Week 17 Flex Scheduling idea

Virgil

I’m watching 6 teams play for their playoff lives against teams that are either eliminated or don’t care.  While it’s not about when you play someone, rather the entire season’s body of work, I pose this question:

Should week 17 have optional flex scheduling?  For example, this week you’d have:

Dallas vs Philly

Tennessee vs Pittsburg 

Colts vs Raiders

Seattle vs San Fran (already happening)

I’m sure there’s all kinds of logical reasons why this can’t happen, but it would make more sense from a competitive sense

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m watching 6 teams play for their playoff lives against teams that are either eliminated or don’t care.  While it’s not about when you play someone, rather the entire season’s body of work, I pose this question:

Should week 17 have optional flex scheduling?  For example, this week you’d have:

Dallas vs Philly

Tennessee vs Pittsburg 

Colts vs Raiders

I’m sure there’s all kinds of logical reasons why this can’t happen, but it would make more sense from a competitive sense

That’s an extremely big ask. A lot of coordinating and some seriously angry fans. 
I think Philly fans would rather watch them beat up the giants for an easy division title vs giving the cowboys an actual shot at winning the division. It would be a last ditch kinda effort to save ratings if things ever got REALLY BAD

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Dallas vs Philly

Tennessee vs Pittsburg 

Colts vs Raiders

a variable schedule overruling for week 17?

need some more planning there 

I read an article once about how the scheduling process works--it's pretty intense.

Guys locked in a room for secrecy running thousands of permutations through computers to make sure things are balanced. Tons of considerations like: stadiums being used for concerts, weather factors (hurricane season, heat in the south, etc. etc.). 

I think a more fruitful thread discussion might be: should the last week of the season be reserved for divisional matchups. Personally, I'm kinda ehhhh on the subject. I think it might be cooler if the last week was inter-conference games only, as you would know that (a) you wouldn't see the same matchup next weekend in the wildcard round, and (b) rooting interest would be pretty straight forward for fans.

• Like (+1) 1

You would have to make all division games played before week 17, otherwise it would eliminate division record from the tie breaker cause the last week is now only divisional games. You would then also have to leave all the games unscheduled for week 17 and have some way of determining the reason for each team playing each other. It also wouldn't work without making week 16 this way because you could end up with teams playing an additional home or road game instead of equal home and away.

It would be a nightmare to do and throw off any balance in the scheduling. Might be better then forcing the Bills to have to play the Jets for no reason other then stats.....