Week 17: NJ Jets at Buffalo Bills PostGame

My observations are exactly what I expected out of a pseudo preseason game. Playing your backups against another team’s first stringers should rarely yield a win. 

Random observations of the game:

We continue to show that we do not have RB depth as Yeldon is a catch only back who runs way too upright.

Duke running around celebrating every 8 yard catch is ridiculous to me. However, he clearly showed there is no reason why we should ever dress Foster again ( find a new gunner McD ). 

McKenzie makes plays whenever he is given the chance and surprising dishes out some hits for a little guy. Loved him playing defense.

Barkley’s mistakes cost us the game. He looked poor in timing, decisions, and basic execution at times. I am sure some of it was the surrounding cast but I hope we find a better backup next year. 

if we had our back 7 out there we would have had at least 2-3 more picks today. 

Tommy Sweeney gets open a lot but he literally doesn’t block anyone and he runs like Lee Smith. I didn’t think that was possible. He looks like the next Nick O’Leary / Mark Brammar to me. 

Frank looked fresh today. I had hoped he had been saving his energy for the playoffs and today it certainly looked that way. 

Regardless of all the negatives, who cares because today was a practice game to get guys reps. BRING ON HOUSTON. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

You don’t need a vet backup. You can definitely draft a developmental guy to better fit your starting QBs skill set. 

From what I can tell, the backup QB is quite involved on the sideline in assisting the starter. Also from what I understand, Barkley has been very helpful to Allen’s development. So I would say these factors are actually more important than how the backup plays himself. A young QB probably needs a vet, and an experienced QB probably doesn’t as much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

bottom line no Brown no Beasley no Knox and Robert Foster/Tyler Kroft rips it up to the tune of 0 catches for 0 yards  These guys arent even depth players

Barkley was shaky and the rain was tough but I agree with you - Foster and Kroft did not step up as #2's.   

I think that Duke and Sweeney earned the right to dress next week.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Barkley was shaky and the rain was tough but I agree with you - Foster and Kroft did not step up as #2's.   

I think that Duke and Sweeney earned the right to dress next week.  

Hopefully McD agrees  Offense can use any juice they can find

6 minutes ago, dakrider said:

This game basically just reinforced how pitiful the Bills offense actually is, regardless of who's playing out there.  From play calling to execution to mistakes there's something on every possession that prevents this team from consistently scoring.  

While I agree it's a problem, this game proves nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

From what I can tell, the backup QB is quite involved on the sideline in assisting the starter. Also from what I understand, Barkley has been very helpful to Allen’s development. So I would say these factors are actually more important than how the backup plays himself. A young QB probably needs a vet, and an experienced QB probably doesn’t as much.

So I guess the question is when does Allen not need a mentor and he, himself considered a vet?

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It doesn't, but the 3 year history of offense under McDermott does. It's been abysmal to below average since his arrival. I question the evaluation of the offense as a whole under McD.... they value guys like Gore, Lee Smith, and Dimarco over someone like Yeldon or Williams who while not great, offer a lot more to the offense.

I agree with Scott's point.  McD still needs to get a grasp on offense and special teams, neither of which has been anything better than mediocre the past three years.  SB winning coaches understand all three phases, not just one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Can Sweeney and Duke stay active for playoffs!!!

Sweeney no but Duke was the 3rd leading receiver in the league today so far, busted a 100 yds with backup qb playing Jets starting defense.

Gotta consider mcKenzie returns kicks and the Duke stays active, as much as I love Roberts.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Still think Duke is inactive next week.

Daboll is married to his system and apparently Foster and his lack of production somehow fits the Daboll system better than... ya know... production...

After watching the game today, I don't care at all if foster plays again this season. Did he make a single catch? I don't know what more Duke would have to do to prove he's a good 3rd or 4th reciever, and can make a good catch if needed 

40 minutes ago, WideNine said:

He is a play maker. He practices against one of the best corners in the league and has some polish in his routes that were not there early.

You play your play makers - I would also like to see more creative plays that leverage our pretty good TE group that gets Sweeney more involved.

Yeldon should be getting more touches than Gore.

Folks have to understand that our guys were not going up against the Jets backups, we have some play makers that have been sitting behind guys that are not getting it done. Daboll's personnel choices and penchant for using primarily smaller players has become somewhat predictable and stale. It doth boggle the mind because with Sweeney and Yeldon out there as well as Williams, one would think that there are a lot of creative plays he could draw up.

Hopefully, this is the week where Daboll sets personal preferences aside and goes all out for the sake of winning.  Maybe the play today of Yeldon, Duke, Sweeney, etc. has raised Daboll's confidence in them that Daboll will buck his previous preferences in terms of personnel.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

After watching the game today, I don't care at all if foster plays again this season. Did he make a single catch? I don't know what more Duke would have to do to prove he's a good 3rd or 4th reciever, and can make a good catch if needed 

One good catch could be the difference in a playoff game.

But again, I don't think Daboll can see the forest through the trees.

46 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

bottom line no Brown no Beasley no Knox and Robert Foster/Tyler Kroft rips it up to the tune of 0 catches for 0 yards  These guys arent even depth players

Foster is a huge part of the Bills’ ST. Fans don’t notice those contributions, or lack thereof, until a big return happens.

If you want to be WR 5, you better contribute to STs. Otherwise you’ll never see the field.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Hopefully, this is the week where Daboll sets personal preferences aside and goes all out for the sake of winning.  Maybe the play today of Yeldon, Duke, Sweeney, etc. has raised Daboll's confidence in them that Daboll will buck his previous preferences in terms of personnel.

I’d venture that his “ personal preferences “ are aligned with what he believes will win . Not saying I agree with him, but there is no other motivation for his decisions than winning a game. If you believe his preferences may have been changed by today’s game, that’s another story altogether. 

• Thank you (+1) 1