TE position is actually looking pretty promising

I had already said much earlier in the season that we should have just been rolling with Knox and Sweeney and that those were our TE's of the future.......

Knox is a burner who can block and give big plays

Sweeney is that blocking TE who can catch a ball

inactivating Kroft and the human flag machine would have allowed us to keep Duke and Yeldon active

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree OP.  It's hard to say where Knox and Sweeney will be in their development in 2 years and they clearly have a long way to go, but I'm liking them so far. A big WR is our biggest need along with OT. Move Ford inside. Move Dawkins to RT and draft or sign a franchise LT. Resign Spain too.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I had already said much earlier in the season that we should have just been rolling with Knox and Sweeney and that those were our TE's of the future.......

Knox is a burner who can block and give big plays

Sweeney is that blocking TE who can catch a ball

inactivating Kroft and the human flag machine would have allowed us to keep Duke and Yeldon active

Make smith and kraft inactive in place of Sweeney and duke 

Kroft, Knox, and Sweeney are a very solid TE group. All three can block AND catch. Lee Smith has to go. 

And not a chance in hell the Bills sign Hooper from Atlanta. Knox has a better ceiling than Hooper. Sweeney actually reminds me more of Hooper. Hooper struggled his first year in the league, he really started coming on the last two years. 

I like Knox and Sweeney; lots of promise with those two.

Kroft I wouldn't mind keeping if there isn't a bubble type player, such as Duke, that could play instead.  Not saying Duke is better than Kroft, just that Kroft's penchant for being injured diminishes his value.  Not sure I see the need to keep Lee Smith.

7 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I think next season we’ll likely see one or both of Kroft and Smith cut.

Even if they’re not, and all 4 are kept, Knox & Sweeney will be the starters. 

Kroft can’t stay healthy, and Smith is a walking penalty machine. 

It’s gotta be Kroft because Lee Smith can block

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The TE position is one of the hardest in the NFL to master. It requires catching, running with the ball, running with the blocking assignment, run and pass blocking, picking up protections and knowing the entire Offense, as in where everyone is supposed to be - not  just your route or your block. I've posted this a number of times in the past when someone wanted to Draft a TE in the 1st (or even 2nd Round) when people were mentioning Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Travis Kelce, Jason Witten, etc. Every one of those guys were taken in the 3rd Round or later. Gronk was a 2nd Round pick but other than Tony Gonzalez who was a 1st Rounder, few (if any), have lived up to the billing. 

TEs take time to develop, each of the above referenced TEs except for Gronk took at least 2 years to develop into their full potential. I think the Bills have their duo in Sweeney and Knox, with a solid guy in Kroft. Lee Smith is fine for now, but I'd prefer Sweeney in that position because I think he's a better catcher and athlete in terms of receiving but big enough to do the blocking work. 

Knox and Sweeney will seemingly "come out of nowhere" to people outside of Buffalo, but next year and 2021 will be years where we truly start to see their value. 

• Like (+1) 1