Falcons bringing back Quinn & GM

Virgil

Oh man I would seriously be flipping out if I was an Atlanta fan. They are just wasting that roster away with this guy. They have been hot garbage almost every season under him minus when shanahan was there. 
How you gonna hire and then continue to retain your defensive coach when the defense is horrible almost every season?
Yet the offense is stacked with weapons and they still underachieve every season almost. 
I think Atlanta fans need to buy a billboard ?? remember those day’s 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Oh man I would seriously be flipping out if I was an Atlanta fan. They are just wasting that roster away with this guy. They have been hot garbage almost every season under him minus when shanahan was there. 
How you gonna hire and then continue to retain your defensive coach when the defense is horrible almost every season?
Yet the offense is stacked with weapons and they still underachieve every season almost. 

Atlanta is a city of transplants and UGA fans. Nobody is buying a billboard.

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not to mention that he just keeps gutting his staff and taking MORE control. And every time he does, things get worse.

What could he possibly be selling himself on at this point? He's got a QB that took them to a Super Bowl, a high priced RB, 2 excellent WRs, 4 first round picks on the OL, and a pro bowl TE on offense.

Defensively, he's got his own hand-picked pair of EDGE rushers, a pro bowl DT in Jarrett, a pro bowl LB in Jones, and a slew of 1st and 2nd round DBs.

I don't get it 

Why? Is the only thing that comes to mind. As someone who lives in Atlanta and follows the Falcons by default of loving football and listening to sports talk, I don’t get it.

Blank is quietly a bad owner when it comes to football operations. Blank is a great humanitarian but not great at owning  a NFL team. During the Julio Jones negotiations Blank told the media that Julio would retire a Falcon. That’s not the first time Blank has meddled in negotiations. Blank has consistently backed Dimitrof. The Falcons have brought in numerous ex-GM’s to help, including Pioli to help pick lineman. Dimitrof struggled mightily trying to find good linemen. 
Quinn and Dimitrof are friends it appears. Almost seems to me as if Blank didn’t want to lose Dimitrof so he allowed him to keep Quinn. 
If the Falcons start off bad next year it’s going to get ugly quick. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I like the move actually.  Changing coaches every other year isn’t the answer usually either.  

Quinn has been there like 6 years or something. Maybe more. I’m too lazy to google it. He’s changed coordinators almost yearly cause everyone needs a scapegoat 

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

He was up 28-3 on Brady and Belichick late in the 3rd quarter of the Superbowl

That team has been in some type of weird twilight ever since

Yeah Kyle shanahan left lol.. He was the only success they’ve had 

• Like (+1) 1

If you read the article it kinda answers the "why?" question. Blank feels like they got on the right track in the second half of the season, after Quinn handed over defensive play-calling duties to Raheem Morris. They had road wins over the Saints and 49ers, plus the players really seem to like DQ. It's interesting that it's his defensive system but the minute he let someone else call the plays they got way better. Maybe he was in a situation where he was overthinking things and outsmarting himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

8-8

11-5 (most embarrassing superbowl loss in history)

10-6

7-9

6-9

All with a top 5 QB. That's a tough pill to swallow right there. 

^This. 

There is no excuse for that offense to be so terrible.   They play a solid division, but not one that prevents them from being good.  

Could be 7-9 two seasons in a row.  I wonder where I’ve seen that before?

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

If you read the article it kinda answers the "why?" question. Blank feels like they got on the right track in the second half of the season, after Quinn handed over defensive play-calling duties to Raheem Morris. They had road wins over the Saints and 49ers, plus the players really seem to like DQ. It's interesting that it's his defensive system but the minute he let someone else call the plays they got way better. Maybe he was in a situation where he was overthinking things and outsmarting himself. 

Maybe the players liking him is part of the problem 

• Like (+1) 1

I mean Quinn did just make it to a Super Bowl 2 years ago. I know they've been bad since then but I always thought it would be reactionary to fire a Super Bowl coach that quickly.

Dimitroff I am more surprised about. He's been there for over 10 years and has completely failed to build a competent offensive line or defense. That team has been nothing but Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for years.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean Quinn did just make it to a Super Bowl 2 years ago. I know they've been bad since then but I always thought it would be reactionary to fire a Super Bowl coach that quickly.

Dimitroff I am more surprised about. He's been there for over 10 years and has completely failed to build a competent offensive line or defense. That team has been nothing but Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for years.

I think Shanahan is being given all of that credit.  They’ve been inept ever since