Bruce Allen fired by the Redskins (update)

BillsFan4

Could Marvin Lewis resurface as Washington’s head coach?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2019, 12:43 PM EST

Last year, Marvin Lewis became a surprise firing in Cincinnati, given the belief (mistaken, as it turned out) that he was under contract for 2019. This year, he could become a surprise hiring, in Washington.

Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio reports, and PFT has confirmed, that Lewis is a serious contender to become the next coach in Washington. Marvez suggests that Lewis may have already interviewed for the job with owner Daniel Snyder.

Lewis, who joined former NFL head coach Herm Edwards at Arizona State this season, seemed to have moved on from the NFL, saying he doesn’t miss the pro game and doesn’t envision returning to it.

Of course, it’s easy to feel that way when the phone isn’t ringing. With Washington interested in Lewis, Lewis seems to be interested in Washington.

Lewis has a connection to Washington. He served as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach there in 2002 under Steve Spurrier. In 2003, Lewis became head coach of the Bengals, a job he held for 16 years.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/28/could-marvin-lewis-resurface-as-washingtons-head-coach/

It's only a first step. But it's a good one.

It still begs the question of whether winning is possible there under that owner. Maybe not.

8 hours ago, Bills Oil Company said:

Except for Offensive Coordinator  :)

Yeah, maybe. Though IMO Daboll will have to have another good year for teams to entirely buy in on him. 

13 hours ago, KayAdams said:

That's not what Sabres fans are saying. They have completely destroyed that franchise.

It took them time to learn how to be owners of a sports franchise. The LaFontane hire blew up in their face and were left with his GM, Tim Murray, who destroyed the tank job by giving away all the high draft picks and prospects like he was a drunken sailor on payday. The Botterill hire is slowly starting to pay dividends as he’s trying to build the depth back up starting in Rochester. 

13 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

i think terry and kim learned to stay away from the football operations after the rex ryan debacle. something snyder never learned

I agree. I know Terry got a lot of advice from Bill Polian which helped lead the Pegula’s in the right direction.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/30/bruce-allen-out-in-washington/

“As this season concludes, Bruce Allen has been relieved of his duties as President of the Washington Redskins and is no longer with the organization,” Snyder said in a statement. “Like our passionate fan base, I recognize we have not lived up to the high standards set by great Redskins teams, coaches and players who have come before us. As we reevaluate our team leadership, culture and process for winning football games, I am excited for the opportunities that lie ahead to renew our singular focus and purpose of bringing championship football back to Washington D.C.”