Bills at Texans Playoff Game, Saturday 4:35 pm

wppete

7 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.chron.com/sports/texans/amp/Texans-Bill-O-Brien-JJ-Watt-playing-Will-Fuller-14945050.php

Fuller a game time decision. I don’t think we will be seeing him at his normal play even if he is a go.

James Palmer now saying he is a long shot to play.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Pretty good radio show with Houston guy interviewing Sal Capaccio.  He asked good questions and Sal had thoughtful answers

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/what-s-on-matt-s-mind/content/2020-01-02-sal-capaccio-shares-his-insight-covering-the-buffalo-bills/?Keyid=socialflow&Pname=local_social&Sc=editorial

30 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I can't find anything on the Bills active roster for Saturday's game.  Is there any word about Duke being active for the game?

And you won't, until just before ye deadline to turn in the roster (I think it's 1 hr before the game)

No reason for McDermott to tip his hand

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Yea, you are probably right.  I would love to see him on the field Saturday.

I think probably Daboll and McDermott agree with you, the question they're weighing is who they could leave off. 

Playing Foster is apparently something Heath Farwell is willing to "go to the mat" for.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think probably Daboll and McDermott agree with you, the question they're weighing is who they could leave off. 

Playing Foster is apparently something Heath Farwell is willing to "go to the mat" for.

Wonder if Duke has ever tried to be a gunner.  If thats really whats keeping him off the game day roster seems to me it would be worth his whike to dedicate some of his time to mastering running down the field on ST.  Would think he would acrually be able to do some damage in that role anyway

Just now, stevewin said:

Wonder if Duke has ever tried to be a gunner.  If thats really whats keeping him off the game day roster seems to me it would be worth his whike to dedicate some of his time to mastering running down the field on ST.  Would think he would acrually be able to do some damage in that role anyway

Well...the first criterion needed by the gunner is speed.

I'm sure Duke plans to spend part of the off season training for speed.   He'll be able to improve, but he'll never be Foster.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

ST is extremely important in the playoffs. If they could find a way to activate Duke while still keeping Foster (And Roberts)  active that’s the only way I would go. 

1 minute ago, wppete said:

this is huge news if true. But Bill O’Brien is a snake ? just like Bellichevk. Let’s see game time. 

Either way - active or inactive - he’s not healthy

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure Duke plans to spend part of the off season training for speed.   He'll be able to improve, but he'll never be Foster.

Yep. Gunner without speed can’t be a gunner.

29 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Did you hear that somewhere, or just surmising that’s Farwell is fighting for Foster? Curious. 

It's me reading between the lines of Daboll's answer to how the gameday actives are determined in his press conference, added to the knowledge that Foster is in fact the Gunner.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brian-daboll-excited-to-play-this-time-of-year

Question about 4:43 about how the game day roster is determined.  Daboll explains that "each week the coaching staff sits down, led by Coach McDermott. ... Each role is important for the team, whether it's a Gunner, a Punt returner, an R4 on the kickoff, whatever that is, you have to try to put the best guys out there and that's collectively as a team, not just one unit."

I don't think it's an accident that the three positions Daboll mentioned as "important roles for the team" were all special teams roles and that the first two are filled by WR who are arguably not contributing as much as perhaps Duke Williams could on offense (if you're not familiar with kickoff coverage, this is a decent explanation; I believe R4 for us is usually 'Zo)

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Either way - active or inactive - he’s not healthy

Yes this.  Same with Watt.  Just being in the lineup may give their team some initial mental boost - but being able to play at a sustained high level throughout the course of the game when you've had a prolonged serious injury is another matter

36 minutes ago, wppete said:

this is huge news if true. But Bill O’Brien is a snake ? just like Bellichevk. Let’s see game time. 

it was originally diagnosed as minimum 3 weeks out...I don't see him playing. Just like I don't think Wallace plays

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

To me it's obvious that Allen is not where they would like him to be YET.  I wouldn't expect Allen to be there yet in only his 2nd year and given the circumstances of his development as a QB.

At the risk of reading to much into things, I actually see this as the Bill's coaches knowing that Allen is close to making a major jump in performance.  They see him in practice every day and they look at the film.  They know that he's on the verge of a breakout and they're anxious for him to get there. 

