Tre/Allen for Mahomes Outcome

BillsfaninSB

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Although Josh is still developing, can we put to rest the 2017 trade down was not a disaster?

KC netted Mahones while the Bills landed White and then Allen the following year with the draft capital.  Seems like a win-win deal right now. 

You could also ask yourself ... would you trade Tre and Allen for Mahomes.  That gives you a similar, but different perspective on that situation.

3 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

You could also ask yourself ... would you trade Tre and Allen for Mahomes.  That gives you a similar, but different perspective on that situation.

I would not.  Maybe I’m being overly optimistic but I think Josh will improve considerably.  He is the right guy for this team right now.

Why do we need this comparison?

Mahomes got to sit a year on a READY-MADE offense.............

while Allen started IMMEDIATELY on an offense that needed a complete makeover and still has to be developed.

This is a silly comparison bar none.

The question should be............

Would Mahomes have made it out alive if he had to start on the Bills 2018 offense?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Between the two teams, zero rings since the sky came crashing down (aka "the day the Bills didn't take Mahomes).

It is definitely time to put this stupid argument to bed.  The teams were in completely different places when this draft took place.

The outrage about it has been asinine since day one, IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

If the Bills had Mahomes they’d be Super Bowl favorites...let that sink in for a moment...

They might be undefeated 

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why do we need this comparison?

Mahomes got to sit a year on a READY-MADE offense.............

while Allen started IMMEDIATELY on an offense that needed a complete makeover and still has to be developed.

This is a silly comparison bar none.

The question should be............

Would Mahomes have made it out alive if he had to start on the Bills 2018 offense?

Mahomes nearly carried the 2nd worst defense to the SB.  Allen has played with a top 3 defense both years. You don’t think Brown and Beasley would be monsters with Mahomes?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Although Josh is still developing, can we put to rest the 2017 trade down was not a disaster?

KC netted Mahones while the Bills landed White and then Allen the following year with the draft capital.  Seems like a win-win deal right now. 

certainly not a disaster (so far) but it’s too early to say it’s a win-win. I’d think we’d have to wait until Allen gets renewed (or gets to the Super Bowl ?) in order to say that. KC got a MVP QB in the deal, so I have to lean their way right now.

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

PLEASE don’t poke THAT bear!!!

Somehow when I initially read this, I read it as “please don’t poke THAT PART of the bear!!!!”

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They might be undefeated 

Mahomes nearly carried the 2nd worst defense to the SB.  Allen has played with a top 3 defense both years. You don’t think Brown and Beasley would be monsters with Mahomes?

That’s a really good question.  Let me just say I think Hill >>> Brown and Kelce >>> Knox at this point.  

The narrative on Mahomes is that he’s Mr Pinpoint Accurate but let me just say I’ve seen both Hill and especially Kelce make plenty a ZIP Code catch, and many a contested catch

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’s not a disaster.  There isn’t a chief fan in the world that would take that trade back.  There are many Bills fans that would.  I’m as big a Tre and JA fan as there is, but Mahomes may eventually be the best QB ever.  Emphasis on “may eventually be”

Best ever? Haha, ok.

I don't see many claiming that the trade was a disaster. Gotta give the Chiefs the edge right now. They drafted an MVP QB with their pick, but both teams have quality, key players from the trade. In the future it will hopefully be viewed as more of an even trade, because that would mean Josh has seriously developed.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

You may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself
Where does that highway go to?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say yourself
"My God! What have I done?"

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

You may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself
Where does that highway go to?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say yourself
"My God! What have I done?"

And just like the conversations about this topic:  Same as it ever was ... Same as it ever was ....

• Haha (+1) 3

Seems pretty obvious to me that BOTH teams made out on the trade.  Not everything is zero sum.

KC got a potential generational talent at QB.  And in 2017 was there a team better prepared to develop such a talent then the Chiefs?  A roster loaded with high end offensive talent; one of the finest offensive coaches in the NFL and an unselfish veteran QB willing to take Mahomes under his wing.  Even better the Chiefs did not have to start Mahomes right away and had the luxury to sit him for almost the entire 2017 to allow him to observe & grow.

Had Mahomes gone to the salary CAP deficient Bills in 2017 he would have floundered.  Even today, Mahomes would not be putting up the numbers in Buffalo that he is in KC.  A defensive minded coach and a lack of true game breakers would have seen to that.

On the Bills side they got a true shutdown corner.  Maybe the best in the NFL.  And while the jury may still be out on Allen he's closing the gap with Mahomes and appears more likely then not to be the Bills franchise QB for the next decade.  When he reaches that level, probably by next year, then yes the Bills will have made out just as well as the Chiefs in that trade.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No I don’t think we can.  If Allen develops into a quality franchise QB, yes.  But while he’s shown promise, he’s not there yet.

No other position is worth passing up a shot at a true franchise QB, and Mahomes looks to be Truth in that regard.

yea, unless mahomes falls off a cliff and/or Allen makes a jump- kc won. But both those things are very possible with young QBs 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Best ever? Haha, ok.

I don't see many claiming that the trade was a disaster. Gotta give the Chiefs the edge right now. They drafted an MVP QB with their pick, but both teams have quality, key players from the trade. In the future it will hopefully be viewed as more of an even trade, because that would mean Josh has seriously developed.

Emphasis on could be