Ever read this board and think how the heck is this team 10-5?

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No pash rush...get run all over...oline can’t block to save their lives...Cody Ford should be selling insurance...Edwards sucks...Milano sucks...Oliver is a bust...always getting out coached...and Josh Allen sucks so bad Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell feel sorry for you level suck...I could imagine what people would be like if we where 5-10 

Well it's because everyone sucks. Allen has obviously reached his ceiling; at 21, Edmunds hasn't made a Pro Bowl; the team chooses not to have a superstar opposite Tre White; they never practice special teams; the coaches don't watch tape; the team lacks a true #1 WR; and they need a new center.  Those are the positives . . .

44 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cmon man. Nobody says this teams sucks. Many have opinions about certain players and coaches. I am pro Allen and anti-Edmunds.

Two wins over teams with barely winning records. Tennessee has since benched the QB Bills played against. Steelers started a guy named Duck and was still in the game to the last drive.  That said, Dallas had a winning record at the time and regardless is a very good win.

Bills are very good but not dominant on defense and average on offense and special teams. Add a weak schedule and you get 10-5.

It's just the reality. None of that means anything when the playoff game is played. They should match up well with Houston and have a good chance at a win.  They competed well with Baltimore and I suspect they can again. Remember Lamar is a second year player and might crack under the pressure. If given the opportunity I think the can go to New England and win there too.

I don't think they can beat Kansas City. They have too many options on offense, we can't rush the passer, and they can. The only wildcard would be if Reid chokes again. 

But if it makes you happy, everyone agrees Trent Murphy sucks.

People don’t say the Bills suck? Seriously? Read the game threads. Read the post loss threads. It’s overreaction upon overreaction. They explicitly say McD should be fired, Allen sucks, Beane hasn’t put together a decent team, O line sucks, Daboll should be fired, blah, blah, blah. 

Here’s reality: this is a team in the MIDDLE of a rebuild by competent people. An up and coming coach, an extremely solid FO and a very good core of young players. On top of that, the cap has been handled properly and that, amongst the other things, boded well for the future. 

The future is bright. Accept it! ? 

Edited by TroutDog

Can you imagine if this board existed back in 1985?  Heads would explode far more than they do today.  Incredible mental gymnastics in terms of Bruce Smith being worthy of his draft status but sorely not performing up to it.  We should have taken Ray Childress and I said so before the draft.  Should Hank Bullough (God rest his soul) be fired at halftime or why bother since nobody is coming here to replace him.  Ralph is out of touch and should sell the team.  This team will not make the SB in my lifetime.  A little over 20K attendance at Rich Stadium versus the Oiler's - This team is moving during the offseason.  You get the point.  The ability to go off of the deep end has not changed much since the advent of the internet.  Only the location has changed from the neighborhood bar to the den.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Since when is year 3 the "middle of a rebuild"? 

It certainly does look like the future is bright, but a lot can turn in one year. Next year hinges on Allen and the offense taking the next step..... hell forget next year, the playoffs hinge on Allen and the offense taking the next step and McDermott and Daboll not getting in the way. 

Thanks! I knew we could count on you to prove the point! 

We go thru “the drought”, then make the playoffs 2 of 3 years with the arrow pointing upwards. The Lombardi Trophy is promised to no one, but I like our odds a lot better than I did 3 years ago. That will have to suffice for now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No pash rush...get run all over...oline can’t block to save their lives...Cody Ford should be selling insurance...Edwards sucks...Milano sucks...Oliver is a bust...always getting out coached...and Josh Allen sucks so bad Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell feel sorry for you level suck...I could imagine what people would be like if we where 5-10 

Who is that? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Some people here are really into the specifics of the game. When you are analyzing every play, stats etc. there's always room for criticism. McDermott and those guys say it every week, every week they have work to do, every week they are trying to get better.

That's true but I don't *think* those are the posts the OP is speaking about.  I could be mistaken, of course.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

There isn't one person here who thought this team would be 10-5 going into their last game of the season.

In game though, the Bills have provided frustration this year as they haven't had a dominating performance from start to finish in any game.

But I think this team is pretty solid across the board and I hope they only continue to grow into that championship contender for many years to come.

Well that’s simply not true, and you could easily look back at season prediction threads to see for yourself how wrong you are. Many, many posters (and fans in general) genuinely saw a possible 9, 10, or 11 win team back in August.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A lot of stems with McD and Beane.   Some believe that Beane made some questionable decisions by shipping off Sammy, Dareus and the legendary JAG Jonathan Williams andwon’t own up that he ended up making the right decision.

A lot of it also has to do with Beane pulling the trigger for Josh Allen and won’t admit that it appears they chose the right Josh.

A lot of it has to do with McD’s coaching style and their perceived coaching style of being too conservative and his constant preaching of building a winning “culture” simply because they don’t understand that culture is a real thing and it matters.

Bottom line is that they are too invested in being right than simply recognizing the fact that both Beane and McD are well above average in what they do.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well that’s simply not true, and you could easily look back at season prediction threads to see for yourself how wrong you are. Many, many posters (and fans in general) genuinely saw a possible 9, 10, or 11 win team back in August.

