Bills' mishandling of the CB position

25 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I remain thoroughly puzzled. It's hard for me to believe that any objective observer could look at the situation right now and feel comfortable with the depth at the cornerback position.

If Taron is healthy, then they have 4 healthy corners going into the game. It's not an any more of a concern than any other team would have. In reality, had they kept a 6th corner on the roster, it would've been Lewis, who's been practicing with the team for 8 months.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cool. Assuming nothing of note on Neal, they have 2 boundary guys and 2 slot guys healthy. Probably move Levi to IR and promote Cam.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

EJ Gaines is a free agent. I wonder if they look at him? He's good for at least 30 snaps before he gets hurt. Can we sign him though? I know he was released on injury settlement. Not sure how that works.

Just to follow up looks like you can re-sign a player released on injury settlement after 6 weeks so Gaines should be free to return to the Bills if they wanted him back.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

The only issue I have, really, is the reliance on Levi Wallace's frail frame to hold up for an entire season.  Simply put: he does not have an NFL player's body.  It was just a matter of time.  They hopefully realize they need to upgrade the #2 CB position and will do so in the offseason.  

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The only issue I have, really, is the reliance on Levi Wallace's frail frame to hold up for an entire season.  Simply put: he does not have an NFL player's body.  It was just a matter of time.  They hopefully realize they need to upgrade the #2 CB position and will do so in the offseason.  

I think they feel pretty good about Wallace to be honest but James Bradberry could be a Bill this offseason. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

36 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

He's been fine this year, playing in all 16 games. 

A lot of guys don't want to take the cart. He got onto it on the sidelines, though.

I get that.  It’s a sign of weakness.  But it’s also not their call if it’s a serious injury.  And watching it live, it looked bad. 

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Sal Capaccio just said he's concerned about our depth at corner and that we are thin at the position.

But I'm a wacko, I know.

Relax. Nobody said you're a wacko. I said (1) that they didn't keep 4 corners; they kept 5, and (2) that an injury to a starting corner is no greater concern to the Bills than it would be to any other team. Perhaps it's even less considering that the replacement starter has been taking 40% of the reps for the last 7 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I remain thoroughly puzzled. It's hard for me to believe that any objective observer could look at the situation right now and feel comfortable with the depth at the cornerback position.

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Relax. Nobody said you're a wacko. I said (1) that they didn't keep 4 corners; they kept 5, and (2) that an injury to a starting corner is no greater concern to the Bills than it would be to any other team. Perhaps it's even less considering that the replacement starter has been taking 40% of the reps for the last 7 weeks.

I’d love to look at any CB group in the league and what unit wouldn’t look thin with two possible injuries to key contributors. To any position in general either.

Imagine Josh Allen hurting his elbow and then Matt Barkley hurting his thumb. Would we hear how we mismanaged the QB position too?

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think they feel pretty good about Wallace to be honest but James Bradberry could be a Bill this offseason. 

I mean again, the guy injured himself intercepting a pass, with no contact with anything other than the ball.  I've never seen anything like it.  He's made of glass.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I love Beane and McDermott and the job they've done overall. I support them going forward. But I still feel the need to draw attention to a critical mistake they've made. McDermott seemed borderline embarrassed about it in his press conference last night, so hopefully it won't happen again, but the fact that it was a mistake of this magnitude does cause some concern.

As I recall, the Bills were the only team in the NFL to carry only four CBs on their opening-day roster. I think everyone assumed this was just a temporary thing and they'd bring a veteran back after week 1, but it never happened. This meant the Bills were very thin at this position throughout the season and were very lucky to avoid significant injuries, until yesterday when they had to play two starters (Wallace and T. Johnson) deep into a meaningless game due to "a lack of bodies" as McDermott phrased it after the game.

With Wallace in a walking boot, it probably means we are walking into the playoffs -- against a potent passing attack which we can only hope does not include Will Fuller -- with two boundary corners, a banged-up slot corner, and only safeties to back them up. The Texans will be looking at this as the Bills' weakness to attack. Stills could have a big game.

McDermott said after the game that you hate to be in the position to have to play those guys like they did yesterday. Newsflash, McDermott/Beane: you didn't have to. You should have had a backup plan so you didn't have to risk the thinnest position on your roster going into the playoffs. Now you have put the team in a very difficult situation, and it was entirely avoidable. Start the season with another CB, or bring someone in just to play week 17. Either way, this never should have happened.

dude, Marcus Peters, the ravens #1 CB played most of the game yesterday. 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Siran Neal is a corner in Buffalo's defense, hence why they carry 5 other safeties.

They can't field a 75-man roster in week 17. Some guys are going to have to play.

In fact, if you could pick a position for the Bills to lose a starter, Wallace has to be the first choice by a mile. Kevin Johnson has been solid and has been getting 40% of the boundary corner snaps since week 10.

The NFL should really make week 17 a week in which every player on the roster is active. There's no reason not to, and these week 17 games involving teams locked into playoff slots have been a problem for a long time. 

54 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

His injury had nothing to do with his small frame. It was a freak leg injury on a non-contact play.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

No, it's not about the freak accident. He shouldn't have been playing in the first place; the rest of the starters were gone by then.

If someone gets hurt on Saturday, are you comfortable with Siran Neal or Isaiah McKenzie covering Kenny Stills?

Maybe the Bills felt like a loss or losses at other positions, like OL or WR for example, would have a bigger impact or drop off than at CB, so they chose to keep extra guys at those positions. 

Defense starts up front. Secondary has been a strength for the Bills for a few years now, but their overall success relies on the front 7's ability to create pressure and stop the run. Losing arguably your 4th best secondary player is probably less impactful, for this team and defensive scheme. McDermott does has a bit of a track record of getting production out of DBs that weren't drafted early. Next man up.

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Funny how a few weeks ago some people were calling for Levi Wallace's head. Now, its "oh my God, he's hurt!"

Giuseppe says the position was mishandled. In fact as Bandit and Gunner have said, you can't have 75 guys on the roster. Somebody had to be exposed Sunday.

Managing an NFL roster is clearly not as easy as we all make it seem. Especially with the bipolar fanbase.

I thought the same thing during the game. I wont be surprised if McBeane takes one in the first 3 rounds of the draft.