McDermott changes signs from “Playoff Caliber” to “Championship Caliber”

YoloinOhio

Just now, Golden*Wheels said:

he's like the Anti-Marrone

Best coach we may EVER have had. Realize that will be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Marv should have been replaced after the first Super Bowl loss. He NEVER had control of his team in the way he should have. Had that team had Parcells or Johnson, we'd have two or three Super Bowls.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Wait a second. I think we'd all like to think it remains "Championship Caliber" next regular season, but don't I remember him doing this in 2017 too? Then it goes back to "Playoff Caliber" the next year. ?

Yes he did the same thing in 2017

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

That's silly. The standard should be championship.

Not sure I would call it “silly” - it’s his whole approach to everything that he’s focused on one game at a time. That’s been their mantra all year - each week they focus on going 1-0. Every player says this. They never get too high or too low. It makes sense that he would focus on playoffs first, given his process based  approach 

McDermott explained after his team’s final home game of the regular season - a 13-6 loss to the New York Jets played mostly by Buffalo’s back ups - that the goal entering the season was to win a Super Bowl but to get there you have to become a playoff caliber football team.

“To give yourself a chance (to win the Super Bowl), that’s where playoff caliber comes in and that’s a day to day standard,” McDermott said. “A day to day barometer of the standard, and now that we’re in, as of a week or so ago, we changed it to championship caliber. And we know that we respect the challenge that’s in front of us too and that’s what we’re trying to go through as an organization. It’s going to take all of us and we’re going to have a really good week, a focused week here as we move forward.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Best coach we may EVER have had. Realize that will be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Marv should have been replaced after the first Super Bowl loss. He NEVER had control of his team in the way he should have. Had that team had Parcells or Johnson, we'd have two or three Super Bowls.

Your right love Marv but he inherited alot of talent, he was a sub 500 NFL coach before Buffalo and that team made him a Hall of Famer, but sad thing is they still underachieved.