Appreciate this team and season

The Red King

At this point, I am dismayed to see just how far fans will go to find a downside in something good.  Two years ago Buffalo broke a seventeen year playoff drought.  Some were not content with that.  It was somehow tarnished or tainted because it took a Cincy win to get in.  Some even somehow claimed the streak wasn't "really broken".

Fast-forward two years.  Buffalo addresses that critisism.  10-6, the top wild card secured with a full two weeks left in the season.  They needed no help at all to get in.  So...now we can be happy, right?  No, no...now it's not legitimate because of a weak schedule.  Because of that, some posters act like we were supposed to win 10+ games.  That this season was simply meeting expectations.  Or, to some, actually falling short of them.

Really?

During the preseason, if you would have told us that we'd be in this position, this record, the #5 seed, we would have been thrilled!  How many Bills fans predicted this?  And look at the media.  For all this talk that 10-6 was expected with the schedule, I defy you to hit ESPN, SI or such and find any analyst that predicted Buffalo would hit 10+ wins.  So no, Buffalo did not just do what was expected of them with this schedule.  The Bills exceeded expectations.  This is a season they should be proud of, regardless of how the postseason plays out.  They are not a perfect team.  They have warts.  Nobody would deny that.  But to handwave or dismiss this season because of them?

We talk about Pats fans being entitled, but if you look inward it seems pretty clear we have some entitled Bills fans as well.  Stop waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Stop hunting and scouring for something to delegitimatise this team and season.  The Bills exceeded expectations this season.  They may not be perfect but man, just sit back and enjoy the ride.  It's been decades since we've been able to.

Edited by The Red King
More descriptive title
  • Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

At this point, I am dismayed to see just how far fans will go to find a downside in something good.  Two years ago Buffalo broke a seventeen year playoff drought.  Some were not content with that.  It was somehow tarnished or tainted because it took a Cincy win to get in.  Some even somehow claimed the streak wasn't "really broken".

Fast-forward two years.  Buffalo addresses that critisism.  10-6, the top wild card secured with a full two weeks left in the season.  They needed no help at all to get in.  So...now we can be happy, right?  No, no...now it's not legitimate because of a weak schedule.  Because of that, some posters act like we were supposed to win 10+ games.  That this season was simply meeting expectations.  Or, to some, actually falling short of them.

Really?

During the preseason, if you would have told us that we'd be in this position, this record, the #5 seed, we would have been thrilled!  How many Bills fans predicted this?  And look at the media.  For all this talk that 10-6 was expected with the schedule, I defy you to hit ESPN, SI or such and find any analyst that predicted Buffalo would hit 10+ wins.  So no, Buffalo did not just do what was expected of them with this schedule.  The Bills exceeded expectations.  This is a season they should be proud of, regardless of how the postseason plays out.  They are not a perfect team.  They have warts.  Nobody would deny that.  But to handwave or dismiss this season because of them?

We talk about Pats fans being entitled, but if you look inward it seems pretty clear we have some entitled Bills fans as well.  Stop waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Stop hunting and scouring for something to delegitimatise this team and season.  The Bills exceeded expectations this season.  They may not be perfect but man, just sit back and enjoy the ride.  It's been decades since we've been able to.

I love this post. I love everything about this post.

• Like (+1) 5

Yeah I think most of us are grateful and appreciative.  We have a fun team to watch, good owner, coaches and players. 

There will always be the negative fans who demand perfection, but every team in the league has been beaten multiple times this year, and the one thing we know about the playoffs is any team can win it all if they have a little luck.

This would be the best Saturday of all time if we can advance and the Pats get popped by the Titans.

• Like (+1) 1

I admit, I predicted this team to be 8-8 before the season. Even 8-8 would still have been an improvement over last season. At 10-6 I am happy. The bills are nowhere near perfect and definitely need to improve on offense. But win or lose this weekend, I'm happy overall with the season 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Really?

I started the season predicting 10-6. I called 12 of the 16 games right. Flip Cleveland and Jets (I had as wins) for Dallas and Pittsburgh (I had as losses).

