Potential Kareem Hunt Interest

JGMcD2

7 hours ago, Locomark said:

Anything more than $5 over a 3 yr term for any get RB in this league is a waste of money. If they could get Hunt or Henry for that, so be it. Hunt would be a great spread weapon. While I subscribe to the draft a back in later rounds theory, if getting Hunt allowed us to draft an extra WR or DE in the first 3-4 rounds then I am all for it. 

Christian McCaffrey says I'll give you 1000+ yards rushing and 1000+ yards receiving every year til he retires. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you had the chance, you wouldn't take Christian McCaffrey?

A RB does have value in the first round ONLY if they're able to do more than just run the ball. Barkley, McCaffrey; these guys are dynamic playmakers in both the pass and run game. I don't even think Zeke was a great pick at #4 TBH. 

The notion of drafting a guy like Taylor who has 300 yards receiving in 3 years at Wisconsin in the FIRST round would be foolish. Poor value. 

The Bills absolutely need a running back, but I'd like to think they're looking at guys in the 3-5 rd. range.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I'd like to see Buffalo dress three real running backs every week next season.  I'm OK with Hunt if Beane thinks he fits the culture and budget.  I expect to see a guy drafted too.

This.

A rookie with no speed, a guy who’s been past his prime for a couple years now, TJ Yeldon?? a freakin’ FULLBACK???.

Yeeeesh! Take Allen’s running out of the equation and we DON’T have a running threat.

12 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Limited maybe.... but in 3 off seasons, they have yet to take a chance on a player that had as ugly of an incident as Kareem Hunt. 

It was longer ago and the lifestyle change clearer and of longer duration, but some would say Duke Williams incident of breaking a teammate's jaw in a bar brawl and getting thrown off the Auburn team was uglier.  The injury was worse and the charges that could have been filed (but weren't) were more serious.  The redemption and change are more clear.

Ty Nsekhe has a 2nd degree felony conviction in his past and jail time.  Again, the redemption story is clear and of longer duration but it's quite the checkered past.

Those are just two I know of.  My bottom line is, I don't think that Beane and McDermott would hesitate to give a guy with an ugly past a chance, IF they are convinced that the lifestyle issue(s) leading to the incident have been addressed and the change in approach and attitude is sincere and lasting.   That's the question wrt Hunt.

I have more questions about the "meh" level of Hunt's most recent play.  He has not been a dawg this year from what I've seen.  Why?  With RBs, the mindset it takes to succeed in the NFL can evaporate in a damned hurry (Eddie Lacey => Bready Lazy etc) and there's no guarantee it returns. 

12 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I can’t think of one player that this regime has been comfortable in taking a chance one.   To complicate matters this teams owner is a female.  I’m not thinking that signing a player who is probably best known for kicking a woman on camera, is the a good look for the Bills.

I don't think it's a good assumption that because Kim is a woman, she's going to overrule her FO if they've done their due diligence and feel Hunt has "changed state" mentally.

Giving up a draft pick and a relatively good RB contract for Hunt would be way down my list for performance reasons.

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

You can’t predict Dillon is going to have a Derrick Henry kind of impact. You get what you pay for sometimes. At least with Henry you know what he brings to the table and even for being in the league 4 years he doesn’t have the normal wear and tear. 
Im sure Beane will be exploring a back to pair with motor 

One of the benefits to Henry is that he’s spent most of his college and NFL career in two back rotations. He’s used to splitting carries and coming in to hammer a defense. Singletary has also proven he can come off the bench and thrash a D. It’s honestly the best two back combination we could have. It’s going to be interesting how that reflects in Henry’s contract though as he’s not really a guy you can use in the passing game. 

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was longer ago and the lifestyle change clearer and of longer duration, but some would say Duke Williams incident of breaking a teammate's jaw in a bar brawl and getting thrown off the Auburn team was uglier.  The injury was worse and the charges that could have been filed (but weren't) were more serious.  The redemption and change are more clear.

Ty Nsekhe has a 2nd degree felony conviction in his past and jail time.  Again, the redemption story is clear and of longer duration but it's quite the checkered past.

Those are just two I know of.  My bottom line is, I don't think that Beane and McDermott would hesitate to give a guy with an ugly past a chance, IF they are convinced that the lifestyle issue(s) leading to the incident have been addressed and the change in approach and attitude is sincere and lasting.   That's the question wrt Hunt.