I bet that if you could go back and be a fly on the wall during Brett Farve's 2nd & 3rd year in Green bay his coaches would sound a lot like Daboll & McD.  They could see they had a budding superstar in the making and were impatient for him to take the leap.

Favre slung it early. Certainly helped having a HOF level talent WR1; pro bowlers at WR2, WR3 and TE, and a RB with several 60 reception seasons though. Not to mention a coaching staff that had Mike Holmgren, Sherman Lewis, Steve Mariucci, Jon Gruden, Gil Haskell, and Andy Reid. Putting players and coaching talent like that around Allen and he’ll look a lot better quickly. Particularly if there weren’t any rules about not contacting players in the offseason. I like this coaching staff.... That early 90’s GB staff was one of the greatest offensive staffs ever assembled though. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get it, but I still think the whole value of a single gunner is overblown tbh.

How many tackles during the course of a game does Foster or Perry really make.  If you kick kickoffs out of the EZ (should be possible in Houston), that leaves only having to cover punts.  Say that's an average of 5 punts - and likely some number of those are fair caught.  For the sake of argument - say there are 4 punt returns.  If everyone stays in their lanes and the ST as a unit is well coached its likely someone, even if not a single gunner, can make a tackle within a reasonable area.  Does putting someone on the game day roster for 4 plays because they are a gunner involved in a handful of plays - with the likelihood that the the ST unit should be able to not allow a big run back if everyone does their job - ie. not dependent on just one gunner - really outweigh having someone available to make an impact on a much higher number of offensive plays.   Factor in that if the player you are substituting for the gunner will be involved in many more plays on offense with potential for positive impact, which theoretically could result in less punts, lowering even more the requirement on the gunner to affect the game.  You could also limit the number punt returns by kicking OOB if you were so worried about not having a player as a single gunner on the field.

Edited by stevewin

1 hour ago, Mercyflush90 said:

Texans fan here. Our defense is very much a bend but don’t break defense so I fully expect y’all to put up some points against us as we do break sometimes lol. That being said it won’t be a cakewalk especially if watt is anywhere close to 100%. As for the offense that’s a whole other story. Not sure how y’all’s run defense is but that will be the key to having a shot at shutting down the Texans. Everyone worries about our passing game and maybe rightfully so, but our passing game runs through our run game. Not only does it make us one dimensional to have our run game shut down but it takes away all our play action and rollout plays which is how we usually like to throw the deep ball. So to me, the biggest key to y’alls victory Saturday is to stop the run, if y’all don’t I think y’all lose. 

I would say our D is also bend but don’t break. We don’t break often. Our run D is up and down. Sometimes we stuff a lot of plays and then other times we let one break for big yardage. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty good radio show with Houston guy interviewing Sal Capaccio.  He asked good questions and Sal had thoughtful answers

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/what-s-on-matt-s-mind/content/2020-01-02-sal-capaccio-shares-his-insight-covering-the-buffalo-bills/?Keyid=socialflow&Pname=local_social&Sc=editorial

And you won't, until just before ye deadline to turn in the roster (I think it's 1 hr before the game)

No reason for McDermott to tip his hand

inactives are 90 minutes so 3pm

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Favre slung it early. Certainly helped having a HOF level talent WR1; pro bowlers at WR2, WR3 and TE, and a RB with several 60 reception seasons though. Not to mention a coaching staff that had Mike Holmgren, Sherman Lewis, Steve Mariucci, Jon Gruden, Gil Haskell, and Andy Reid. Putting players and coaching talent like that around Allen and he’ll look a lot better quickly. Particularly if there weren’t any rules about not contacting players in the offseason. I like this coaching staff.... That early 90’s GB staff was one of the greatest offensive staffs ever assembled though. 

I agree but if you look at the first 2 years Farve was at GB, which were his 2nd & 3rd years in the NFL:

2nd year in the NFL/1st in GB Farve threw for a little over 3000 yards and had 18 TD passes & 13 INT's in 13 games started.

3rd year in the NFL/2nd year in GB Farve threw for a little over 3000 yards and had 19 TD passes & 24 INT's in 16 games started!  GB had a 9 - 7 record.  You know that Holmgren and Company had to be deeply frustrated by Farves play this season.

It wasn't until Farves 4th year in the NFL and 3rd at GB that he exploded into superstardom. 

• Like (+1) 1