Where were you during "wide right"?

class_of_2012

Wide right during the Super Bowl XXV in January 1991 is kind of like the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, the assassination attempt of Reagan, or the Challenger explosion: everyone remembers where they were when it happened.

For me, I was working as a student employee at the dining hall at the University of Rochester. They had the game on a big screen TV there, but I couldn't really watch since I was cleaning tables. I did take a few seconds to watch when Norwood made the attempt. I would have celebrated big time that night, but it wasn't to be.

So where were you: at home, at school, at a bar, at a friend or relative's house??

Edited by class_of_2012

I was standing in my Father-In-Laws living room downstate. He was a Die Hard Giants fan. When Norwide missed the kick, I put a hole in his living room wall. He eventually put a frame around the hole and a small plaque that said" My pain in the Ass Son in Law after his Bills lost the Superbowl".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Returntoglory said:

I was standing in my Father-In-Laws living room downstate. He was a Die Hard Giants fan. When Norwide missed the kick, I put a hole in his living room wall. He eventually put a frame around the hole and a small plaque that said" My pain in the Ass Son in Law after his Bills lost the Superbowl".

Wow... that is good he didn't go ballistic when you made the hole, and took it all in stride.

• Like (+1) 1

Thinking the whole time we had to wait for the snap that there was no way he was gonna make it

Wondering who that squat young DC was who had stolen a SB from the Bills

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

A missed FG reminds you of Presidential Assassinations? WOW!?

I remember the events of both attempts on Ford, they interrupted Commander Tom

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I was at the Stadium in Tampa surrounded by NY Giant fans. ?

At least you were there, but Giant fans are very arrogant. I had to deal with a lot of students from NYC while at the University of Rochester. People from that atra loved sending their kids to a private upstate NY university. The students from there even wanted to watch the CBS (NFC) pre-game show (Greg Gumbel) instead of the NBC one, which was preferred by Bills fans (Bob Costas!!). We told them Rochester was Bills territory.

Also, Thurman had written "Tampa" on his cleats at the beginning of the season, to signify that was the team goal.

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

A missed FG reminds you of Presidential Assassinations? WOW!?

Doesn't remind me of them, but all Bills fans know where they were during wide right. That was my point.

Edited by class_of_2012

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Thinking the whole time we had to wait for the snap that there was no way he was gonna make it

Wondering who that squat young DC was who had stolen a SB from the Bills

I remember the events of both attempts on Ford

I also was thinking Norwood wouldn't make it. Anything over 40-45 yards for him was difficult.

I also didn't realize there were attempts on Ford's life. I was too young at the time.

In my house in South Buffalo, watching the game with my friends. I remember going outside after the kick was missed and noticing how eerily dead silent the neighborhood was

Edited by BfloBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

Me and my wife were at our house (west side) with a bottle of champagne ready to be popped, along with the biggest doobie I could roll. When the kick was missed, we immediately looked at each other and said "we'll be back". We ended up going outside and hanging out with what seemed to be the whole neighborhood, partying til 3 am. Everyone out there had the same mindset of "we'll be back next year". Little did we know... 

Yes, the bottle of champagne was popped and the doobie was shared. Thinking back, it was actually a good night.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Me and my wife were at our house with a bottle of champagne ready to be popped, along with the biggest doobie I could roll. When the kick was missed, we immediately looked at each other and said "we'll be back". We ended up going outside and hanging out with what seemed to be the whole neighborhood, partying til 3 am. Everyone out there had the same mindset of "we'll be back next year". Little did we know... 

Yes, the bottle of champagne was popped and the doobie was shared. Thinking back, it was actually a good night.

This was the best SB for the Bills; the others left me very depressed. Although I was thrilled at half-time in SB XXVIII when the Bills led Dallas.