Brady retires the Pats will crater, the Jets and Fish stink

so 7 wins would be enough to win the division

and you can load manage an 11 win team down to 7 wins under that structure

You do know BB had an 11 win season with Matt Cassell as his starting Qb right?  7 wins will not win the division with BB as HC of the Pats maybe 9 more likely  10 or 11 wins.. 

look what he has drafted recently in the first round OT, RB, and WR.. BB preparing for Brady be gone and will rebuild till he gets his QB replace Brady. I WISH they would suck say next year and get Lawrence from Clemson in the draft but I doubt they will..

as to if the Bills are championship caliber.. they are in the race and have as good of a chance win it all as anyone.. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

You do know BB had an 11 win season with Matt Cassell as his starting Qb right?  7 wins will not win the division with BB as HC of the Pats maybe 9 more likely  10 or 11 wins.. 

look what he has drafted recently in the first round OT, RB, and WR.. BB preparing for Brady be gone and will rebuild till he gets his QB replace Brady. I WISH they would suck say next year and get Lawrence from Clemson in the draft but I doubt they will..

as to if the Bills are championship caliber.. they are in the race and have as good of a chance win it all as anyone.. 

It's so cute how you say, "till he gets his QB to replace Brady."

It's really not that simple.

46 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Metaphorically, I never “aim to shoot the dog”. ( my old manager used to use that West Virginian phrase).  You always aim high as an athlete.  With a humiliating loss to the Titans Saturday, let’s hope  B & B retire, and then we own the AFCE with more talent in free agency and the draft.  Nothing less than 10 wins every year.

We get our next Tomlin meaning a winning coach and Mgmt for over a decade, and bring pride back to this great city.  We want teams afraid to play Buffalo in New Era field and the next stadium as that is coming in there to four years.  I certainly hope we repeat Seattle’s architecture so wind is cut down, the noise level is deafening, and the partial roof cuts down on the snow and rain for fans.

The one team (and I have been on record saying this) that can go in and beat the Pats is the Titans. I would love to see Henry cram it down their throats and control the clock.

You truly believe a new stadium is coming? As much as I love going to New Era a new stadium is needed. I think something like Lucas Oil Field would be perfect here. The price tag for that build was around 730 mil which is 880 mil in todays inflated market. Building that in NY with higher costs would put it at a billion imo. Can this town afford that? The Pegulas would have to pay a portion as Indy ownership paid 100 mil towards Lucas.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's so cute how you say, "till he gets his QB to replace Brady."

It's really not that simple.

Didn’t mean make it sound simple, he will have a game manager in there whose job is to not mess up  and let the D win games. Circa 2001.. they will be run heavy with short safe passes thrown in.  I don’t think I’m wrong that with BB as HC the Pats aren’t going to crumble to dust as the OP thinks.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Didn’t mean make it sound simple, he will have a game manager in there whose job is to not mess up  and let the D win games. Circa 2001.. they will be run heavy with short safe passes thrown in.  I don’t think I’m wrong that with BB as HC the Pats aren’t going to crumble to dust as the OP thinks.

I don't think the OP is the only one who thinks that.  I think everyone except Pats* fans believes it.  And when it happens, 1/2 of those "rabid" Pats* fans will forget there's a football team in Foxborough.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t think the Pats will completely fall apart but I do believe they will not own the division year in and year out like they have. With the right management and vision todays NFL affords the opportunity to re-tool rather quickly. It will be interesting to see if the Dolphins have it in them. They certainly have the stock to do so. Cleveland is an example of re-tooling without the correct vision and culture.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

They can absolutely compete with a Marcus Mariota kinda guy and draft/develop someone else. If Brady did retire I could see them targeting cam newton and trying to mimic the success of Baltimore in their own way. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think the OP is the only one who thinks that.  I think everyone except Pats* fans believes it.  And when it happens, 1/2 of those "rabid" Pats* fans will forget there's a football team in Foxborough.

I agree probably like 2/3 actually. We have some die hard fans but hard tell how many new ones are real right now.   I believe the fall will happen when BB leaves... that’s the year the wheels fall off. 

• Like (+1) 1

No more or less than “ Playoff Caliber” it is s motivational tool, as well as a marketing tool.

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, mattrock123 said:

Do you guys feel coaches and management will make the necessary adjustments to truly make this team 'Championship Caliber' moving forward?  Personally, I don't think what we saw in the regular season will cut it. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/01/02/bills-brass-must-continue-to-practice-what-they-preach/

Have you not been paying attention to what McDermott and Beane have been doing lately?

The new personnel that they have been bringing in to make the Bills a better and more competitive team?

Do you suddenly think that when the off season begins, that with nearly 90 million in salary cap space and 9 draft picks, the people in the front office are just going to sit back and keep things as is and not attempt to make more improvements? 

Let's rip everything down and rebuild, every 3 years, for the next 20 years! 

Fire every one! Bring in a new GM, make the switch to a 3-4. Let's have a QB controversy, maybe Jason Garrett's available? He has playoff experience. 

Maybe Tony Romo will come out of retirement and bring the band back together? 

The Bills ARE going move to Toronto...............

So tired of amateur Steven A. Smith / Max Kellermen hot takes. The real ones are bad enough. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mattrock123 said:

Do you guys feel coaches and management will make the necessary adjustments to truly make this team 'Championship Caliber' moving forward?  Personally, I don't think what we saw in the regular season will cut it. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/01/02/bills-brass-must-continue-to-practice-what-they-preach/

Stop, just stop.  You obviously have zero clue on building a team of any type.   Go back to your parents basement and have Chinese food while whacking to the internet.