Where were you during "wide right"?

class_of_2012

10 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

For the record, I am sitting here flipping you off for even asking this question.  It haunts me enough without seeing new threads pop up about it. Opposing teams troll us with “wide right” I don’t need to read about it here too.  

So, this is no time to bring up ‘you know what’ in the Music City?

I was in 2nd year university and watched the game at my apartment  on my HUGE 19" TV with my disinterested GF and her even more disinterested visiting little sister and rotund boyfriend.  They played cards throughout.  The whole game I was losing my mind at how bad the Bills were playing. I swore, I shouted , I slammed my hands on anything close by, I paced the room like a caged animal. I started to get hope when they came around in the 2nd half. I thought for sure on the final drive that they would score a TD and was shocked that the drive ran out of gas and time when it did. When the kick sailed wide, for what seemed like an eternity I froze in horror then crumpled to the floor in disbelief. Hoping I would hear that there was a flag or something on the Giants. But it was not to be.   I can still remember the other people in the room looking at me strangely, like "why is he so upset".  They had absolutely no idea of the utter devastation of the moment for me. Even now so many years later it ranks as one of the worst moments of my life. I always wonder, how would life have been different had that kick been good. I know that might seem like a  ridiculous statement as its just a game etc but I still wonder about that!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So, this is no time to bring up ‘you know what’ in the Music City?

The phone rang in another room and I saw the toss and figured it was a forward pass, so I put it on mute and answered the phone thinking the Bills won

golly gee willikers did I get a surprise when I got back to the TV ten minutes later

The one game this year it was on radio at the office and Hughes ran in for the clinching TD and I turned it off and found out they’d lost 3 hours later

Bills should pay me to watch to the bitter end

• Haha (+1) 1

I was in Davie Fl. my brother & i played in a band on the road mostly & we were playing a country club, the DJ was a guy by the name of Ed he was a huge Giants fan & invited us to his place for the game so my brother & i went to his apartment all decked out in our Bills gear, shirts, sweat pants hell we even had Bills socks ! We all gathered around his 24" TV in the living room to watch !! 

The game was awesome as we all know up until the Bills D gave up those few game changing tackles that would have made a huge difference & then calling for a kick from Norwood that was out side his range . 

Needless to say Ed in true New Yorker fashion busted our balls the entire next week at the club every chance he had, he would even introduce us as Bills fans during that week & there was a lot more alcohol drank that week if i remember correctly ?

The next day after the game Ed asked if i had heard about the Bills kicker trying to commit suicide,  i said after a few expletives No & he got me to go with it, he said yah he tried to but he couldn't kick the chair out from underneath him & then in true Bills fan fashion i cussed him some more !! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I was a schoolboy in Soviet Union in 1991and knew nothing about American football and Bills team. I heard about Buffalo only due to Mogilny ran away to Sabres and it was a huge scandal in Soviet sports. 

Alexander Mogilny...a great Buffalo Sabres player!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

South Buffalo, watching with my parents. I remember being nervous before the attempt as a 47 yarder was no gimmie back then, especially since Norwood's career long was 49 yards. Once the kick went wide right, you could hear a pin drop in our house as we were all stunned that the Bills just lost the game.

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

South Buffalo, watching with my parents. I remember being nervous before the attempt as a 47 yarder was no gimmie back then, especially since Norwood's career long was 49 yards. Once the kick went wide right, you could hear a pin drop in our house as we were all stunned that the Bills just lost the game.

and then....

I was watching the game in Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap on 55th street in Chicago, where I had just moved to start grad school. Went through two pitchers of Old Style and a pack of Marlboro Reds. When the kick sailed wide, I tottered to the pay phone (kids, ask your parents!) and called home. My 15 year old sister answered in tears, and managed to gasp out, "nothing to be ashamed of" before handing the phone to my Dad. 

3 hours ago, Ra-cha-cha said:

In my friend's basement 'man cave'.  We all held onto my whammy weenie and stared at the screen.  I guess the whammy weenie didn't work.

Image result for whammy weenie buffalo bills

Hey, we all have our superstitions, but this is TMI.  

I was at home, pacing in the living room, watching the 4th quarter.  As soon as Norwood missed the kick, I fell back onto the couch ....I was devastated, to say the least.

On 12/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, row_33 said:

how’d you score those seats 

Seat, singular.  I was living in San Antonio at the time and watched the AFC championship against the Raiders on tv with my brother and girlfriend, telling them before kickoff that if we win, I'm going to the Super Bowl.  AFAIK it was the first and only time the Super Bowl was the very next weekend.  I had no ticket but my girlfriend and I drove all day Wednesday from SA to Tampa where she had an aunt and uncle we could stay with. For the next several days I was all over town, asking pretty much everyone how I could score two tickets.  I attended events that had drawings for tickets, etc. but no luck.  The day of the game we drove down to the big sombrero about 4 hours before kickoff with lots of cash in my pocket.  A couple miles outside the stadium we were already passing people holding "need ticket" signs and we hadn't even thought about making one.  We asked a vendor for an empty 12-pack carton and made our own crappy sign, then wandered around the stadium asking people if they had two tickets to sell.  We had to be careful because the Tampa PD made it well known that not only were they busting scalpers, but also anyone attempting to buy a scalped ticket.  I actually witnessed an undercover cop do exactly that.  Eventually we ran into a guy selling upper deck corner seats for $1200 each.  That was really extreme for 1991 and I couldn't haggle him down so I passed.  After some more time passed some guy who saw our crappy "need tickets' sign offered us is nicer sign because he just scored tickets and didn't need it anymore.  Now armed with two signs, we decided to split up to cover more ground and meet back at a certain spot every 30 minutes.  We did that at least a few times with neither of us having any luck.  Then, after moving a couple streets farther away, walking by myself and close to giving up about an hour before kickoff, I thought I heard a guy I just passed say he had a ticket.  So I stopped and asked if he just said what I think he did and he said yes.  I asked him if he was a cop and he said no.  I asked why he was selling it and he said something about having a business relationship with Miller Brewing who gave him two tickets and his wife didn't want to go, so he already sold one and just had the one left.  We moved more out of sight between some parked cars and I asked to see it.  He showed it to me and it was legit since it had the hologram on it.  I asked how much and he said $500.  I asked where's the seat (not that it mattered at this point) and he said he honestly didn't know.  I had come prepared with a map of the big sombrero seating chart torn from the yellow pages and my jaw dropped when I saw what a great seat it was.  Paid him $500 cash and met back up with my girlfriend and said I had good news and bad news.  She totally understood (she's not from WNY but super supportive) and said it's fine, she'd go watch the game at her aunt and uncle's house and come back and pick me up after the game.  As a side note, I ended up marrying her and we're coming up on our 30th anniversary.   Funny thing was my seat was on the Giant's side of the field and other than one couple who were sympathetic 49's fans, I was surrounded by Giants fans giving me grief all game.  Also, it turned out MC Hammer and his entourage were sitting a few rows behind me, and Jeff Hostettler's wife was two rows right in front of me.  As soon as the game was over a TV crew came into the stands to interview her and I can be seen in the background on TV (still have it on a VHS recording) in my Bills regalia and my Alice Cooper eye paint a la Ray Bentley.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1