Houston Tailgate Official Info

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Check out the Houston Bills Backers Facebook page.  Many out of towners are coordinating (or trying to) grill sharing, food, and beverage.  You may find someone able to help you out ahead of time or find someone at the lot mentioned in the OP who will lend you some grill space.  

I am considering getting a party pack of fajita from El Tiempo for simplicity sake (they're available on Uber Eats too).  It comes with plates, napkins, cutlery, everything you need.  Also flirting with the idea of getting a $35 charcoal grill and picking up a Killen's ready cooked brisket from HEB, some bread, and sauce, and reheating.

These things are decent in a pinch.  https://www.amazon.com/slp/disposable-grills/f364vmk2ypr754p

Thanks for the info!

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

Is there a place people would recommend for real (non breaded) wings?

Pluckers is very hit or miss but when they're on point they are quite good.  For an authentic buffalo wing, that's the place to go.  Wait times are often in excess of an hour and during peak times, quality suffers. 

On the less conventional side, Hay Merchant smokes their wings (and half the time fries them afterward) which are also great when they're executing (PB&J are my fave there).  Its also a great beer bar with excellent food since its owned by a big time chef.  Dak n Bop (located in the Museum District) serves battered Korean style wings.  Sriracha lime and Buffalo hot are very good.  Fuego's on Washington Ave breads their wings but they are consistently well cooked and crunchy (I loathe rubbery skin). 

Houston is a top notch food city but wings is not something we're known for.  I would strongly encourage you to avoid wings on this trip and opt for something we do well.    

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Check out the Houston Bills Backers Facebook page.  Many out of towners are coordinating (or trying to) grill sharing, food, and beverage.  You may find someone able to help you out ahead of time or find someone at the lot mentioned in the OP who will lend you some grill space.  

I am considering getting a party pack of fajita from El Tiempo for simplicity sake (they're available on Uber Eats too).  It comes with plates, napkins, cutlery, everything you need.  Also flirting with the idea of getting a $35 charcoal grill and picking up a Killen's ready cooked brisket from HEB, some bread, and sauce, and reheating.

These things are decent in a pinch.  https://www.amazon.com/slp/disposable-grills/f364vmk2ypr754p

This sounds like an interesting blend of bars/restaurants and lot tailgating/grilling.  Unfortunately I can’t make it, but I’d love to see it!  If you are starting with a blank slate, you should be able to mold it into a mix that could satisfy (almost) everyone. Right? Yes, I’m referring to any future WNY venue, and I apologize for bringing that up here, but this whole thing sounds pretty awesome and I’m jealous.

I will have to experience this vicariously, so please keep it up!  

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Pluckers is very hit or miss but when they're on point they are quite good.  For an authentic buffalo wing, that's the place to go.  Wait times are often in excess of an hour and during peak times, quality suffers. 

On the less conventional side, Hay Merchant smokes their wings (and half the time fries them afterward) which are also great when they're executing (PB&J are my fave there).  Its also a great beer bar with excellent food since its owned by a big time chef.  Dak n Bop (located in the Museum District) serves battered Korean style wings.  Sriracha lime and Buffalo hot are very good.  Fuego's on Washington Ave breads their wings but they are consistently well cooked and crunchy (I loathe rubbery skin). 

Houston is a top notch food city but wings is not something we're known for.  I would strongly encourage you to avoid wings on this trip and opt for something we do well.    

Pluckers, fire in the hole are actually pretty good. When I go there I ask for extra sauce for my fries

2 minutes ago, Speedy Beebe said:

Pluckers, fire in the hole are actually pretty good. When I go there I ask for extra sauce for my fries

Their sauces are tasty but its the wing cookery that is inconsistent.  They double fry them which I like, but I've had too many lukewarm/cold and soggy wings from Pluckers.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Their sauces are tasty but its the wing cookery that is inconsistent.  They double fry them which I like, but I've had too many lukewarm/cold and soggy wings from Pluckers.

I live near Austin and go to a location in Round Rock. I’ve yet to have any cold or like warm wings there. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

call me a curmudgeon, but unless that place is like 20,000 sq feet, i would not plan on spending to much time there. The "official" parties have been so crowded since that Jacksonville game.

They have always closed the street for the party but it will be WAY more people than the last few times. I try to swing by those parties for an hour catch the atmosphere and then go get dinner and drinks. It’s just so crowded.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You all can't just marinate wings in hot sauce, throw them on the grill, then dunk in ranch dressing?  Shouldn't be too hard, I can even do that and I suck at cooking.

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You all can't just marinate wings in hot sauce, throw them on the grill, then dunk in ranch dressing?  Shouldn't be too hard, I can even do that and I suck at cooking.

I believe you could/should face at least some brief prison time for that. Probably some community service and 2-3 weekends with the nephew of @plenzmd1 to make the world a better place. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

ranch dressing?  Can someone call in a mod for some warning points?  Jesus, you not only suck at cooking, you suck at eating.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I believe you could/should face at least some brief prison time for that. Probably some community service and 2-3 weekends with the nephew of @plenzmd1 to make the world a better place. 

Yes, the world would be a better place if more people had ranch with their wings.  

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yes, the world would be a better place if more people had ranch with their wings.  

Ranch has it’s place, with homemade chips. Or even veggies. Get that stuff near wings and you are running risks. We will Dizzy Bat, then come after your arse!  (OK, You’ll probably be safe for a while, but we will eventually be relentless!) 

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Don’t know what my nephew has to do with this. 

You are “the face” of the awesome wings. And they are awesome! But at some point, you need to actually DO. Is Emeril a great chef, or is he just selling toaster ovens on TV now? You have to own your identity. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do I need a parking pass for this lot or is it 1st come 1st serve? It’s different than where we were last year correct?

No parking pass necessary.

Opens at 8 AM 

First come first serve.

$40.00 cost per car.

Yes ,it's definitely different.

Check the Houston Bills Backers Facebook Group several times a day for up to date information.

Oh...and...see you there.

• Like (+1) 3