The Pats Will be One and Done

H2o

45 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Eight days ago, the Pats dominated the Bills on both sides of the ball.  They are more than capable of going on a run.

While Im conditioned to not touch the hot stove, I'm actually not so sure this time.  Objectively, I would rate them as the 3rd or 4th weakest playoff team ahead of the Eagles, Bills, and maybe the Vikings and Texans, and they likely wont play any of those.

They havent gotten to a Super Bowl in this Brady/Belichick era without a 1st round bye.  Their whole formula is based on the bye week for rest and planning (sometimes even being able to lay off the gas in week 17), then hosting a game (where they have some unexplainable home record) against a team they should beat.  Followed by hosting another team, or going on the road with a puncher's chance with coaching, Brady, cheating, luck, etc.  Then the Super Bowl with 2 weeks planning/coaching, Ernie Adams, etc.

Their two most important offensive players, Brady and Edelman are old, beat up, and desperately needed a week or even 2 off.  There is no Gronkowski who seemed to be the one to really bail them out of trouble when they needed it the most (like yesterday).

Tennessee presents their worst match-up in the AFC outside the Ravens.  Even if the Patriots win, it will be a street fight and they will be limping even more to face a rested KC or Baltimore away from Gillette Stadium.  If they win that, they will likely face the other one in the AFC Championship Game on the road.  

That is a lot of ifs to come out in their favor, and that is before facing New Orleans, San Fran, Green Bay, or Seattle in the Super Bowl.

It is impossible to overstate how bad this loss was for the Patriots' Superbowl hopes.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Eight days ago, the Pats dominated the Bills on both sides of the ball.  They are more than capable of going on a run.

Yeah they really dominated them.  The Bills had the lead in the 4th quarter and had a chance to tie it at the end.  Go to the Pats board, we don't need your negative crap around here this week.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Bills and Pats are the same team. Neither one is winning a shootout. If the defense fails to hold in the teens they probably lose.

I think this is fair. The difference of course is the Bills are a young improving team and the Patriots an old declining one. But in terms of the 2019 Bills vs the 2019 Patriots..... yep. You are right, they are basically the same team. Excellent defenses and sub standard offenses.

A lot going against the Pats, but on the AFC side they are the only team with a metric crap ton of postseason experience.  And they have Belli and Brady.  I think they are vulnerable, especially this Saturday in what really was, to them, a surprise game sprung on them. But as much as I would like to, I cannot and will not write the Pats off.  The Pats are not done until the very moment the game is over and the Pats are on the wrong side of the final score.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is fair. The difference of course is the Bills are a young improving team and the Patriots an old declining one. But in terms of the 2019 Bills vs the 2019 Patriots..... yep. You are right, they are basically the same team. Excellent defenses and sub standard offenses.

I think most reasonable Pats fan understands its time for a rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yeah they really dominated them.  The Bills had the lead in the 4th quarter and had a chance to tie it at the end.  Go to the Pats board, we don't need your negative crap around here this week.  

I watched the game.   The Patriots ran at will and Brady had all day to throw.  We were extremely fortunate to be in a position to tie at the end, which of course we failed to do.  

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I watched the game.   The Patriots ran at will and Brady had all day to throw.  We were extremely fortunate to be in a position to tie at the end, which of course we failed to do.  

I watched too. We sure weren't dominated. It was a one score game. People on this board are so delusional at times. lol

• Like (+1) 2

Too bad it's a home game for the Pats, meaning they'll have all the cheats they've undoubtedly installed over the years in the visitor's locker room and elsewhere. They would lose in Tennessee playing, you know,  just football. 

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

A lot going against the Pats, but on the AFC side they are the only team with a metric crap ton of postseason experience.  And they have Belli and Brady.  I think they are vulnerable, especially this Saturday in what really was, to them, a surprise game sprung on them. But as much as I would like to, I cannot and will not write the Pats off.  The Pats are not done until the very moment the game is over and the Pats are on the wrong side of the final score.

