[Edited title] Duke williams should play

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Not activating DW was and is a point of failure by Sean, and or Brian, the guy delivers the goods every time they use him. Saying this does not mean I don’t think SM is a good Head coach, because he is a very good HC, it is just this specific point of failure.  It is what it is fellas, 

Go Bills!!!

Completely agree. Sean is a good HC and perfect leader for this team. But you can't deny that he occassionally makes some real head scratchers. Taking forever to release Peterman and Zay. Now this year he apparently is forgoing a productive wr for the good of special teams play. I'm sorry but I don't put as much value in "todays" ST, then I do improving your offense. Does Sean really let Farwell dictate which offensive players will be available to Daboll. Or is this Daboll/McD stubbornly ignoring Dukes contributions? I thought Offense takes pressidence over ST?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Croom is on PTO. 

Pegula Time Off. 

Honestly expect him to move into a administrative/football operations position at some point. 

El presidente at some point perhaps?

48 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

JMO but at this point Foster over DW makes little sense. I get that STs are important but my take is that Williams would add more to this offence in particular (lacking a physical WR with good hands) than Foster adds to STs. Plus Williams plays with passion and football is that kind of game. As a presence on the football field Foster completely fades into impalpability by comparison. To me that right there is reason enuf to sit him if not release him outright. Coach is outsmarting himself here IMO. Can't get away from the notion that personalities might have something to do with it. If that is true it's more on Coach than the player. Williams would seem to have bought in and has kept his nose clean. I'm all for culture - except when it turns into dogma. 

Having said that Foster will probably rack up 100+yards and 2 TDs in Houston - but I'm not holding my breath. 

His extravagant" hotdoggery" (@pp) is just not acceptable. regardless...

foster is just a guy who whom runs rather quickly at this point in time

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I got annoyed with the Duke talk because clearly there was something he wasn’t showing the coaches.  But I’d rather take my chances with a big receiver who plays hard like him then Foster and other guys.  

Free Duke!

I agree. Would be nice to know what is holding him back. He played ST, made some good catches and blocks well on running plays.  Don't want to free him, but would like him to play.?

I saw some posts earlier about his celebration and costing a TO, but that is not accurate.  Plus, I like a little attitude. Every catch he makes could be money in his pocket on a future contract. 

2 hours ago, GG said:

His blocking vs Jets was superb.  He made 2 key blocks to spring Yeldon for first downs.  He also didn't shy away from contact and stood up a DL a few times. 

He also was on the kick coverage and some punts.  They didn't use him as a gunner but as inline blocker.  He didn't embarrass himself.  Foster was passable as the gunner (Bills ST would be in much bigger trouble if Perry or Neal went down.) 

There definitely is something going on during the week where the coaches aren't fully comfortable in activating Duke for most of the games, because on Sundays, he delivers.

Speaking of Yeldon, 

Anyone think this guy could be a late bloomer?

I liked the way he was running vs a stingy Jets D.

Both him and the big Duke looked the part IMO...

56 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

El presidente at some point perhaps?

His extravagant" hotdoggery" (@pp) is just not acceptable. regardless...

foster is just a guy who whom runs rather quickly at this point in time

Speaking for myself, I'm with Bear Bryant. Act like you've been there before (and mean to be there again). But as long as he can make a play (which apparently Foster cannot) I would put up with some hotdogging. I don't consider that conduct detrimental, but maybe McD does. 

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I never understood the value of ypp.  Bojo is 3rd in the league with 34 punts inside the 20.  He's been inconsistent, but comparing him to Colquitt (who many TBDers wanted the Bills to get), he's had a much better season.  Bojo has punted nearly twice as many times and they have nearly identical "opponents' return yards," for the season.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2019&type=reg&mode=U&conf=&limit=all&sort=puntin20

Yea ypp doesn't work as a stat since you might be punting past the 50. So I think punt's inside the 25 even since that is the line of touchbacks. Anything before that is good.

7 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Still have Croom don't we? Croom, Knox, Sweeney, Kroft and hmm... Smith? We my be OK with TE.

Um.....by what standard?  Large dudes who appear on the roster with TE next to their name?

I'm kind of wanting a Kittle/Kelce/Andrews/Hurst type - a large dude who catches everything thrown within reach of his hand, almost everything he can dive or jump for, runs angry, and is hard to bring down.

• Like (+1) 1

No, not just because they have TE next to their name. I think everyone would like a Kelce or Kittle. But we really do not know what we have in our rookies.

