Appreciate this team and season

The Red King

At the beginning of the season I predicted 10-6. When Roethlisberger got hurt, I changed it to 11-5 (I originally had that as a loss). 

If the AFC was a little bit stronger and we'd have had something to play for yesterday, I have no doubt we'd have won that game easily to get to 11-5. 

This is exactly what I expected, but not what the media at large (who doesn't pay attention daily to what's going on in Buffalo) expected.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

At the beginning of the season I predicted 10-6. When Roethlisberger got hurt, I changed it to 11-5 (I originally had that as a loss). 

If the AFC was a little bit stronger and we'd have had something to play for yesterday, I have no doubt we'd have won that game easily to get to 11-5. 

This is exactly what I expected, but not what the media at large (who doesn't pay attention daily to what's going on in Buffalo) expected.

I, too picked 10-6 back in July. Can't find the post because of the arcane search function of this software, but it's there.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Rah rah rah!!!!  Wow better call Murph & Tasker, you're their type of caller.....

I predicted 10-6, but expected a much better offense & yes the Defense was still good this year.  Little did we know in the AFC Pitt loses their starting QB for the season, NYJ are terrible out of the gate, Cleveland & LAC imploded, Andrew Luck retired & Tenn misses 4fgs vs. the Bills and Mariotta is buried following the win.

It was a good season as they won every game they should have, a surprising (not in retrospect) win vs. Dallas & that was about it.

Image result for tiny violin gif

• Like (+1) 1

Did we catch some breaks here and there this season?  Yes, maybe we did.  Didn’t have the toughest schedule, Jets and Titans missed some kicks against us, etc.  But it certainly took quite a few bad breaks against the Bills during the drought.  For all the bad breaks the Bills have had over the years, I am thrilled with how this season has gone.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm old enough to know what winning every year and being Super Bowl favorites is like. It's been a long time.  And I would hope everyone that's a fan of this team knows that double digit win seasons and playoff games don't come around often.    Enjoy it!  I agree.  It's been a great season to be a Bills fan. If someone can't look back at this season and be proud, can't look forward to this playoff game and be excited, can't appreciate the long hard road we all have been down to get here... well then they're just sad souls.  I wish them well. I wish they could see the fun we're all having.   

Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Red King said:

At this point, I am dismayed to see just how far fans will go to find a downside in something good.  Two years ago Buffalo broke a seventeen year playoff drought.  Some were not content with that.  It was somehow tarnished or tainted because it took a Cincy win to get in.  Some even somehow claimed the streak wasn't "really broken".

Fast-forward two years.  Buffalo addresses that critisism.  10-6, the top wild card secured with a full two weeks left in the season.  They needed no help at all to get in.  So...now we can be happy, right?  No, no...now it's not legitimate because of a weak schedule.  Because of that, some posters act like we were supposed to win 10+ games.  That this season was simply meeting expectations.  Or, to some, actually falling short of them.

Really?

During the preseason, if you would have told us that we'd be in this position, this record, the #5 seed, we would have been thrilled!  How many Bills fans predicted this?  And look at the media.  For all this talk that 10-6 was expected with the schedule, I defy you to hit ESPN, SI or such and find any analyst that predicted Buffalo would hit 10+ wins.  So no, Buffalo did not just do what was expected of them with this schedule.  The Bills exceeded expectations.  This is a season they should be proud of, regardless of how the postseason plays out.  They are not a perfect team.  They have warts.  Nobody would deny that.  But to handwave or dismiss this season because of them?

We talk about Pats fans being entitled, but if you look inward it seems pretty clear we have some entitled Bills fans as well.  Stop waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Stop hunting and scouring for something to delegitimatise this team and season.  The Bills exceeded expectations this season.  They may not be perfect but man, just sit back and enjoy the ride.  It's been decades since we've been able to.

Yes thank you for saying this, because after reading some of the responses here, there are members that should take what you say to heart. 

Some Bills fans are a walking contradiction.  When the team wins a game they act like the Super Bowl is next.  When the team loses they act like it’s the end of the world.  When the lose to NE, they literally cry and say “oh why can’t we beat the Patriots.”

It’s actually pretty sad, but from what zone read Cleveland Browns fans are the same way.  Losing for so long seems to take a toll on fanbase.

I also think a lot of fans are highly influenced by the media that talks down about Buffalo - namely PFF, Mike Schopp or anyone else.  You will see some people here or on Twitter using the same arguments...verbatim.  