I too am hesitant to write off the Pats* - I have bought into the "Pats* are done now" narrative before & been disappointed. Once again, however, the elements seem to be in place for an end to the Pats* dynasty. Lets hope it is for real this time. Now that would be an enjoyable start to the New Year! 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

The Patriots, and their wonderful fanbase :rolleyes:, will feel life's keen sting this coming weekend. They are not in their typical stride heading into the playoffs. Truthfully, they are still looking for answers with their consistency on offense. They also only hold a .500 record in the playoffs with 0 SB appearances when being forced to play WC weekend. Father time is catching up with Brady, despite what we saw against our own Bills a little over a week ago. It was even more evident yesterday against the Dolphins. Mike Vrabel is a BB disciple of sorts and knows their schemes well. For all of the talk about Gilmore being DPOY, he was eaten alive yesterday by Devante Parker. The Pats have also shown they are beatable at home. The Titans offensive scheme is tailor made to face that defense. Derrick Henry is going to give them fits and Tannehill is a better version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. AJ Brown, even though he is only a rookie, is about as polished a WR you will find at this early stage in the league. He's big, strong, a very good route runner, and has some speed as well. I believe it will be another long day for Gilmore. Look for Vrabel to pound the rock with Henry and Tannehill to eat them alive off of play-action. I also expect Dion Lewis to be more involved in the passing game, being utilized in the same manner as White is for the Pats more so this WC weekend keeping the defense off balance. Vrabel will also have his defense ready to go, dialing up pressure at the right times to keep Brady uncomfortable all game long. This is the year that it all starts to come crashing down. Titans 31 Pats 21, and this will be with the Pats getting a garbage TD towards the end of the game. 

While I enjoy the thought of this, I realize this might wishful thinking.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if NE blows out the Titans.  I think Belichick will make Tannehill look awful.

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

While I enjoy the thought of this, I realize this might wishful thinking.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if NE blows out the Titans.  I think Belichick will make Tannehill look awful.

They just got handled by Miami in a game they wanted. NE normally starts rolling in the 2nd half of seasons but this is different. They are not playing good football.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe, maybe not.

But the bigger point here is that they have to face a very physical team in just 5 days, and that's going to take a major toll on them even if they do manage to win.

Aside from always hoping that NE****** loses, I think Baltimore and Tennessee would be a delightfully bloody slugfest in round 2.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They just got handled by Miami in a game they wanted. NE normally starts rolling in the 2nd half of seasons but this is different. They are not playing good football.

I agree, just I don't see Tannehill beating Belichick in a playoff game.  I hope i'm wrong

One and done, eh?.......everybody keeps underestimating the Pats each year and they seem to make it into the SB every year, so you know what i do?.........i sit back, i enjoy the playoffs and root for my Bills to if at least not get to the SB, to at least go deep and make a couple of statements along the way.

I don't worry about the Pats........couldn't give two shiny nickels of **** for the whole lot of them.

Why the boards are even discussing the Pats after the Bills made their own way into the playoffs this year, is beyond me.

I remember the 1996 Buffalo Bills hosting the Jacksonville Jaguars wild card weekend. We hadn't lost a playoff game at Rich Stadium. That day ended with Kelly being carted off, concussed, and was the final nail in the coffin for that Super Bowl era team--save the 2 years of Flutie magic, which I don't consider the same run, but let's split hairs another time.

I could absolutely see that scenario playing out this weekend, and we may be 3 hours of football away from never seeing number 12 in our division again.

But.

9 days ago, I was pretty well certain that Buffalo would go into Foxborough and handle them, too. I thought their run was over, they had nothing left, and we were going to piss on their fire hydrant and emphatically mark the start of our reign, and the conclusion of theirs. They soundly handled us in all three components of the game, and showed that they are still a class above us. What has changed, from that game, to now? They lost in the last minute of the fourth to Miami. For whatever reason, Miami has been their kryptonite for 20 years. If they had stopped Miami from scoring that TD, we'd be talking about the inevitability of New England's Super Bowl appearance. I'm not going to let that drive convince me their reign is over.

What is the road map for them playing in the championship, really?

Beat Tannehill, in the playoffs, at home?

Beat Andy Reid, who has only made it to one Super Bowl and seems to freeze up in the playoffs?

And then beat either Lamar Jackson (see last years playoff performance) on the road, or us or Houston at home?

Look, don't get me wrong--I don't THINK that they'll do it.

But for 20 years I've sat down and watched these guys, with their backs to the wall, come out, eat 7 minutes of clock, go up 7-0 on an opponent, force a 3 and out, and then just eat their soul on live TV. In my mind's eye, I see Tannehil on the sideline, looking at an iPad, confused, down 35-14 in the fourth, while the announcers go on and on about how everyone thought the Patriots were dead, but now it's on to KC.