My comment was more of, I don't think it's a priority like WR, DE or OL. Sweeney and Knox looked good for rookies. Knox runs angry (still needs work on his hands) I think Sweeney played well last weekend (5 catches on 5 targets I believe), not sold on Kroft, but I assume with his contract he's not going anywhere. Smith, well, I'll just leave it at Smith (useless in my opinion) but they like him for blocking. And Croom, probably not going anywhere, although he should not stay just because of his relationship. I definitely would agree with an upgrade over Croom. 

Now, Back to this Thread title.

Duke needs to play. In my opinion, he's earned at least another game and has shown much more than Foster.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Speaking for myself, I'm with Bear Bryant. Act like you've been there before (and mean to be there again). But as long as he can make a play (which apparently Foster cannot) I would put up with some hotdogging. I don't consider that conduct detrimental, but maybe McD does. 

He overdid it. But maybe he deserves a moment in the Sun after all .

McD likely mentioned that malarkey to him : )

and I agree with you.

20 hours ago, Figster said:

Speaking of Yeldon, 

Anyone think this guy could be a late bloomer?

I liked the way he was running vs a stingy Jets D.

Both him and the big Duke looked the part IMO...

recall all his fumbles? That's likely why he has spent time pondering his fate. And honestly , who do you sit : )
Good to see him get his game on though.

F. Gore is likely done bless his heart. Should be some good competition next year to replace him

• Thank you (+1) 1

No, not just because they have TE next to their name. I think everyone would like a Kelce or Kittle. But we really do not know what we have in our rookies.

We don't, and that's why I believe we should take a serious look around.  Knox may improve, or he may not.

My comment was more of, I don't think it's a priority like WR, DE or OL.

I believe that a really reliable pass catching TE is a priority for our offense and especially valuable to a QB like Allen who may never be more than "zip code accurate".  Our game needs someone who can be used as SF and the Ravens use their TE.  It's no accident that they're two of the most potent offenses in football, despite  a QB who has thrown 200 yds or less in 6 games this season (both guys)

not sold on Kroft, but I assume with his contract he's not going anywhere.

Why would you say that?  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyler-kroft-16809/

Now I grant that he seems to be a really good guy by all accounts, and we have enough cap space that it wouldn't kill us to keep him around and see if he can really heal up and recover this off season and come in and start showing us stuff.

Smith, well, I'll just leave it at Smith (useless in my opinion) but they like him for blocking. And Croom, probably not going anywhere, although he should not stay just because of his relationship. I definitely would agree with an upgrade over Croom. 

We have absolutely no room for anyone on this roster who has not earned a spot

Where the topic is relevant is that we are trying to use Knox as our possession receiver, which is one reason why Daboll is probably not pushing harder to activate Duke.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We don't, and that's why I believe we should take a serious look around.  Knox may improve, or he may not.

I believe that a really reliable pass catching TE is a priority for our offense and especially valuable to a QB like Allen who may never be more than "zip code accurate".  Our game needs someone who can be used as SF and the Ravens use their TE.  It's no accident that they're two of the most potent offenses in football, despite  a QB who has thrown 200 yds or less in 6 games this season (both guys)

Why would you say that?  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyler-kroft-16809/

Now I grant that he seems to be a really good guy by all accounts, and we have enough cap space that it wouldn't kill us to keep him around and see if he can really heal up and recover this off season and come in and start showing us stuff.

We have absolutely no room for anyone on this roster who has not earned a spot

Where the topic is relevant is that we are trying to use Knox as our possession receiver, which is one reason why Daboll is probably not pushing harder to activate Duke.

•  
  •  

Key word is he “May”, my OPINION is he will improve based upon what I have seen so far in his rookie season. Add some experience, coaching and a full off season. Again, it’s my opinion. You’re welcome to yours. I just don’t think it should be on the teams list of priorities.

I don’t disagree with having a reliable pass catching tight end (or two) on the roster. My opinion is, we might already have them in Sweeney and Knox. And even possibly Kroft. Different OC’s, so I think play calling may also come into play as to how they are used.

6 catches on 14 targets in 11 games played this year. With an AAV of 6.2m. That’s 1m per catch. I would say that is really good. Could he earn it over the next 2 years? Maybe, depends on Sweeney and Knox I guess.

Totally agree with this. Lose Croom or Smith and you can get whatever TE you feel is best. May want to look at a few other players on the roster as well.

The topic is Duke should play. He should and just like you said, we have absolutely no room for anyone on the roster that has not earned a spot. I think Duke has earned it based upon his on field play results.

Honestly, I don’t think we are too much different in our thoughts when it comes to the offense. I read more than I post on here and I do truly value your opinions and insight. You have a lot of knowledge and it’s nice to have this place to discuss the Bills. Being in South Florida, as you can imagine, NOT many Bills fans down here.

I’ll reserve my Daboll comments for another thread or day.