Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion RIP (Bills WoF WR)

2Mv5wGR4_normal.jpg
Buffalo Bills

@BuffaloBills
· 5m
We express our deepest condolences to the family and friends of former Buffalo Bill Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion who passed this morning. Read more about our Wall of Fame wide receiver: http://bufbills.co/9MemUE
Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Sad 9

Dubenion had been battling the effects of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease for the last several years.

Well, in that case...thank God that's over.  

It's less a tragedy, dying from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, than it is living with it late-stage.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Well, in that case...thank God that's over.  

It's less a tragedy, dying from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, than it is living with it late-stage.

...sad to lose him, but I certainly agree.....we had a VP who was forced to retire at 55 due to onset of Alzheimers (signs were evident for 2 years)......now at age 59, he does not know any family members and needs 24/7/365 care.....he lost his mother to it and now his younger brother has been diagnosed......terrible quality of life............

• Like (+1) 1

RIP....He lived in same Cbus suburb as we do. Few years ago my father in law was in Panera or something wearing a Bills hat (in laws adopted the Bills when I came around) and Golden Wheels saw it and chatted him up about it. They BS’d for 5-10 min then went on their separate ways. FIL said he was a super nice guy. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I remember the reverence my Dad and his friends had for him. "Do you know who that is?! That's Golden Wheels Dubenion !!". Rest in peace Golden Wheels, you gave those fans plenty of joy. 

Edited by Guffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

R.I.P Golden Wheels

Fantastic video.  Golden Wheels was awesome as a player and a person.  He lived in Williamsville, a couple of streets over from us when I was a kid - we'd see him quite a lot and he always said hello to us - and I think he stayed in Buffalo after his playing career ended.  

Also, this video was apparently Joe Namath's first game as a professional - the narrator called him the "Jet's $400,000 quarterback...."  Too funny.  $400 G's is about what the rookie minimum is now, or maybe below it.  

• Like (+1) 1