Where were you during "wide right"?

class_of_2012

Holding hands in my living room with ten members of family praying for the win. Right after the missed kicked I remember my dad running to the bathroom and puking for about 30 minutes. I was 9 and didn’t read into too much, just thought it was weird and gross, and he was being dramatic.

Twenty five years later my dad finally came clean and told me he bet $10,000, our entire savings, on the Bills to win. Idiot.

Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Watching it with a few buddies all of whom were rooting against the Bills (disgruntled 49er and Dolphin fans)  Needless to say I didnt get much sympathy It didn;t seem that big of a deal to lose that one but each year after that got tougher and tougher to take Who was to know the cluster bomb that the next 20+ years would bring

• Thank you (+1) 1

I travelled back to the Buffalo area to watch the game at my mother’s home. My childhood buddy and his wife were there with me. When the kick left Norwood’s foot, I jumped in the air and when I saw it going wide, I swung my fist and lost my balance in mid air....and landed directly on my back.

My buddy, his wife and I then went to a neighborhood bar. The bar was full....and it was practically silent. It was as gloomy.

I talked to another buddy a couple weeks later and we were talking about the Norwood miss and how the fans at Niagara Square cheered for him. My friend told me those same fans would be bitter towards Norwood if the Bills didn’t win a SB soon. He wasn’t completely right but I think there are more fans that are bitter about Norwood than we know because you are looked at as a rotten person if you are bitter.

Me? I’m good with Norwood.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Went to a party for the first half. Spent the second half at the now closed Mexican Joe's in Amherst.  Not too many people there. Kick went up and it looked like it was hooking in only to veer sideways.  I fell into the cigarette machine.  Walked home a mile in a snowstorm.  I only had three drinks but I slept for 12 hours.  That game took a piece of my soul.

• Sad 1

I was living out of the area. So went to a bar with about ten people. None of whom were Bills fans. We got to the bar a few hour before kickoff. Big mistake!! By halftime there were way too many drinks served and most of the people started rooting for the Giants just to piss me off....bleck!! So my wife and I left and watched most of the 2nd half at home. I stood up and began to walk away upon the start of the kick, although I watched it go wide, because I knew he would miss. Norwood had a weakness on grass fields at distance and he proved it again. 

I was at home (Lower West Side) watching the game.  I was 13 going on 14 years old.  My family and I were holding hands basically praying for him to make it.  Once he missed it, I looked outside.  It was quiet.  I went to my room and cried alone so no one would see me.  The only game I have ever cried over.  I felt like I was part of the team.  That's when i knew I was a die-hard fan and that I have the curse of Buffalo Bill fandom.  To this day, I love the Bills.  Win, Lose, Tie.  I'd have it no other way. 

Edited by Big Curt
misspelling
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was in a tent in the Arabian desert. My unit was from Fort Monmouth, NJ, so we had a LOT of Giants fans. I was one of 2 Buffalo natives in my company.

When there was an update on TV about a SCUD missile attack near us, our company commander came in, demanding we change the channel DURING THE SUPER BOWL, so we could watch CNN's updates about missiles. (Side note: I was in a HUMINT Military Intelligence Battalion.)

I was the only sergeant with the cojones to say something. I pointed out that an MI unit shouldn't be relying on CNN for intel, but my First Sergeant grabbed me and dragged me out of the tent, probably preventing an article 15. (The interuption only lasted a few minutes of game time, fortunately.)

After the missed kick, I walked out of the tent and watched the saddest sunrise ever. Due to the time zone difference, we had stayed up almost all night watching the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, class_of_2012 said:

Wide right during the Super Bowl XXV in January 1991 is kind of like the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, the assassination attempt of Reagan, or the Challenger explosion: everyone remembers where they were when it happened.

For me, I was working as a student employee at the dining hall at the University of Rochester. They had the game on a big screen TV there, but I couldn't really watch since I was cleaning tables. I did take a few seconds to watch when Norwood made the attempt. I would have celebrated big time that night, but it wasn't to be.

So where were you: at home, at school, at a bar, at a friend or relative's house??

at Tampa stadium

Came home from grad school in Oswego back to Buffalo to watch it at a family party.  Nobody else I would rather watch it with.  The silence after the miss is something can only be compared to walking out of the stadium from the Jags WC loss in '96.  I was more angry at the Bills for putting the game in a kickers hands.  I had no doubt they'd have another crack at it though.

The Music City Miracle was tougher to deal with because we went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.  Effin special teams.  Even though it wasn't a Super Bowl you could just feel that it was the end of an era.

I was there.  Same side of the field, but opposite side of the stadium, and I swear to you for an instant I thought it was good and the refs were stepping forward to raise their hands up.

bruce Hornsby (wow, some of you just don’t know) was a couple of rows back and one section over, closer to the opposite side end zone.

...I love that I had better seats than him. 

I was sitting in the stadium with my wife, surrounded by Giants fans.  Our view was straight down the back line of the endzone, so we could see essentially only the left upright.  Norwood kicked it, I watched it cross over the back end of the goal line, high enough, but I couldn't tell if it was in or not.   So I looked back at the line of scrimmage to see which players were celebrating.  

Lots of emotions. 

• Sad 1