I have more questions about the "meh" level of Hunt's most recent play.  He has not been a dawg this year from what I've seen.  Why?  With RBs, the mindset it takes to succeed in the NFL can evaporate in a damned hurry (Eddie Lacey => Bready Lazy etc) and there's no guarantee it returns. 

I don't think it's a good assumption that because Kim is a woman, she's going to overrule her FO if they've done their due diligence and feel Hunt has "changed state" mentally.

Giving up a draft pick and a relatively good RB contract for Hunt would be way down my list for performance reasons.

These examples aren’t really on the same level - one was a bar fight and the other was a burglary.   They also happened years ago and neither was near as high-profile as Hunt.  

It’s also the type of the incident and the fact that it was captured on camera.  It’s not just as accusation, you can literally see Hunt kick the female in the head.  Domestic violence is currently a talking point in sports (and society) today.  Right or wrong, people seem to be more forgiving over other negative incidents than they are with domestic violence.     

I don’t believe Kim would over rule them, but I also don’t think that as an organization, the Bills are interested in onboarding a player with that kind of background.  

Edited by Phil The Thrill

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

These examples aren’t really on the same level - one was a bar fight and the other was a burglary.   They also happened years ago and neither was near as high-profile as Hunt.  

It’s also the type of the incident and the fact that it was captures on camera.  Domestic violence is currently a talking point in sports (and society) today.  Right or wrong, people seem to be more forgiving over other negative incidents than they are with domestic violence.     

I don’t believe Kim would over rule them, but I also don’t think that as an organization, the Bills are interested in onboarding a player with that kind of background. 

I think they're on another level, too, but in the other direction ?‍♂️  so we'll have to agree to disagree

I'm not saying it was a nothing-burger, but the girl in question was not in a relationship of any kind with Hunt and was totally uninjured.  The only reason I think it became a big deal and he was cut by the Chiefs, was because Hunt had 3 incidents that off-season and because Hunt lied to the team and the league about the 3rd incident, saying he never came out of the room nor touched the woman himself.

Hopefully we can agree on the point, McDermott and Beane would have to be persuaded that a player with a checkered past has changed their ways.

Again, my big concern about Hunt isn't his past, it's why his level of play was so "meh" for the Browns.  Maybe it's not on him, it's not like I've watched his every snap.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they're on another level, too, but in the other direction ?‍♂️  so we'll have to agree to disagree

I'm not saying it was a nothing-burger, but the girl in question was not in a relationship of any kind with Hunt and was totally uninjured.  The only reason I think it became a big deal and he was cut by the Chiefs, was because Hunt had 3 incidents that off-season and because Hunt lied to the team and the league about the 3rd incident, saying he never came out of the room nor touched the woman himself.

Hopefully we can agree on the point, McDermott and Beane would have to be persuaded that a player with a checkered past has changed their ways.

Again, my big concern about Hunt isn't his past, it's why his level of play was so "meh" for the Browns.  Maybe it's not on him, it's not like I've watched his every snap.

Yep...with you on that ??

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you had the chance, you wouldn't take Christian McCaffrey?

Tough as it sounds, I wouldn't roll the dice. We have been burnt way too many times in the past when higher impact players were still on the board.

Also look at the Giants. When they picked Barkley, I was of the opinion they should have picked a QB instead to take a smooth handoff from Eli. In retrospect, did Barkley affect their overall O performance enough ? It was a QB rich class, and the Giants would have been better served picking a Darnold, Allen or Jackson. 

So, as much a weapon that McCaffrey is, it is a safer choice, at the time of the draft (and not in retrospect) to pick a player at a rarer position of general availability.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Isn't that the Browns team motto?... 

EDIT:   Yipp-ki-yea!   

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/kareem-hunt-pulled-over-marijuana-found-in-the-car-cited-for-speeding

He's gonna possibly get released and suspended again. Claiming it's his brother's after his history isn't going to fly with the NFL I'm sure. 

Edited by H2o

Judging from the pic, he may have been smoking when it was taken too!

So let me get this straight..

He's pulled over for speeding

Cop smells pot (which I'd interpret to mean smoked, burnt pot)

Cop does search, finds a small amount

Gives him a ticket for speeding and sends him on his way.

So he's letting a stoned guy drive down the highway?

Glad I'm not driving around in Ohio!