Buffalo Bills 1963 Highlights

I remember sitting with my dad in the bleachers in the Rockpile for the playoff game we lost to the Patsies.  It had snowed during the week, and the snow removal in the bleachers consisted of pushing down the snow with a steel garbage can so everyone knew where their seat was [bleachers had the seat numbers painted on the boards, but they didn't bother to shovel them out].  Needless to say we had frozen backsides, and the Bills stunk the joint out that day. Bills highlight was a 93 yard pass from Lamonica to [RIP] Golden Wheels.

20 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I remember sitting with my dad in the bleachers in the Rockpile for the playoff game we lost to the Patsies.  It had snowed during the week, and the snow removal in the bleachers consisted of pushing down the snow with a steel garbage can so everyone knew where their seat was [bleachers had the seat numbers painted on the boards, but they didn't bother to shovel them out].  Needless to say we had frozen backsides, and the Bills stunk the joint out that day. Bills highlight was a 93 yard pass from Lamonica to [RIP] Golden Wheels.

My dad and I had endzone seats for that game, which was my last regular season game at the Rockpile (we moved in the summer of '64, but I did make a preseason game against the Lions in OJ's  rookie season in '69).  It was freezing at that game. Of course the Bills won the championship the next two years so I guess I was the curse.

Ah memories! Roger Kochman? Tragic. Cookie Gilchrist? Monster. Night games at the Rockpile? Dark, damn dark. Goal posts on the goal line? Suprised more players werent killed. Vito "Babe" Parelli? Major nemisis. Paul Lowe, Keith Lincoln and Lance Alworth? The best offense of the AFL. 1963? Prelude to greatness. $10 deposit for season tickets? Would have been worth it.

Thanks for posting this!

Edited by BubbaT

6 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Ah memories! Roger Kaufman? Tragic. Cookie Gilchrist? Monster. Night games at the Rockpile? Dark, damn dark. Goal posts on the goal line? Suprised more players werent killed. Vito "Babe" Parelli? Major nemisis. Paul Lowe, Keith Lincoln and Lance Alworth? The best offense of the AFL. 1963? Prelude to greatness. $10 deposit for season tickets? Would have been worth it.

Thanks for posting this!

I hadn't remembered Roger Kochman - and he never played again after that injury. The old AFL was so much fun. One bomb after another, which is one reason the passing percentages were so much lower.

Thanks for posting this.  The memories are something else.  And this a day after Duby sadly passed away.  Charlie Ferguson used to come into JN Adams on Main St. and purchase men's wear from me, all 6'5" of him.  And Cookie, who showed up at his first Bills camp in his gold cadillac with "Lookee lookee here comes Cookie" painted on the side.

2 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

I hadn't remembered Roger Kochman - and he never played again after that injury. The old AFL was so much fun. One bomb after another, which is one reason the passing percentages were so much lower.

It had been so long ago I misspelled his name. I corrected it. I remember he was outstanding in the brief career he did have. I wonder with the advances in medicine since then if he could have gone on to have a fulfilling career.

The old AFL games were a blast. Tons of offense and some stars that never really got their just due after the merger.

Edited by BubbaT

12 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Different uniforms as well

1st evolution from Silver & Blue. 1st buffalo on the helmet. Shoulder stripes only lasted this one season. 2 blue stripes were added to the helmet in ‘65. Uni nuances are how I can tell what year a picture was taken.