Interesting stat on passing leaders

bigbuffs

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Picking an outlier year to divine some meaning is foolish

Your favorite team the Patriots won the Super Bowl last year by holding the Rams to 3 points, your boy Brady only threw for 250 yards. It's not an outlier Millennial.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Wrong, the top 4 defenses made the playoffs and 7 of top 10.

Also, only two teams in the bottom half of the league in defense made the playoffs.

No they didn't. The NFL officially ranks total offense and defense by yards. You might disagree with it, but that is the way it is done. 5 of the top 10 teams in total defense missed the playoffs (Steelers, Bears, Cowboys, Jets and Chargers). Though you are correct that the top four defenses (Patriots, 49ers, Bills and Ravens) all made it.

Your calculation is by points.... and that is fair enough. But comparing defenses by points to passing offenses by yards is not exactly apples to apples is it? Points per game 8 of the top 10 offenses made the playoffs.

It is true that fewer of the playoff teams than has been typical in recent years have highly productive passing games - only New England, New Orleans and Kansas City of the playoff teams were top 10 in passing yards (two of those started backup QBs for multiple weeks) - but then Houston, Seattle, San Fran and Philadelphia are all lurking just outside that top 10 and inside the top half of the league.

I just think a little bit much is being made of it. It is a bit of an outlier at this point. Let's see next season if it becomes a sustained pattern.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Your favorite team the Patriots won the Super Bowl last year by holding the Rams to 3 points, your boy Brady only threw for 250 yards. It's not an outlier Millennial.

Yep another pointing out one superbowl to defend their position.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

I didn't realize Joe was back playing in SF this year.

Wrong, the top 4 defenses made the playoffs and 7 of top 10.

Also, only two teams in the bottom half of the league in defense made the playoffs.

I'm using yards allowed....  Tenn, Houston & Seattle....  Can play with #'s however you like, but again to pretend Offense doesn't matter.....  

As I showed earlier an interesting stat was that our Defense too played much worse then average Offenses (League average 20.7 in the league) vs. the Offense played on average the 15.7 strongest defenses).  Again skewed by Jets & NE X 2, Balt & Pitt.  

Again too this isn't fair as every team has different schedules.  However the Bills faced maybe 4 strong offensive teams all season (Philly, Dallas & Baltimore?), while also playing some of the very worst (Pitt, NYJ, Cincy, Wash & Den), including rookies & 3rd string QB's (Pitt, Wash & Den) & the 4th easiest Schedule (NE, Dall & Philly had easier).

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Especially in a year when Mahomes and Brees missed games. 

True--and they are back on fire.

This same thread subject was posted a few weeks ago as well.

31 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It is not an outlier year.   There is no meaningful correlation between raw yards and winning, let alone causation. 

So being a top 5 passing leader never correlates with appearing in the playoffs?

14 hours ago, bigbuffs said:

The top 5 players in passing yards this season did not make the play-offs. Not sure what it means, but I thought it was very interesting. (I would argue that if Brees doesn't get injured, he would have been top 5 but he was injured.) 

There's more to the game than just passing for 400 yds ! We have seen this yr Mahomes pass for 300 + & 3 TD's & lose the game so if Josh can just do maybe 200+ a game & win then i'm all about it !

Sure its all good to watch & who doesn't like a 60 yd bomb for a TD during the game but the W at the end of the game is what counts ! 

In the end, point differential is what really matters. It doesn't really matter how you get there. There were 14 teams with a + point differential and 11 made the playoffs. There were 18 teams with a - point differential and only 1 made the playoffs (Houston with a -7 - and they had a + differential until resting their starters in the last game).

There were only 3 out of 12 playoff teams that were not in the top 15 in both offensive points scored and defensive points allowed: Seattle, Buffalo, and Houston. Although, Seattle and Buffalo were both in the top 15 in point differential.

Edited by billsfan1959

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

True--and they are back on fire.

This same thread subject was posted a few weeks ago as well.

So being a top 5 passing leader never correlates with appearing in the playoffs?

"ever" does not imply correlation.   Do this exercise, look at the top 5 passing YARDAGE leaders (by team) for the last five year. Then look at the top five PASSER RATING teams for the last five years.    Remove all the teams that are top 5 in both.  You will almost certainly see that the list of top five passer rating teams are almost always in the playoffs even if they are not top five yardage teams.  You will see that the top five yardage teams without being top five passer rating teams will appear at the random percentage around 12/32 (12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs every year).

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have no problem admitting it.....  Three years & no 300 yard passing games....  Well done McD...........  Only coach that has accomplished it.  

How many coaches are 2/3 in playoff appearances during that time?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

How many coaches are 2/3 in playoff appearances during that time?

Again last three years prior to McD 24-24, McD 25-23.....  Yep they made the playoffs at 9-7, while Marrone was 9-7 & missed it.....

Edited by Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol....millenial

so good to be an X

never to be blamed for anything, never too much pressure, just the right amount of work and life enjoyment to pick off the tree.. .  :D

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

"ever" does not imply correlation.   Do this exercise, look at the top 5 passing YARDAGE leaders (by team) for the last five year. Then look at the top five PASSER RATING teams for the last five years.    Remove all the teams that are top 5 in both.  You will almost certainly see that the list of top five passer rating teams are almost always in the playoffs even if they are not top five yardage teams.  You will see that the top five yardage teams without being top five passer rating teams will appear at the random percentage around 12/32 (12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs every year).

It's simpler (and on topic) to just look at the last 5 years of top passing yards teams.  In no year were there less than 2 that made the playoffs.  Overall, the incidence was 13/25.  5 of the other 12 missed playoffs were accounted for by 2 teams (NO and TB).

So this year is the outlier. It means nothing.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

so good to be an X

never to be blamed for anything, never too much pressure, just the right amount of work and life enjoyment to pick off the tree.. .  :D

I'm a late model Boomer.  I don't know what that knucklehead is talking about.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's simpler (and on topic) to just look at the last 5 years of top passing yards teams.  In no year were there less than 2 that made the playoffs.  Overall, the incidence was 13/25.  5 of the other 12 missed playoffs were accounted for by 2 teams (NO and TB).

So this year is the outlier. It means nothing.

I'm a late model Boomer.  I don't know what that knucklehead is talking about.

you can hop on board to an honorary spot in X-ville if  you have freedom of mind or are left-handed

• Thank you (+1) 1