I don't really know how many people actually thought the Bills were a playoff team on here.

I really didn't have a prediction for the season myself, because I am always wrong. ?

It really depends on any given result and one's perspective.

There are times you'd read the board and think the Bills are 5-10 and there are times you'd read the board and swear the Bills must be the number 1 seed in the AFC.

17 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Who is that? 

To be fair, Trent Edwards did indeed suck. 

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Can you imagine if this board existed back in 1985?  Heads would explode far more than they do today.  Incredible mental gymnastics in terms of Bruce Smith being worthy of his draft status but sorely not performing up to it.  We should have taken Ray Childress and I said so before the draft.  Should Hank Bullough (God rest his soul) be fired at halftime or why bother since nobody is coming here to replace him.  Ralph is out of touch and should sell the team.  This team will not make the SB in my lifetime.  A little over 20K attendance at Rich Stadium versus the Oiler's - This team is moving during the offseason.  You get the point.  The ability to go off of the deep end has not changed much since the advent of the internet.  Only the location has changed from the neighborhood bar to the den.

I actually have this thought a lot.  The 4 Superbowls caused people to forget, but there used to be this BBS called "GoBills.com" or something like that, and a print fan thing called "Shout!".  And as I recall, there was all sorts of stuff in there. 

When Kelly finally showed up in Buffalo in 1986, 3 years after we drafted him, people forget he did not immediately light the place on fire.  There were two games where the Bills scored in single digits that season... 12 losses.  Next season, 1987, after Levy took over, it was 7-8.  Kelly only played 12 games, but in those, he didn't break 200 yds 4x.  3 games with a passer rating <60.  Completion percentages of 42, 51, 53%!!!!!!!

Fans were antsy.  Knives were sharpened.   Pitchforks were ready and tar was warmed.  I mean, the guy was 3 years out of college at that point and had been playing professional ball!  It was his 2nd NFL season!  No Good!  Draft a QB! 

(I looked up the specifics, but Man! I remember the angst!)

• Like (+1) 1

During this season I've tracked Buffalo's strength of schedule (SoS) and strength of victories (SoV). Their SoS was the lowest in the NFL (.453) and SoV was ranked 27th in the NFL (.340).  The teams with a worse SoV were Tennessee, Oakland, Dallas, NY Giants, and Washington.  Contributing to these schedule ranks was Buffalo played 5 games against 4 of the worst 5 teams in the NFL.    

https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

Sure, the schedule is out of their control, but the overall board sentiment I'm seeing is fans are happy Buffalo made the playoffs.  At the same time, it's recognized this team has a lot of deficiencies which tend to show up against the better opponents.  The 10-5 record in year 3 of their rebuild should also be compared to the other teams since 2017.   

For example, Baltimore was 9-7 in 2017, 10-6 in 2018, changed QBs and is 12-3 now.  San Francisco was 6-10 in 2017, 4-12 in 2018 changed (or had an injury to their) QB, and is also 12-3 this season.  Green Bay was 7-9 in 2017, 6-9-1 in 2018, changed HC's after last year and is now 12-3.  

The playoffs will again provide Buffalo an opportunity to show where they are.  A win in the post-season demonstrates they're improving in year 3 of McBeane.  Not winning a playoff game after 3 seasons is underwhelming compared to other teams that have rebuilt.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't really know how many people actually thought the Bills were a playoff team on here.

I really didn't have a prediction for the season myself, because I am always wrong. ?

that’s cool, but they are out there. Some of them were probably just being optimistic, but others looked at the schedule closely and saw 10-11 wins. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cmon man. Nobody says this teams sucks. Many have opinions about certain players and coaches. I am pro Allen and anti-Edmunds.

Two wins over teams with barely winning records. Tennessee has since benched the QB Bills played against. Steelers started a guy named Duck and was still in the game to the last drive.  That said, Dallas had a winning record at the time and regardless is a very good win.

Bills are very good but not dominant on defense and average on offense and special teams. Add a weak schedule and you get 10-5.

It's just the reality. None of that means anything when the playoff game is played. They should match up well with Houston and have a good chance at a win.  They competed well with Baltimore and I suspect they can again. Remember Lamar is a second year player and might crack under the pressure. If given the opportunity I think the can go to New England and win there too.

I don't think they can beat Kansas City. They have too many options on offense, we can't rush the passer, and they can. The only wildcard would be if Reid chokes again. 

But if it makes you happy, everyone agrees Trent Murphy sucks.

My take is that 10-5 is about right.  We can think of a couple that got away but a football record is like my golf score:  I can start with some pars and a birdie, but those bogies will show up and my final score is about the same.  Score = Talent.   Also, past performance is the best predictor of future success.  We hope our Bills is the exception this year, but what I have seen this year would make more than 1 win a huge surprise.  Heck, the peanut gallery has always been with us.  During SB years callers on the radio were not always nice.  If Bruce didn’t get a couple of sacks, the naysayers got loud.   Jim, Thurmond and Andre were not immune to criticism either.  Sometimes we forget that the other team has great players too.  Go Bills!