Where were you during "wide right"?

class_of_2012

I was in the end zone where the kick was headed to.  Sec FF Aisle 62 Row 44 Seat 16.  What was interesting about my seat was that I was either the last or one of the last of the Bills fans in my row on the left side of the row who had bought the Disney package.  To my right were the Giants fans who had bought the Giants travel agent package.  We all got along well, probably because of the combination of the war and the fact it was a tight game compared to what at the time were typical Super Bowl blowouts.   I was never a Norwood fan and after he missed the kick I turned to the Bills fan next to me & said "Maybe they'll have the guts to cut him now"  

Here's an interesting story about the tickets that year.  For Super Bowl XXV, the NFL decided to scalp the tickets themselves.  They took tickets out of each team's allotments that would go to the lottery winning season ticket holders and assigned them to NFL hand picked travel agents.  For the Bills that agent was Disney travel.  The Giants had an agent too, I don't remember who it was.  Originally, the tickets were supposed to be an option to season ticket holders who lost the ticket lottery.  I had split seasons with a friend that year & had to  use the account in his name to buy my Disney package, although I was able to buy it in my own name.  Eventually, the season ticket holders willing to pay a minimum of $1,165 for a ($150 base price) ticket, a few souvenirs & lodging ran out & the remaining tickets were available to the general public.  There was a higher priced package that included a flight out of Buffalo, but I chose the no-flight package. While the winners of the team lottery could pick their tickets up at Rich stadium on Monday, those of us who bought the Disney package had to go to The Aud on Tuesday morning to pick up our tickets.  After I got my ticket I drove home to Albany and I must have stopped at every Thruway rest stop where I would go into a bathroom stall and stare at my Super Bowl ticket before going back on the road. 

Overall, there was such a backlash to the NFL scalping their tickets through travel agents that they stopped doing this after Super Bowl XXV.  

One of the reasons that I didn't buy the package that included the flight was that the flights were out of Buffalo & I wanted to fly out of Albany.  Originally, I had booked a flight with Eastern Airlines to a city near Tampa at a low price that I didn't have to pay for in advance.  I was leaving for Buffalo on Saturday before the AFC championship game.  At 9PM Friday night I turned on Larry King on CNN and he opens his show that Eastern Airlines just went out of business.  I then went scrambling on the phone & booked a super saver flight round trip to Orlando on Delta.  The only problem was I had to pay them by the next day.  Before going to Buffalo I had to go to the Albany airport & buy a non-refundable flight on Delta.  Basically, I was betting the $158 I paid for the flight that the Bills would beat the Raiders on Sunday. 

There were a lot of question marks going into the game.  There were rumors throughout the week that the game might be postponed due to the war.  To someone like me that was torture since I had scrambled to come up with enough money to pay for the Disney package, the flight to Orlando, 2 motel nights in Orlando outside my travel package, and a rental car (I was eating at places like McDonalds that weekend).  If the game wasn't played as scheduled I was screwed.  Fortunately, they played the game on schedule.  Otherwise my only other option would have been to ask my friend who still owed me the failed season ticket lottery money refund to wire me the money if I got stuck in Florida longer than originally planned.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, class_of_2012 said:

The Bills were 7-1 vs. the NFC East in the SB years in the regular season. They only lost to Washington in the last week of the 1990 season in a meaningless game, to finish 13-3. The Bills owned the NFC East during those years.

The reason I hate the NFC East is our Super Bowl Losses were:

Giants

Skins

Boys

Boys

Dream scenario: Bills vs Eagles in this year's Super Bowl and we FINALLY win it, against an NFC East team.

One can hope.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I was putting on my coat, leaving the Superbowl Party, telling everyone "He's not gonna make it; Norwood's money inside the 40, but 46 on grass?  No chance."

Funny. Everyone knew that, even the Announcers before the kick, yet Jimbo did not lead that last exciting charge up the field, just prior to the 2 minute Warning, with THAT same knowledge and urgency!

