Where were you during "wide right"?

class_of_2012

3 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Great, Super Bowl caliber story! 

LOL!  makes me think of my SB XXVI story.

Whoo Hoo!  We got two tickets to the Minneapolis game vs. the 'Skins through the season ticket holder lottery.   My uncle had been in Minneapolis over the summer and as a flyer, reserved a hotel room near the stadium on the if come.   So we had a real cheap place to stay, booked a real cheap flight on a private charter that opened up at the last minute from Buffalo to Madison, WI (Bob and Cindy Rich were on it) and rented a car to get the rest of the way there.   

Total cost for room and transportation for the whole week was about $500, so we lived it up and had a blast.  Minneapolis was a great host city and had a a really good setup.

The tickets were these huge things with holograms on them.    A co-worker had gone to the Giants game the year before and then had his tickets framed for his office wall, which I wanted to do as well.  So rather than folding them and putting them in my pocket, I gave them to the wife to put in her purse so they wouldn't get damaged.

We took the shuttle bus to the Metrodome and everyone piled off except my wife and these two dudes who crowded around her as she asked the driver "Where's the stadium?" Which was like saying "is water wet?" since we were parked right in front of it.   Turns out, the two guys picked her purse and got the tickets and her wallet, because when we got to the gate she goes, "do you have the tickets?"    

After many, many, many, many F-bombs and screeching at the sky standing in front of the stadium, we decide on a plan.  She runs off to report the theft to the police and I go looking for scalpers.    I eventually landed a pair of seats -- they turned out to be Miami Dolphin player tickets (each NFL player gets tickets to the game, per NFLPA rule) that were then re-sold back to a ticket broker.    I paid $400 for the pair which was about five time more than the originals. 

But **** it, there was no way I was going to miss the game.  The Football Gods just have to be on the side of the Bills after the way today was going down and the way they lost the year before.  Right?

It seemed so once we got inside.   We ended up with better seats than the Bills season ticket holders got (about the 40 yard line in the upper deck, rather than the end zone corner).  Great sightlines!   This is going to be good, even if most of the people we sat with were just there for the game and weren't rooting for either team.

Well, we had a good time for about five minutes.    The game was over by the middle of the second quarter and I had to sit there melting down with people who didn't care about the outcome either way.    

We got back to Buffalo without a hitch.   About two weeks later, the Minneapolis police called and said that someone had found my wife's wallet (absent the cash and credit cards) and they mailed it back to her.

That was my one and only Super Bowel (yes, that's the way I choose to remember it).    With each passing year, we laugh about it a little more and shake our heads at what could have been. 

And I've never given any kind of tickets (Bills, Sabres, concert, movie, airline) to my wife to hold ever since...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

Whoo Hoo!  We got two tickets to the Minneapolis game vs. the 'Skins through the season ticket holder lottery.   My uncle had been in Minneapolis over the summer and as a flyer, reserved a hotel room near the stadium on the if come.   So we had a real cheap place to stay, booked a real cheap flight on a private charter that opened up at the last minute from Buffalo to Madison, WI (Bob and Cindy Rich were on it) and rented a car to get the rest of the way there.   

Total cost for room and transportation for the whole week was about $500, so we lived it up and had a blast.  Minneapolis was a great host city and had a a really good setup.

The tickets were these huge things with holograms on them.    A co-worker had gone to the Giants game the year before and then had his tickets framed for his office wall, which I wanted to do as well.  So rather than folding them and putting them in my pocket, I gave them to the wife to put in her purse so they wouldn't get damaged.

We took the shuttle bus to the Metrodome and everyone piled off except my wife and these two dudes who crowded around her as she asked the driver "Where's the stadium?" Which was like saying "is water wet?" since we were parked right in front of it.   Turns out, the two guys picked her purse and got the tickets and her wallet, because when we got to the gate she goes, "do you have the tickets?"    

After many, many, many, many F-bombs and screeching at the sky standing in front of the stadium, we decide on a plan.  She runs off to report the theft to the police and I go looking for scalpers.    I eventually landed a pair of seats -- they turned out to be Miami Dolphin player tickets (each NFL player gets tickets to the game, per NFLPA rule) that were then re-sold back to a ticket broker.    I paid $400 for the pair which was about five time more than the originals. 

But **** it, there was no way I was going to miss the game.  The Football Gods just have to be on the side of the Bills after the way today was going down and the way they lost the year before.  Right?

It seemed so once we got inside.   We ended up with better seats than the Bills season ticket holders got (about the 40 yard line in the upper deck, rather than the end zone corner).  Great sightlines!   This is going to be good, even if most of the people we sat with were just there for the game and weren't rooting for either team.

Well, we had a good time for about five minutes.    The game was over by the middle of the second quarter and I had to sit there melting down with people who didn't care about the outcome either way.    

We got back to Buffalo without a hitch.   About two weeks later, the Minneapolis police called and said that someone had found my wife's wallet (absent the cash and credit cards) and they mailed it back to her.

That was my one and only Super Bowel (yes, that's the way I choose to remember it).    With each passing year, we laugh about it a little more and shake our heads at what could have been. 

And I've never given any kind of tickets (Bills, Sabres, concert, movie, airline) to my wife to hold ever since...

