Pick 3 FA's you'd like to see targeted.

GreggTX

1) Continuity is big on an OL, and Ford has played well enough to keep the option open of playing him at RT moving forward.  If the coaches feel that way, they can resign Spain and bring back the entire OL.   If not, I’d kick Ford inside and go after Conklin. 

2) Pass Rusher, Clowney or Ngaokue

3) If we keep Ford at RT and dont throw money at Conklin, let’s get a playmaker that shakes free.. A potential Kareem Hunt, Amari Cooper type FA. 

Knox/Kroft/Sweeney/Smith are our tight ends.  We don’t need Hooper.  

With the draft being loaded at WR, there are so many different directions we can go this offseason.  

I'll say that picking the top 3 FAs also depends on how the Bills treat their own. So, presuming the Bills sign Lawson, J. Phillips and Spain in order to keep these players who will be in their prime on this team for consistency and production, I'd say:

1. Ngakoue (his Tweets indicate he wants to hit FA)

2. Scherff (I like Spain / Feliciano but Allen needs to be protected and Bills have Cap)

3. Byron Jones

My reasoning for Jones is because while the Bills have young, promising CBs, having a lock down opposite Tre, allows T. Johnson and Wallace to be added slot guys and T. Johnson can help in run support. Additionally, the Defense will only be younger with Zo moving on and they can use some Veteran presence in the CB room. 

Also, the Bills seem to have a real penchant for Drafting young LBers and we don't know what they have in V. Joseph yet due to injury but I think he's the rangy type of OLB the covet. As others said, this Draft is deep in WR but I still think the Bills need to add another Vet boundary WR not named Cooper. I like Cooper in terms of talent, but he disappears from games and will want to be paid like the #1 WR in the league, and I don't think his effort warrants that type of contract. 

I love me some Derrick Henry, but given he just won the rushing title and he is the engine of that Offense, it's hard for me to believe the Titans let him walk. If in fact they do, then I'm all in on Henry b/c I think he's the balance to Motor - strong, big, bull type runner who does have the speed to take it outside and to the house. I think they need to work on Motor's receiving skills and they can be a very complementary 1-2 punch. Otherwise, I can see the Bills using a 4th Round pick on a bruising type of RB. 

The Bills have lots of Cap, but I think half of it goes to their own players, ala Lawson, J. Phillips, and Spain along with maybe an extension for Tre when they've got cash to spend. Because Dawkins, Milano are right around the corner and then Allen. Those are key positions that will take lots of space to do properly. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Whitey13 said:

We barely use DiMarco, why would we need a different FB?

We barely use DiMarco because he doesn't add a whole lot to this offense.

If you can acquire a FB that adds versatility and can run/catch, then yeah, I say you go for him.

I like our core and would take a conservative approach. Limit our "splash" signings and build quality depth to what we already have through FA.

WR-Robby Anderson. I like his game. He's 6'3"  with good speed and has played well, considering the Jets are a mess. He would be a great compliment to Brown and Cole. Don't think he would be very expensive. I would also draft a WR.

RB- Melvin Gordon wants too much $ and I don't see Arizona letting Kenyon Drake leave. I wait for someone to be let go from other teams. Maybe Arizona let's Davis Johnson go or trade him. If so, I go after him. I would even entertain Adrian Peterson, if the Skins let him go. I would also draft a RB. Singletary along with Johnson or Peterson would work out nicely.

OLB- I like Jamie Collins from NE. He may be considered a "splash" signing. 7 sacks, 3 ints and 3 forced fumbles and a defensive TD. He would solidify our LB corp. Also draft a LB for depth. If we can't get Collins, I would go after Van Noy at DE.

11 minutes ago, Whitey13 said:

Except that DiMarco was one of the best FBs during free agency when we originally signed him behind kyle juszczyk. 

He also played for the Falcons under Kyle Shannahan who loves to use his FBs so just because you don't think he adds a lot it could also be very much a case of him being under used. 

Yes, and Juszcyzk was the team's first choice but he signed a large contract with SF. 

You can just tell Juszczyk is the more dynamic player and offers more explosiveness. And the stats across DiMarco's 8 year career and Juszczyk's 7 years indicate that. theory. DiMarco has never had more than 13 receptions in a season, whereas Juszczyk has never had less than 19 (and has averaged 35+ over the last few years).

As you noted, DiMarco played under Shanahan while in Atlanta. Instead of signing his FB, Shanahan instead signed Juszczyk, who has been doing really well in SF's offense. 