All 75,000 were on their feet watching the entire play sequence, I can assure you! 

I know I was.

13 years, in my family's living room, watching from the doorway.  My Initial thought before the kick was we got it...when it went right I went into the basement and started lifting weights like a crazed man/child...Christmas that year I asked for a weight set and I got it.  It might have been the best workout I ever did.

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

I didn’t feel sorry for him, I felt bad for the team and us fans. 

If only we had gotten Christie sooner.  If only...

they could have blindfolded Christie and spun him around 12 times and he would have made that kick.... 2 years too late

————-

after the game the crew from channel 7 were sitting on high barstools taking fan calls and one said “the Bills didn’t deserve it anyway” and Irv and two sports dudes sat in stunned silence for 10 seconds

also Leon Seals states he wanted the hell out of Buffalo a few times in the locker room to the press, they kept him to start another season 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I was in the end zone where the kick was headed to.  Sec FF Aisle 62 Row 44 Seat 16.  What was interesting about my seat was that I was either the last or one of the last of the Bills fans in my row on the left side of the row who had bought the Disney package.  To my right were the Giants fans who had bought the Giants travel agent package.  We all got along well, probably because of the combination of the war and the fact it was a tight game compared to what at the time were typical Super Bowl blowouts.   I was never a Norwood fan and after he missed the kick I turned to the Bills fan next to me & said "Maybe they'll have the guts to cut him now"  

Here's an interesting story about the tickets that year.  For Super Bowl XXV, the NFL decided to scalp the tickets themselves.  They took tickets out of each team's allotments that would go to the lottery winning season ticket holders and assigned them to NFL hand picked travel agents.  For the Bills that agent was Disney travel.  The Giants had an agent too, I don't remember who it was.  Originally, the tickets were supposed to be an option to season ticket holders who lost the ticket lottery.  I had split seasons with a friend that year & had to  use the account in his name to buy my Disney package, although I was able to buy it in my own name.  Eventually, the season ticket holders willing to pay a minimum of $1,165 for a ($150 base price) ticket, a few souvenirs & lodging ran out & the remaining tickets were available to the general public.  There was a higher priced package that included a flight out of Buffalo, but I chose the no-flight package. While the winners of the team lottery could pick their tickets up at Rich stadium on Monday, those of us who bought the Disney package had to go to The Aud on Tuesday morning to pick up our tickets.  After I got my ticket I drove home to Albany and I must have stopped at every Thruway rest stop where I would go into a bathroom stall and stare at my Super Bowl ticket before going back on the road. 

Overall, there was such a backlash to the NFL scalping their tickets through travel agents that they stopped doing this after Super Bowl XXV.  

One of the reasons that I didn't buy the package that included the flight was that the flights were out of Buffalo & I wanted to fly out of Albany.  Originally, I had booked a flight with Eastern Airlines to a city near Tampa at a low price that I didn't have to pay for in advance.  I was leaving for Buffalo on Saturday before the AFC championship game.  At 9PM Friday night I turned on Larry King on CNN and he opens his show that Eastern Airlines just went out of business.  I then went scrambling on the phone & booked a super saver flight round trip to Orlando on Delta.  The only problem was I had to pay them by the next day.  Before going to Buffalo I had to go to the Albany airport & buy a non-refundable flight on Delta.  Basically, I was betting the $158 I paid for the flight that the Bills would beat the Raiders on Sunday. 

There were a lot of question marks going into the game.  There were rumors throughout the week that the game might be postponed due to the war.  To someone like me that was torture since I had scrambled to come up with enough money to pay for the Disney package, the flight to Orlando, 2 motel nights in Orlando outside my travel package, and a rental car (I was eating at places like McDonalds that weekend).  If the game wasn't played as scheduled I was screwed.  Fortunately, they played the game on schedule.  Otherwise my only other option would have been to ask my friend who still owed me the failed season ticket lottery money refund to wire me the money if I got stuck in Florida longer than originally planned.  

