Tre/Allen for Mahomes Outcome

BillsfaninSB

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No I don’t think we can.  If Allen develops into a quality franchise QB, yes.  But while he’s shown promise, he’s not there yet.

No other position is worth passing up a shot at a true franchise QB, and Mahomes looks to be Truth in that regard.

imo Josh Allen HAS developed into a franchise QB......he just is not on the level of Mohommes and may never be.  Even if he does not reach that level I dont consider it a knock because you hae to compare Allen to the rest of the leagues quarterbacks and not just MP.

Tre was always the player that put this over the top for me.   Tre one of the very best corners in the league.....Allen is a young franchise quarterback.

We will see, if Allen is a top 10 QB year in and year out the Bills will not be portrayed as historic losers. But even though White is a top flight All-Pro CB he still isn't worth missing out on a possibly generational QB. But if Allen develops into a top QB and Tre stays healthy no one is going to look at the Bills as having made the wrong move. Especially if Edumonds and Tre are foundational pieces for the defense the next 5 years and Allen is a quality QB. As the real pieces the Bills got for Mahomes was essentially Edumonds and White. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They might be undefeated 

Mahomes nearly carried the 2nd worst defense to the SB.  Allen has played with a top 3 defense both years. You don’t think Brown and Beasley would be monsters with Mahomes?

Mahomes wouldn’t have survived Buffalo’s 2018 OL.

2 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The Bills selected really good players.  The Chiefs won the trade.

After 2 and 3 seasons, can you honestly answer? Allen's numbers since Game 5 (17 td, 3 int, 6 rushing tds) and he's about to go to the playoffs. Pat Mahomes in last 11 games (18 td, 4 int, 2 rushing tds) and also about to go to the playoffs. I'm not saying they are equal yet, and Mahomes had perhaps the greatest second year ever, so hard for Allen to get close to that (but Allen's was not shabby), but the jury is still out on Allen and we don't seem to appreciate just how well he has been playing since he got a full's year worth of games under his belt. 

If they are both QBs in the top ten for the next decade, but if we also got one of the best players at STOPPING the opponent's QBs (right now, he's second in the league at opponent QBR and tops in allowing TDs at, um, zero -- and who got the only TD against the number one QBR -- Josh Allen), can you really truly say we lost the deal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Although Josh is still developing, can we put to rest the 2017 trade down was not a disaster?

KC netted Mahones while the Bills landed White and then Allen the following year with the draft capital.  Seems like a win-win deal right now. 

It's not a total disaster but it's still a horrible trade for the Bills right now... And don't get me wrong, i love josh Allen and think he'll continue to grow, but he's no where near Mahomes level right now.

If Allen continues to progress and gets int the conversation for being a Top 5 QB then we can reassess.

6 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Although Josh is still developing, can we put to rest the 2017 trade down was not a disaster?

KC netted Mahones while the Bills landed White and then Allen the following year with the draft capital.  Seems like a win-win deal right now. 

False.

Not sure why this continues to be perpetuated but Allen was not acquired with any capital from that trade.

The Bills netted Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds from the trade that netted the Chiefs Patrick Mahomes.

Allen was acquired with the pick netted after 2 trade ups from the Bills own 2018 first rounder.     They used Cordy Glenn(to Cinci) in a pre-draft trade and then on draft day the pick acquired from the Rams for Sammy Watkins.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Mahomes has come down a bit this year, but is still a top 5 QB. Allen is looking over the edge of top 15. So now, no. Probably not a good trade. That being said, if Allen becomes a top 10-5 QB, which I expect, then yeah. Getting Tremaine Edmunds, Josh Allen, and Tre White for Pat Mahomes will be worth it. 

6 hours ago, billspro said:

I would obviously take Mahommes over both of them. Saying that the trade still worked out well for us. I think Allen can be a Big Ben level QB and White could be the best DB in the league. There is also no way to know how Mahommes would have played in Buffalo. He probably would have been good but I don’t think he would be anywhere near the level he reached in KC. We don’t have the coaching or the talent KC has on offence. No one would look great with the oline and WRs we put together. 

This is a fair take. There are people who believe Mahomes would have been TRASH under the circumstances in Buffalo. I don't think they've watched him play. He wouldn't be AS good. No doubt about that. But he's an elite QB. Elite QB's find a way.

Allen's progress will determine if this trade worked out OK. As far as "putting it to bed," I've done that. It happened. But in the context of whether the trade worked out, time will tell.

Need Allen to take that next step and Beane to surround him with a "supporting cast" that's more of an asset than a liability.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1