Great video analysis of Josh v. The Ravens

BisonMan

Josh isn't perfect but most if not all 2nd year QBS aren't. Heck Brady was atrocious against the Ravens. 

We need to stop criticizing Josh so much for his bad plays but praise him for the good ones he does make. 

Kid is a baller and our franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, DJB said:

Josh isn't perfect but most if not all 2nd year QBS aren't. Heck Brady was atrocious against the Ravens. 

We need to stop criticizing Josh so much for his bad plays but praise him for the good ones he does make. 

Are you a Josh Allen fan or a fan of the Buffalo Bills?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

I like how he analyzes failed plays. He’s not a Bills homer.

I think @Scorp83 posted this when it first came out, but it's way off the top few pages on the board now and really worth a look so good on ya

I've subscribed to this guy.

He sees stuff a bunch of detail that 'rings true' that some of the "all 22" assessments that guys who actually haven't played or coached miss.  Not to say he's gonna be always right but he's def. worth a read.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, DJB said:

True.  Why was Brady atrocious?  In part because the Ravens D made him so.

This context gets missed.  The Pats D has been averaging 12-13 points per game allowed.  Now I grant that's a bit skewed by them skunking the Jets and Dolphins and limiting the Steelers to 3 and the Redskins to 7, but the point is: the only offenses that have scored more than 17 points against them this year were the Ravens, KC, and Houston.  The "streaking" Danny Dimes scored 14 and threw for 161 yds and 3 picks.

Did Josh leave opportunities on the table in the games we've lost (heck, in the games we've won) Yes.  But he's doing all right for an "athlete playing QB" as some have called him.

Um, No?  He makes bad plays & leaves makeable plays on the field, he opens himself for criticism.  Fair. 

The thing is, some people tend to be highly polarized and over the top, which is getting a bit wearying.  But just as "all that is gold does not glitter", all who criticize are not "Haters"

Kid is a baller no doubt, but no - he's not shown that he's our franchise QB yet. 

He needs to show more consistency and take a step.  He knows it.  The Bills know it.

I have way more confidence that he CAN take that step after what I've seen this season - but he's gotta do it.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Great video.  The game is much more complicated than the average fan can understand. 

That's what I like most about this guy's analysis. While watching one of the plays where Josh bailed from the pocket, I was thinking to myself that he panicked. As that thought bubble was leaving my head the guy immediately tells me why bailing was the right move that the average viewer wouldn't understand. That's next level mind reading...and great analysis you don't see on TV. I especially liked the reaming he gave Smoke Brown for a terrible route on the last play of the Raven's game that could have tied the game.

Also, I watched the Monday night game between the Packers and Vikings and specifically watched the QB's passes and imagined it was Josh each time. There were a number of pretty terrible throws by both QBs that missed open receivers by a wide margin. Josh makes those throws and they're on the next day's highlight (er...lowlight) reel. I agree that both Rogers and Cousins have earned more leeway in their play given their success but the "narrative" for Josh won't change until he's holding up the Lombardi Trophy next year. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

There is a difference between analysis and criticism. Josh has to make that throw to Knox in the endzone on second and goal. It is a throw that needs to be completed more than 90% of the time. Knox was wide open by NFL standards. At the same time there are maybe 10 other QBs in the league that make the throw to Knox right before the half and probably less than 5 that can make the off the back foot throw to Brown for a 53 yard TD. 
Turnovers are down. That is the most important issue in year two. Now he just needs to make a couple more routine plays a game that will extend drives and put the offense in easier situations. The hero moments will continue to be made either running or throwing.

Lastly I hope McD doesn’t scare the kid into playing too conservatively on the road in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is a difference between analysis and criticism. Josh has to make that throw to Knox in the endzone on second and goal. It is a throw that needs to be completed more than 90% of the time. Knox was wide open by NFL standards.

OK, I agree with that.  I can point out that Josh didn't use his mobility to best give himself a bit more time to set and make a good throw.  I don't know exactly how Knox was supposed to run that route, bear in mind.

Now what play did we call on 1st and goal?

And how did the result of that play impact Josh's ability, potentially speaking and practically speaking, to make that throw to Knox?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

cut the crusade dude, Josh is the Buffalo Bills franchise QB and if you dont like it you can go root for the Patriots like you usually do.

Complete nonsense.

Josh has a LOT of work to do to get to that level. He's still very much a raw project. Every single person here wants him to succeed, it's just that we may be divided on how close he is to that goal and/or how likely it is that he'll reach it. His decision making, processing speed, and accuracy still  isn't good enough, especially when he needs to make a play. He's doing a better job than he did last year, but he needs to be twice as good by the end of next season, or I'll be wanting serious competition. 

You can't win a lot of games in this league against top teams if you can't get rid of the ball quickly and hit vertical routes down the field. Good Defenses can make this team one dimensional right now to force Josh  to attempt plays he's had a hell of a time converting.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Lamar Jackson is doing great but look at what Baltimore’s FO has done to enhance his strengths. Rebuilt OL, TEs, big WRs, a power RB. Play design centered around his skill set. 

And, do not let him throw any passes outside the numbers.

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Lamar Jackson is doing great but look at what Baltimore’s FO has done to enhance his strengths. Rebuilt OL, TEs, big WRs, a power RB. Play design centered around his skill set. 

And it kills me that the Bills focus almost solely on the D & Allen could be so much further ahead with help & smarter play calling.

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Are you a Josh Allen fan or a fan of the Buffalo Bills?

are you a buffalo bills fan?

I am, so that includes JA.

what kind of question is that anyway?

I'm guessing you claim to be a bills fan, just not a fan of JA.

you must be waiting for the next man up.

don't hold your breath.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And it kills me that the Bills focus almost solely on the D & Allen could be so much further ahead with help & smarter play calling.

Are you serious? Most of the new acquisitions this summer were on offense. Yes before it was heavily focused on the defense, but they really addressed this last summer. Is it a finished process? Of course not, it never is anyway, but 2020 is looking great with how Beane has proven to be wise so far and all the cap space he can play with.

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Are you serious? Most of the new acquisitions this summer were on offense. Yes before it was heavily focused on the defense, but they really addressed this last summer. Is it a finished process? Of course not, it never is anyway, but 2020 is looking great with how Beane has proven to be wise so far and all the cap space he can play with.

But the Offensive rankings have been 29, 30 & 24 the past three years (Yards).  In 2016 they were 16th, which tells you how far they dropped with the arrival of McD.....    They have improved, however look at Arizona's improvement, SF's, Baltimore or Tennessee.....  Yes I expected a much better offense & still not happy with their offense.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But the Offensive rankings have been 29, 30 & 24 the past three years (Yards).  In 2016 they were 16th, which tells you how far they dropped with the arrival of McD.....    They have improved, however look at Arizona's improvement, SF's, Baltimore or Tennessee.....  Yes I expected a much better offense & still not happy with their offense.

I'm not saying the offense doesn't need improvement, we agree on that. But you basically say Beane and McD neglect the offense while 80% of their signings this year went to the offense. One year isn't enough to solve everything but we have to give credit for the determined plan and effort.