Great, Super Bowl caliber story! 

Here’s mine. My group and I acquired 8 Season Tix in the upper bowl, in 1989- so we were shortly rewarded. Being new to the Season Tix  deal, when asked by a partner about contributing the special, additional levee to the SB tix option- I whiffed. ? Hey... Bills in the Super Bowl? That can’t happen. So difficult. 

As you must know, the Lottery was based on a 50% max. Yep, we won the 4 tickets. Attended the Raiders dismantling the day before the day before and then, was sitting in my cups, on Monday at work.

Steaming, that I was gonna miss the first ever, SB with the Bills. Phoned one of the winning Tick holders, who suggested...” why don’t you come anyway?” So, no flight, no accommodation, no rental car, no SB ticket... on Tuesday I did just that. My buddies were in Ft. Myers (no flights available), so into Lauderdale I went on the Wednesday. 

Boom... across Alligator Alley to meet up. But, NO! This was before Cells & I-Net and I didn’t have the address down properly. So, spent the next day on the Beach, shooting the breeze with Snowbirds! ?? Hey, it is Florida and it was January! That night, I thought I remembered some of the other guys were arriving at night in Lauderdale. After dinner at Hooters, back in the car... boom across AA again, where I arrived in perfect timing to meet them all, sunburned as I was. Followed by 2 more memorable days, playing football on the Beach at a Condo they’d rented and heading out to the racetrack and various bars!

Still no ticket, I had my wife link up with her Manhattan Lawyer cuz, his son being a ticket broker and both Giant fans. Sunday morning at 6:00a.m. ,in the dark, off went our wee caravan again... for 4+ hours to Tampa. Yep... we were flying. Arrived about noon on SB day, to my wife’s cuz hotel and finally met up with his son. Acquired this precious ticket...for $500! Aaaand... like the crazed fan I was, bet $1000 on the Bills -7.5, with my cuz! ?

All 8 of us, partied all day in a Tampa supermarket parking lot and walked about a 1/2 mile to the Stadium. I was so awestruck by my first SB, didn’t have ONE drink during the entire game. Whitney Houston gave her memorable SB SSB,the flypast and then that memorable game.

Except for the finale. ( I had a prior bet in Vegas @3-1 on $100, if Norwood simply hoofed it through! Most peeps blame Norwood for the win, but my posse & I criticize Reed, who became invisible for 2 Quarters and dropped critical passes that could have extended the K Gun into TDs and crushed the Giants! The D would have rested and also, if Bruuuuce could have ripped the ball away from Hostetler for a TD and not Safety, that was +12 and that game was over! No way, Hostetler passes the Giants to behind 2 scores.

Ah well.

0D10EAB6-BDFD-42B1-82EC-3998A3B1CACB.jpeg

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In my bed with my head under the pillow crying before he even kicked it.  

I stand by my belief that we should’ve attempted a quick out for 5ish yards.  I was screaming at the tv for one more play and ran into my room when I saw Norwood trot onto the field.  I knew he missed when I heard my dad erupt fury in the living room

• Like (+1) 1

I had recently moved into my girlfriend's house and we watching it in our living room. I remember falling to my knees as the kick went right. I told her he would likely miss it because he hadn't made a kick over 40 yards on grass all season. My fault? ?

I watched the next one with her family and decided it wasn't my fault. It was hers. ?

So, we broke up. Watched the next one from a bar at Club Med in Turks and Caicos sans girlfriend. Didn't help. ?

Watched the last one with another girlfriend. Decided it wasn't her fault and married her. The Bills never lost another Super Bowl. Our 24th Anniversary is in May. I hope we never lose a Super Bowl as I can't afford the alimony. ?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My sister rented a cabin at Chestnut Ridge park. Friends and family were sledding and we had a pot luck buffet set up. Someone brought their massive TV and set it up on a picnic table and we had a fire going in the fireplace. Perfect setting until...

• Like (+1) 1