I expected them to be good, they were good, I am really happy they were good, I think they have a chance to win a playoff game. If they win that playoff game they have exceeded my expectations. I want them to go and improve again and be even better next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Pretty much! I wish I could remember who said this to me here, it was basically this (though I have added a bit):

We  get a new coach. First year in, the team breaks the longest NFL playoff drought.

Second year in is kinda rough but that is the year he brings in "his" young QB.

Third year, we lock up the playoffs with weeks left in the season, and have our highest win total in 20 f'ing years.

Sure, we ain't invincible. But I won't look this gift horse in the mouth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

great point- it's been a fun season I've made a couple road trips had a blast and my team won.

As we look at coaching changes and other teams problems i had a few thoughts:

How McBeane have brought along Josh Allen is perfect we're is such a hurry to compare to Lamar, Baker, Darnold, Rosen others and fantasy numbers and what ever else in our confusion we think matters. These guys are 23 it's not a one year draft pick he's here for a while and I love his progress we are not asking him to be the savior and do things that are too much of an ask and puts guys in a non confident position (Baker Mayfield) They remind me of the way Seattle did things with Russell Wilson and his style reminds me of Allen. Yes Seattle had a kick butt o-line and a better running game but the ask wasn't unrealistic. Surrounded him with good players and a good defense and played a game that didn't allow them to get blown out. 13 games Seattle defense gave up 20 or less that allows him to grow and win games gaining confidence winning with passing numbers 108-172-199-139-123-142-202-149-210-206. Then went on to win the super bowl with playoff games of 103-215-206. As an example Jets and Browns are in such a hurry to crown them next great and TV needs replacements for Brees-Rothlisberger-Brady. Baker had descent numbers last year playing from behind and it gave the Brown a false read that he was somehow ready to be great obviously he's not he's 24 and on his third coach. Darnold is trying to pull an entire organization with him that's a hot mess. Despite a 6-2 second half would anyone use the word good when talking about the Jets or even descent. The point is this we all want quick success it's hard to do it the patient way and not put your quarterback in positions to fail when they are still very young. Especially someone like Josh not a high recruit coming out of high school as we know had to go to junior college and JUCO football is not JUCO baseball. Then couldn't find any takers wound up at Wyoming and yet some expect his returns to be close to Manning because he was selected 7th over all. That selection is based on potential his back round tells you some assembly required not take him out of the box and he's ready to go. He's in year 2 at 23 and we're going to the playoffs and are going to be good for a while. When I think about Joe Borrow are the Bengals going to be patient with him, build around him, let him slowly develop into great QB ? Or ask him to make unrealistic plays in a no win situation and wreck him because we are too impatient. Rookie coach won 1 game will they let him have a 3-13 season unlikely so he's probably on coach 2 in year two. Even though he will be 24 in his rookie year and they feel like if we wait 3-4 years he'll be 28 and have a 7-8 year career the other option is he'll be 26-27 and on his third coach. Mayfield will be 25 next year he is 12-17 the shine is off, the cockiness is gone now it's an act. The making others around him better doesn't exist he has Chubb he has Landry he has Beckham and a seat on the couch waiting to see who his next coach is- and  this one he's not picking.

Enjoy the playoffs we're a good team, a young team, a close team with a ton of cap room and a ton of picks. The Window is wide open for a while and a large reason is we brought the quarterback along the right way.

Edited by CardinalScotts
  • Like (+1) 2

Great post OP.

Right now it’s kind of like playing with house money. The team the self doesn’t feel that way, which is the way it should be, and they have a chance to win Saturday against a team I think they match up fairly well against.

But mostly I’m hopeful and looking forward to seeing our young players develop and the front office to continue to add to this roster in the off-season (particularly on offense, another WR, RB, and a guard if they don’t bring back Spain).

I felt very confident that the Bills would be pretty good this year. Common sense would have lead most football fans to believe that the Bills would be at least a bit stronger as a team than they were in 2018, and with the way the first half of the schedule was laid out, I thought that the Bills had a good chance to be 6-2/5-3 at the halfway point, giving the players confidence going into the tough back half of the schedule. 