Edited by junior12thman92

I think given what this team will have to pay to keep its own 3 major free agents (Spain, Phillip's and Shaq) or at least keep 2 if you let Spain or Shaq walk along with the extensions needed for players currently under contract it would be wise to be a bit more prudent in free agency when it comes adding pieces.

However I do think considering the cap space is plentiful they can add a couple of pieces to supplement the roster and be fine long term. 

The major piece I would like to see added is a major edge rusher. A big time piece like Clowney or Ngakoue would set the pass rush up to an elite level. I think they could also get another starting caliber player on a mid level deal such as a CB2.

Right now keeping our own talented core is going to come at a cost but the NFL's window to win is short and this front office needs to not be afraid to add at least 2-3 starters via free agency. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

cooper is a head case, would be a cancer in the locker room and he doesn't like road games.   the other two will be resigned.   I'm not big into FAs    AJ Green seems like a solid citizen , 2 year deal , but all the 30 somethings are looking for the last big deal .. Beane's won't fall for it. 

While I agree that Cooper is not a good FA prospect, the Bills have way too many needs, especially at WR, to pass on top on signing a quality FA WR like Green if he's available.  They cannot afford to waste the remainder of Allen's rookie contract because they are too cheap to give him a big, sure-handed receiver to create mismatches with smaller DBs next season.  Allen needs bigger, better targets than he has other than Beasley and Brown if the Bills are going to make a sound decision on the kind of QB he truly is.   They don't have any big young WRs on the roster, and relying on the draft can be iffy, especially with WRs.  They have a promising TE in Knox, but they could use an upgrade to add another pass-catching veteran TE.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd probably look to target someone who may not be a FA.  Look at some cap casualties and try to trade for them.  

Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins (probably not, but i suppose stranger things have happened), Robert Woods (they need cap space to sign ramsay and... anyone else - he's one of the only guys who provides any cap relief), Goodwin (could probably be had for very little), Marvin Jones (They probably don't need the cap space that badly, but their defense is pretty bad and free agents are expensive.. wouldn't surprise me) -  might be had for a mid-late round pick.  Etc.

I know we're likely to go WR in the first this year - but if someone jumps us... it'd be smart to have planned a bit more for it.  We started the year with Zay, then Mckenzie/foster/roberts, maybe duke williams here and there.  It's a position in need of a major improvement and i don't want the draft to be the sole area where we look at doing it, since FA happens before the draft.  

• Like (+1) 2

This list is easy for me. Release Murphy & Hughes. Sign:

1. Ngakoue

2. Armstead 

3. Cooper

Draft Shenault in the 1st

No more McKenzie,  Foster or Roberts pretending to be wrs. Our 5 dressed wrs in order would be Cooper, Brown,  Beasley, Shenault & Duke.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ngakoue

AJ Green

Jack Conklin

Superbowl 2020. 

I’m not relying solely on the draft for WR.... can’t do it.

This team desperately needs two good WR’s. One good, established veteran in FA and then you get another good prospect in a deep WR draft. 

So I am far from convinced on AJ Green. Have said it all year. I am not sure there is much, if any, productive football left in him. I might be wrong but reading what I have about the injuries he has had there is no way I would commit big $$s to him. He has had the sort of structural injuries that affect every explosive action. The ankle ligaments injury is likely to have a lasting impact on his get off and his ability to cut. If he was happy to come here and take a smaller deal and be a situational player and a voice in the room I'd take a chance that there is enough left to make it worthwhile. But a team is likely going to pay for the old AJ Green and I just don't believe that guy is still in there. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

1. Ngakoue

2. Armstead 

3. Cooper

Thats a lot of dough dude...  

Cooper getting 20m a year seems a bit scary when you remember the drops and inconsistencies.

Ngakoue is going to get paid really really well.  

Armstead i guess it depends what he gets paid - he was a part of a beast D-line so... did the lightswitch go on and make him a double digit sack guy?  or is he closer to the 3 from the last 4 years?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

1. Ngakoue

2. Armstead 

3. Cooper

Draft Shenault in the 1st

No more McKenzie,  Foster or Roberts pretending to be wrs. Our 5 dressed wrs in order would be Cooper, Brown,  Beasley, Shenault & Duke.

Hughes costs more to cut than to keep unfortunately. I was seemingly the only person worried about this when they signed him to that deal in the spring. 

• Like (+1) 3