This reminds me of my trip to Tampa stadium for that first SB. When we got there we parked far away and took a bus to the stadium. While walking near the stadium entrance a young man with his wife was carrying one of their two children on his back piggy back style. As he got near the entrance he started getting hysterical. Put his daughter down and started saying to his wife loudly that he had lost the four SB tickets in his front shirt pocket. He then started running back the way they had come. Never did stick around to find out if he found them on the ground...

On another note, some jackass tried to bring a pistol into the stadium that day. 

Edited by Nihilarian

My mom’s small apartment ...  Kenville Rd?  My wife and our 18 month old and newborn.  Years later, life took me to Tampa.  I toured The Sombrero with a civic group.  At the end of the tour, I walked out to the 38 yard line, looked down at my right foot, and looked up ...  to the goal posts.

A lifetime is a million moments.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 3

I was heading upstairs  before the kick. I had a Giant's fan in my house and did not want to hear him since Norewood did not kick very well on grass I had a feeling he was going to miss. Little did we know at that time the nightmare was just starting!

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Here's the good news:  There were no holograms on the XXVI tickets (look at the ones you had that got you into the stadium), as there were on the XXV tickets.  So unless you had special tickets the tickets you lost weren't real.  

Like one of the other people in this thread, I thought Minnesota was great.  Minneapolis & St. Paul turned the cities over to the Super Bowl fans.  There was no need to even rent a car with the shuttle buses going into both Minneapolis & St Paul, opening the HHH dome for fans on Saturday to get around the stadium & get souvenirs that I didn't have to carry with me on gameday, the ice palace in St Paul, NFL Experience in downtown Minneapolis, shuttle buses to the game from the motels, etc.  Best of the 4 Bills Super Bowl cities.    

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's the good news:  There were no holograms on the XXVI tickets (look at the ones you had that got you into the stadium), as there were on the XXV tickets. 

Wow!   That's right.  I remember now that I was pissed they didn't look as good as the year before, since I really wanted to frame them.    The fog of time fills in some interesting blanks as the years go by.   :wallbash:

But I do remember they were huge and wouldn't fit in my wallet without folding them.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have given them to wifey.    Sigh...

28 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's the good news:  There were no holograms on the XXVI tickets (look at the ones you had that got you into the stadium), as there were on the XXV tickets.  So unless you had special tickets the tickets you lost weren't real.  

Like one of the other people in this thread, I thought Minnesota was great.  Minneapolis & St. Paul turned the cities over to the Super Bowl fans.  There was no need to even rent a car with the shuttle buses going into both Minneapolis & St Paul, opening the HHH dome for fans on Saturday to get around the stadium & get souvenirs that I didn't have to carry with me on gameday, the ice palace in St Paul, NFL Experience in downtown Minneapolis, shuttle buses to the game from the motels, etc.  Best of the 4 Bills Super Bowl cities.    

I went to Minneapolis, too.  What a gracious city.  I remember Saturday night.  We partied at a “Bills” bar, stayed late, then trotted to a shuttle stop.  Imagine our condition.  A woman volunteer approached, asked some questions, and told us we’d missed the last shuttle.  We looked around, silently, in those pre-Uber days.   She talk out her walkie-talkie, strolled around for a few minutes, and said “I’ve got one coming”.  A few minutes later, a big shuttle bus pulled up and the four of us climbed aboard for a private twenty minute bus ride to our hotel.

I was with people in the living room of our house in Hilton Head. A bunch of people, including a female coworker from my wife’s office. She arrived saying “who is everyone cheering for?” When my wife explained things to her she said “who’s the other team? I want them!”  I knew we would have troubles right then and there.  

I spent the rest of the night trying NOT to do anything that would have called me into the commissioners office. She was actually about my size (and I’m not tiny), but I don’t think that would give me a pass with the Commissioner, or the Big Boss in the sky. 

Gathered around the TV in California with family and with a six month old on my knee, until I went down to my own knees for the kick! That kid’s now 29 with a toddler of her own....and so goes the circle of life. (And as others have said I really wasn’t crushed by the miss. I just KNEW it was the beginning, not the end, of something big.)

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Worst part, it was a “Yeeeeee....No, Nope.”

the weird part was i had this sinking feeling he was going to miss it, and it wasnt some Bills doom and gloom nonsense as i expected to fully win that game, just something told me he wasn't going to make it . I was so mad when he missed i wanted to destroy something but i held it together because i wasn't going to be that guy with no self control.

9 hours ago, class_of_2012 said:

For me, I was working as a student employee at the dining hall at the University of Rochester. They had the game on a big screen TV there, but I couldn't really watch since I was cleaning tables. I did take a few seconds to watch when Norwood made the attempt. I would have celebrated big time that night, but it wasn't to be.

Funny. Your experience is simular to mind except I was working at a McDonald's in Lewisville TX. I was not a Buffalo fan yet but I also worked at Xerox so I knew a lot of people that were so was rooting for Buffalo. We didn't have a TV though so I would ask people if they had a score.  Thought Buffalo was going to win.

I can remember waking up the next day, asking my parents if we won the superbowl. I dont think i was able to stay up for the whole thing, until it was 49ers vs. chargers. The only routing interest i had, was that the 49ers would score 49 points. I won.

• Awesome! (+1) 1