It’s extremely annoying 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

I think you have to realistic to where this team is at.  They were 6-10 a year ago with a “a parody of an NFL QB.”  Regardless of what people will say, most unbiased observers took a look at the schedule and predicted 6 or 7 wins.  Very few knowledgeable people picked them to make the playoffs and many predicted that Allen wouldn’t produce as much as he has.  

Based on the comments here, it seems that people expect this team to contend for the Super Bowl when in reality they are probably a few players away.  

16 hours ago, The Red King said:

At this point, I am dismayed to see just how far fans will go to find a downside in something good.  Two years ago Buffalo broke a seventeen year playoff drought.  Some were not content with that.  It was somehow tarnished or tainted because it took a Cincy win to get in.  Some even somehow claimed the streak wasn't "really broken".

Fast-forward two years.  Buffalo addresses that critisism.  10-6, the top wild card secured with a full two weeks left in the season.  They needed no help at all to get in.  So...now we can be happy, right?  No, no...now it's not legitimate because of a weak schedule.  Because of that, some posters act like we were supposed to win 10+ games.  That this season was simply meeting expectations.  Or, to some, actually falling short of them.

Really?

During the preseason, if you would have told us that we'd be in this position, this record, the #5 seed, we would have been thrilled!  How many Bills fans predicted this?  And look at the media.  For all this talk that 10-6 was expected with the schedule, I defy you to hit ESPN, SI or such and find any analyst that predicted Buffalo would hit 10+ wins.  So no, Buffalo did not just do what was expected of them with this schedule.  The Bills exceeded expectations.  This is a season they should be proud of, regardless of how the postseason plays out.  They are not a perfect team.  They have warts.  Nobody would deny that.  But to handwave or dismiss this season because of them?

We talk about Pats fans being entitled, but if you look inward it seems pretty clear we have some entitled Bills fans as well.  Stop waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Stop hunting and scouring for something to delegitimatise this team and season.  The Bills exceeded expectations this season.  They may not be perfect but man, just sit back and enjoy the ride.  It's been decades since we've been able to.

totally agree everyone wants a Superbowl win when they cant even enjoy a victory.

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think you have to realistic to where this team is at.  They were 6-10 a year ago with a “a parody of an NFL QB.”  Regardless of what people will say, most unbiased observers took a look at the schedule and predicted 6 or 7 wins.  Very few knowledgeable people picked them to make the playoffs and many predicted that Allen wouldn’t produce as much as he has.  

Based on the comments here, it seems that people expect this team to contend for the Super Bowl when in reality they are probably a few players away.  

I expected them to be right where they are. 10 wins and in the wildcard round. Doesn't mean I am taking any credit away from the Bills but I always saw this schedule as an opportunity and I believe that McDermott and Beane are on the right path with the way they are trying to build this thing. I am kind of where the coach is. 2017 was just about being "playoff calibre" break the drought at all costs. Now we have made it again this year in different circumstances with a young sustainable core this organisation has to raise its expectations. 

We have spent so long as fans asking what it would take to get this team into the post season. We need to start asking what it will take to win a Championship. That is McDermott's expectation. That is Beane's expectation. That is our new normal. It will take some getting used to, I get it, but there is nothing wrong with having high expectations. 

I thought we’d go 11-5, and probably would have if Sunday meant anything. That out of the way, this season comes down to the Playoffs, Winning a Playoff Game & creating some havoc.

We haven’t officially arrived until we win a playoff game. Winning on the road against a great offense & improving defense that is well coached won’t be easy. We have a punchers chance & Allen has proven he can play clean games. If he can keep his completion percentage up around 60% or higher & our lines dominate I believe we will win. 

So to recap I appreciate all that has been accomplished but I’m not satisfied with just making it to the dance. I want to bang the prom queen. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

21 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Rah rah rah!!!!  Wow better call Murph & Tasker, you're their type of caller.....

I predicted 10-6, but expected a much better offense & yes the Defense was still good this year.  Little did we know in the AFC Pitt loses their starting QB for the season, NYJ are terrible out of the gate, Cleveland & LAC imploded, Andrew Luck retired & Tenn misses 4fgs vs. the Bills and Mariotta is buried following the win.

It was a good season as they won every game they should have, a surprising (not in retrospect) win vs. Dallas & that was about it.

god you're awful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1