Falcons bringing back Quinn & GM

Virgil

I think a lot of teams will be doing this. Jets will likely keep Gase on (and said as much). And word is that Cleveland will keep Kitchens on for another year. One and done is a tough business. 

Jay Gruden & Rivera are gone already. I see...

Garrett (Dal)

Shurmur (NYG)

Getting tossed.

Nagy made the playoffs last season, so he’ll probably get another year.

The Lions I believe said they’ll keep Patricia. 
Lock may be helping to keep Fangio in place for a year. 

anthony Lynn is a good coach and will stick in LA for another year. 

but all in all I see those 4 jobs really being the only ones, with one or two others being slight possibilities 

The chances of him turning around is not high.  Blank is a loyal owner.  He’s not Ralph who meddles as much as I appreciate everything Mr. Wilson did for this team and city.

Sometimes a DC is what people are meant for vs. a HC.  Wade Phillips admitted that several times.  Todd Bowles is a solid DC, but not a HC.

I have nothing against Quinn.  If he can turn it around next year, great.  If not, move on.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Not to mention that he just keeps gutting his staff and taking MORE control. And every time he does, things get worse.

What could he possibly be selling himself on at this point? He's got a QB that took them to a Super Bowl, a high priced RB, 2 excellent WRs, 4 first round picks on the OL, and a pro bowl TE on offense.

Defensively, he's got his own hand-picked pair of EDGE rushers, a pro bowl DT in Jarrett, a pro bowl LB in Jones, and a slew of 1st and 2nd round DBs.

I don't get it 

Me neither. They always beat a good team or two every season as well which tells me it definitely is not talent that is holding them back. It is culture and coaching. 

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I think a lot of teams will be doing this. Jets will likely keep Gase on (and said as much). And word is that Cleveland will keep Kitchens on for another year. One and done is a tough business. 

Garrett (Dal)

Shurmur (NYG)

Getting tossed.

but all in all I see those 4 jobs really being the only ones, with one or two others being slight possibilities 

Marrone and I still think Kitchens. Taking you the average 6.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think Shanahan is being given all of that credit.  They’ve been inept ever since 

Not really true. The year after Shanahan left, they had a good offense and lost in a squeaker in the second round of the playoffs at Philly (the eventual SB winner). The offense was good last year too. They just had a ridiculous number of defensive injuries in 2018. I can't really fathom them this year other than to say that they're better than their record. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I mean Quinn did just make it to a Super Bowl 2 years ago. I know they've been bad since then but I always thought it would be reactionary to fire a Super Bowl coach that quickly.

Dimitroff I am more surprised about. He's been there for over 10 years and has completely failed to build a competent offensive line or defense. That team has been nothing but Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for years.

They were good the next year too. The loss to Philly in the playoffs came down to basically the final play. They missed on a fourth-and-goal play from the 2 in the final minute and lost 15-10. They beat the Rams in LA in the first round.

Edited by dave mcbride

That division should be theirs next year: Cam Newton era is officially over, so the Panthers will have someone new under center; the Saints look like they're gearing up for a grand finale with the AB activity today, although Bridgewater may keep them elite; the Bucs will either be rolling with Jameis, or rebuilding post-Jameis. 

The Rams seem to be moving in the wrong direction, the NFC East is weak, and the Falcons already beat the 9ers this year. 

Falcons finished the year either 6-2 or 5-3.

I like rolling into the next season with a Super Bowl head coach/quarterback/combo. With the rate of turnover being what it is in the NFL, that's a rare club to be in. In fact, who's there? Patriots, Saints, Falcons, Seahawks, and Rams. On balance, look at the success of those teams. The Falcons SHOULD be one of the NFLs elite teams, so looking at their post Super Bowl run (in my opinion) you owe them the benefit of the doubt. Football is a game of weird bounces. If I owned that team, I'd rather gamble with the pocket 9s I'm holding, than fold this hand and hope to catch lightening on the next deal. They might not be the chip leaders at the table, but they have gone high enough with this leadership team to justify bringing them back.

BUT. BUT.

BUT.

If Josh Allen and McD are up 28-3 late in the third quarter of the Super Bowl, and blow it, and then string together a nondescript 10-6 season followed by two 7-9 seasons, I would want the entire freaking organization purged of their defeatist attitudes and bad juju, and would be posting on here that the holdover guys like Tre should see trauma counselors to right the ship.