Common sense in the eyes of the national media is that the Bills won't be very good, simply because they're the Bills, and the Bills were proving them to be right for years. We all know that most national media outlets don't really pay close attention to the Bills due to market size and lack of success or star players in the past. They're starting to pay more attention now, but for years, their general knowledge of the Bills was minimal, so it shouldn't be a surprise that most weren't very high on the Bills this summer. 

As for Bills fans and complaining/whining, it's the same with every team. There are so many different types of people in the world, and different perceptions and perspectives. We're always going to hear/read idiotic and knee-jerk comments from certain people no matter what happens.

It's best to simply ignore the stupidity, or laugh at it. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Going into this season I was just looking for improvement and for the front office to have a plan going forward. I thought 8-8 or 9-7 and the Bills would build on that going into the offseason. The Bills were only blown out of one game. If the Bills were not resting starters they would be 11-5. As the Bills have exceeded expectations, they have also raised the bar. I dont think any fan is going to be happy just being in the playoffs, we are looking for a playoff win. I think the Bills are probably a season away from being a contender but there is no reason they cant go in and beat the Texans. No matter how this season turns out, I have confidence in that the right people are running the show at OBD. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great post Red! You share my sentiments exactly.

I'll add that earlier this year we had to read through posts calling for Beane and McDermott to be fired, as well. Now it seems to be all about firing Daboll.

I've been attending Bills games since 1963 and the Bills fan base has always been like this. Those of us old-timers remember them calling for Lou Saban to be fired and Jack Kemp to be cut as they guided us to two championships. Coaches and players always have called the Bills fan base "passionate" but I have never heard us called "wise" or "intelligent."

We're very lucky on this board. We have a dozen or so very wise and intelligent fans that are extremely well informed. But as a microcosm of Bills fandom, we also have a huge number of the above mentioned passionate loons. It might be worse among the younger fans nationally, but I think it's just Buffalo fans here. That's why WGR employs the nuts on-the-air. It works in the WNY market. In my eyes, it's a shame. It isn't going to change though.

I agree that it would be nice to have fans simply enjoy the successes and the growth of this good football team. It's just not in their DNA.

I'm 32, so this is literally the first Bills season since I was in middle school with 10 wins.  

31 teams lose every year.  It's really hard to win it all.  We most likely DON'T win the SuperBowl this season.  But at least we had a good year. I choose to judge the results on a sliding scale.  If you are "championship or it's all a waste", well then I assume you're a very disappointed person.

Buffalo beat its Vegas over/under by 4 wins.  That's impressive in itself.

What I hope doesn't happen is another 10-3 lifeless road playoff loss.  Look like you belong with your AFC peers.  We need 3 offensive touchdowns minimum.  I just don't want to get embarrassed on national TV.  Yes, I'm lowering expectations.  But come on, they're gonna be an underdog throughout this tournament.  It's life as a 5 seed.

Great post.  Prior to the season, I was predicting 9-7 and in the playoff hunt.  Locking up a playoff berth with two games left to go was beyond anything I would have predicted.  We had zero head-scratching losses and mostly just took care of business like a team full of professionals.  This is great, and it's a wonderful change of pace compared to the drought years.

I'm totally mailing it in this week, leading up to Saturday. Gonna take off Friday and simply revel in the glory that is a playoff game. I've not been stressed since the pick in the Steelers game to win it. 

I feel so great after watching our beloved Fitzy carve up the *pats late. That's way better to me than anything else. Oh, and I went to see Ratt last night............holy hell, 1987 is still alive in this world!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Really?

Bravo!  Overall, it was an awesome regular season. Got to love the direction in which we are trending

Rah rah rah!!!!  Wow better call Murph & Tasker, you're their type of caller.....

I predicted 10-6, but expected a much better offense & yes the Defense was still good this year.  Little did we know in the AFC Pitt loses their starting QB for the season, NYJ are terrible out of the gate, Cleveland & LAC imploded, Andrew Luck retired & Tenn misses 4fgs vs. the Bills and Mariotta is buried following the win.

It was a good season as they won every game they should have, a surprising (not in retrospect) win vs. Dallas & that was about it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1