Potential Kareem Hunt Interest

JGMcD2

23 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Judging from the pic, he may have been smoking when it was taken too!

So let me get this straight..

He's pulled over for speeding

Cop smells pot (which I'd interpret to mean smoked, burnt pot)

Cop does search, finds a small amount

Gives him a ticket for speeding and sends him on his way.

So he's letting a stoned guy drive down the highway?

Glad I'm not driving around in Ohio! 

There's a lot of assumptions here. 

For all we know the car just generally smelled of pot (lingers in upholstery etc) or he claimed it did, as "probable cause" to search.  Lot depends upon where "small amount" found as to whether Hunt has any kind of 'plausible deniability' but it's for reals not a good look.

9 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

I interpreted it as unsmoked -- small stash, maybe for later.

But  the article said the "officer smelled weed" Could you really smell unsmoked weed? It has an odor but not much compared to smoked.   Hard to believe you'd smell un-smoked  (at least that's what I've been told)

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But  the article said the "officer smelled weed" Could you really smell unsmoked weed? It has an odor but not much compared to smoked.   Hard to believe you'd smell un-smoked  (at least that's what I've been told)

? Hell yes.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

He's gonna possibly get released and suspended again. Claiming it's his brother's after his history isn't going to fly with the NFL I'm sure. 

He’s a free agent so can’t be released. Will be interesting to see if/how he is tendered as an RFA by their new regime. 

38 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

heheheh

I was more thinking that the smell of smoking permeates the car upholstery.

But yeah, I can smell unsmoked weed.  I have a good, but not exceptional, sniffer.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was longer ago and the lifestyle change clearer and of longer duration, but some would say Duke Williams incident of breaking a teammate's jaw in a bar brawl and getting thrown off the Auburn team was uglier.  The injury was worse and the charges that could have been filed (but weren't) were more serious.  The redemption and change are more clear.

Ty Nsekhe has a 2nd degree felony conviction in his past and jail time.  Again, the redemption story is clear and of longer duration but it's quite the checkered past.

Those are just two I know of.  My bottom line is, I don't think that Beane and McDermott would hesitate to give a guy with an ugly past a chance, IF they are convinced that the lifestyle issue(s) leading to the incident have been addressed and the change in approach and attitude is sincere and lasting.   That's the question wrt Hunt.

I have more questions about the "meh" level of Hunt's most recent play.  He has not been a dawg this year from what I've seen.  Why?  With RBs, the mindset it takes to succeed in the NFL can evaporate in a damned hurry (Eddie Lacey => Bready Lazy etc) and there's no guarantee it returns. 

I don't think it's a good assumption that because Kim is a woman, she's going to overrule her FO if they've done their due diligence and feel Hunt has "changed state" mentally.

Giving up a draft pick and a relatively good RB contract for Hunt would be way down my list for performance reasons.

I think the issue would be that Nsekhe and Duke proved it over a period of time before coming here. Hunt isn’t years removed from an incident, and he hasn’t struggled and fought to resurrect a career from shambles as the other two have. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s a free agent so can’t be released. Will be interesting to see if/how he is tendered as an RFA by their new regime. 

Ahhh, I thought he had one more year left

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So Hunt was actually one of the only ones who didn’t quit at the end of the year and acted like a professional. However, he hasn’t shown he can keep it together in the offseason when the structure goes away. 

This.

Tying threads together, but one of the things David Molk (excuse me, "Johnny Anonymous") talked about in his NFL Confidential book that I didn't mention in my review, was just how incredibly structured football is, starting with the big college programs.  All day, many evenings (study halls etc), meals, appearances.  He talks about how a lot of guys in football flounder when they don't have that structure around them. 

They may not have come from good family situations; they may not have had time to create good social situations for themselves outside football.  So they slide back into friendships from their original neighborhoods where their friends may be involved in some degree or another of drugs or various flavors of thuggery.

Hunt wouldn't be a bad addition, but I don't think he fits with what the Bills need out of a running back behind Singletary. Singletary in my mind is a Lev Bell (although not as talented and a bit smaller) type lead back who can be used in both passing situations and early down situations. What the Bills need is a big time bruiser back who can work over the short yardage situations and take some early down work off of Singletary. Hunt in my mind is more of a receiving back who can do some early down work (like Singletary) but certainly isn't a bruiser or short yardage back. 

Now since Hunt is talented I wouldn't mind adding him at the right price. But overall I just don't see him being the kind of player the Bills want and that's just talking about on the field fit. Factoring in the off-field issues I would say this team definitely stays away. 

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If it's good *****, you can.