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

...Pioli resigned as Assistant GM in May 2019....he and Dimitroff were former Patsies FO boyz together....I think Dimitroff reported to Pioli who then left for KC......then Dimitroff hired him for HotLanta......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The chances of him turning around is not high.  Blank is a loyal owner.  He’s not Ralph who meddles as much as I appreciate everything Mr. Wilson did for this team and city.

Sometimes a DC is what people are meant for vs. a HC.  Wade Phillips admitted that several times.  Todd Bowles is a solid DC, but not a HC.

I have nothing against Quinn.  If he can turn it around next year, great.  If not, move on.

Actually Quinn is cut out of same cloth as our  guy.  Hard nosed but relates well with today’s players.  Last year and this the team was hit hard with injuries.  I think next year Saints slip to 7-9 and Falcons 10-6 and win division if they draft for defense.  They are best team not in playoffs.  They have been one of best teams since November.  They didn’t run for bus, which reflects well on Quinn.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Why? Is the only thing that comes to mind. As someone who lives in Atlanta and follows the Falcons by default of loving football and listening to sports talk, I don’t get it.

Blank is quietly a bad owner when it comes to football operations. Blank is a great humanitarian but not great at owning  a NFL team. During the Julio Jones negotiations Blank told the media that Julio would retire a Falcon. That’s not the first time Blank has meddled in negotiations. Blank has consistently backed Dimitrof. The Falcons have brought in numerous ex-GM’s to help, including Pioli to help pick lineman. Dimitrof struggled mightily trying to find good linemen. 
Quinn and Dimitrof are friends it appears. Almost seems to me as if Blank didn’t want to lose Dimitrof so he allowed him to keep Quinn. 
If the Falcons start off bad next year it’s going to get ugly quick. 

Art Blank should give those fans a huge break and cash out.  Where is the joy in owning this team for him at this point?  Take the money, keep the suite and the VIP treatment.

Just leave already.

52 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Actually Quinn is cut out of same cloth as our  guy.  Hard nosed but relates well with today’s players.  Last year and this the team was hit hard with injuries.  I think next year Saints slip to 7-9 and Falcons 10-6 and win division if they draft for defense.  They are best team not in playoffs.  They have been one of best teams since November.  They didn’t run for bus, which reflects well on Quinn.

Their QB has won 108 games in 12 seasons......4 career playoff wins.

They aren't going much farther next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Garrett (Dal)

Shurmur (NYG)

Getting tossed.

Marrone is probably gone in Jacksonville unless the owner dies and there's some crazy clause in his contract that means he can still get paid after quitting.

10 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Not to mention that he just keeps gutting his staff and taking MORE control. And every time he does, things get worse.

What could he possibly be selling himself on at this point? He's got a QB that took them to a Super Bowl, a high priced RB, 2 excellent WRs, 4 first round picks on the OL, and a pro bowl TE on offense.

Defensively, he's got his own hand-picked pair of EDGE rushers, a pro bowl DT in Jarrett, a pro bowl LB in Jones, and a slew of 1st and 2nd round DBs.

I don't get it 

I think the answer is "The Home Depot wasn't built in a day".

Neither was Ford Motor Company.

A nice aspect of The Pegs as owners is that they weren't bringing that kind of background into the football operations equation.   

Up 28-3 late in the 3rd

If they handed off every play they would have probably won

It took a sack fumble and a whole lot of other blunders to set NE up to even tie

Still, after everything that happened Atlanta had the ball at the NE 25 with about 3 minutes left up 8 points

They still blew it. 

Totally inexcusable. After what Atlanta did to America I hope they go 6-10 for the next 20 years 

Edited by TheFunPolice

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the answer is "The Home Depot wasn't built in a day".

Neither was Ford Motor Company.

A nice aspect of The Pegs as owners is that they weren't bringing that kind of background into the football operations equation.   

Fracking right !

??

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Fracking right !

??

Yeah it's controversial but it's also a much more "modern" way of acquiring wealth.    Fast and with few employees.   I think TP was a billionaire before he had enough employees to field a company softball team.

When you have thousands of employees and brick and mortar factories/stores your business decisions tend to be, by nature,  more deliberate.

Except in the very rare case where ownership is adept at sports ops...........the patience for patience sake approach really doesn't apply well to pro sports.  

Bumping to ask if anyone has looked at the Falcons' cap situation?

No wonder they didn't make a change; no GM or coach in their right mind would walk into this mess: $2M over the cap for 2020 with massive dead money hits if they release any of their 7 highest paid players aside from Alex Mack. That's brutal.

They can create some breathing room by cutting some of their depth guys, but they'll be less than $20M under the cap with 40 players under contract.

It's a disaster right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1