What Are You Doing For New Years Eve?

T&C

We don't go out on New Years Eve anymore except when my band is playing. We have played the last few but not this year unfortunately, lead guitarist is in NYC. So champagne at home by the fire listening to music it is.

I used to see the Grateful Dead many NYE's in the 80s when Jerry was alive, the last one was in '91 I think. Hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago. Think I'll crank up the Buffalo '77 show on stereo, my first show and still one of my favorites.

It's currently 8:30PM, December 31, 2019.

Got my Shady jersey on (Fitzmagic coming out later), cocktails on the balcony with old-school RnB on Spotify blasting to piss off the neighbours.

Go Bills! I'll be back in 2020!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

A quiet evening at home.  For no explicable reason a car with a drunk driver winds up in my front yard about every ten years.  I'm thinking I am due for another episode soon.

you live on the corner of or perpendicular to a street with a stop sign?

i’d guess 3 or 4 times idiots were drunk and/or icy conditions caused a bump into a house in my childhood hood

Edited by row_33

On 12/29/2019 at 9:22 PM, Augie said:

I hope you have a plan for the next phase. That is surprisingly important. These’s more to it than the guy above. 

No plans. We were planning to do a work/play trip to California beginning VERY early NYD, but a death in the family means my wife has to get there and back ASAP with no time for me or play. I’ll sit at home as is generally the case on New Years Eve. It can get sketchy out there! 

You are not the first person to tell me this. While I am quite driven and self motivated, I want to take some time and enjoy the fact that I will be a pensioner at 55. After caring for everyone else for the better part pf 30 years I will need some "me" time. My finances may necessitate taking on part time work but I am going to be very selective. I still have two kids at home and one will be staying with us at least another 4 years as a full time student. I am not one to stay home and do nothing but I don't want an enormous amount of structure either.

I welcome your advice

Edited by stuvian
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

My countdown to retire is 154 days...Mrs. Lew too.

New Years Eve will be spent playing board and card games with  grandson.

I will teach him 52 pickup

You have a few hours to YouTube some card tricks. Don’t be an a-hole, make him think you’re a wizard. Here’s a couple of easy ones:

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

You are not the first person to tell me this. While I am quite driven and self motivated, I want to take some time and enjoy the fact that I will be a pensioner at 55. After caring for everyone else for the better part pf 30 years I will need some "me" time. My finances may necessitate taking on part time work but I am going to be very selective. I still have two kids at home and one will be staying with us at least another 4 years as a full time student. I am not one to stay home and do nothing but I don't want an enormous amount of structure either.

I welcome your advice

I semi-retired at 55 and began a freelance writing career. I have a few clients who give me as much work as I need to supplement the pension and keep my brain sharp, while giving me plenty of time to pursue other interests.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I am in my late 30's and this is going to be the most senior citizen thing I do all year.  A local Irish bar does English/Irish New Years at 7pm EST.  So we will go party it up like its midnight to get home safely by 9pm.

That sounds like a great plan my friend!

On 12/30/2019 at 11:07 AM, LewPort71 said:

My countdown to retire is 154 days...Mrs. Lew too.

New Years Eve will be spent playing board and card games with  grandson.

I will teach him 52 pickup

Bless you Grandpa Lew!

I wish I could play Sorry! with my kids, my Sister and Nephew again!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

1. Quiet dinner alone (widower)-son & daughter in law have plans; my daughter runs a major wedding venue locally and has a New Years Eve wedding booked.

2. Watch the Senior Citizen Ball drop at 8PM; bed by 8:15

3. New Years Day-start prep "cheffing" for my kids and daughter in law st 5:30AM; Sliced Tenderloin with marsala mushroom sauce; broiled lobster tails with garlic butter; Shrimp Fra Diavolo;  sauteed green beans in olive oil and pancetta; Caesar salad with homemade dressing; AND A MAJOR LEAGUE NAP..............

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I semi-retired at 55 and began a freelance writing career. I have a few clients who give me as much work as I need to supplement the pension and keep my brain sharp, while giving me plenty of time to pursue other interests.

You're the person I need to talk to. Writing is my passion. I have taken the AWAI copywriting course, Steve Slaunwhites copywriting course and am three courses away from completing a Tech Writing Certificate. This is what I want to do work wise in the next stage of my life. I was hoping to make the jump from my day job but that didn't materialize as I hoped. I have been published in journals related to my field but am still seeking the path to do something along your lines.