Joe B’s All 22 Review: Allen and Edmunds Struggle Big Time vs NE

18 hours ago, BigDingus said:

That's the stupidest mindset anyone above 10 years old could have.

You don't have to experience or do something in order to understand what happened. You know we have an entire core study in schools across the world about this, it's called "History." Oddly enough, people who never lived through something, weren't there, and are analyzing it in retrospect are somehow able to understand things that happened! Crazy right?

Similarly, with a whole 2 years of playing football under my belt, can see when someone sucks at their position in that very sport, even if I am not an All-Pro talent or Super Bowl winning coach. I know, truly shocking.

Must you be insulting?   

So you think looking at football film, without the coaches there who have the benefit of actually knowing the play call and assignments, is like reading a history book?    

Oh, by the way, History books are written by people with a perspective.  Just like we both have.  Sometimes our perspectives differ.  Some history books on the same subject actually disagree with others.  I know,  truly shocking.  

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Just take the L and move on.

Sorry Wayne. I’m not discussing things here for W’s and L’s.  I enjoy hearing others perspectives.  Don’t care much for the name calling from those that don’t agree.  One of the issues with forums though. 

Edited by Bob in STL

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The pass is like the Cole Beasley INT where it looks almost like maybe it was tipped but it actually rises during its progression because of Allen's throwing technique which is all upper body on that throw.   Allen doesn't seem to be stepping into the throw at all.  He could make a better throw.  He needs to make a better throw.   Warner comments on it that it is a tough throw to get "up and down" (over the lineman and the coverage, but place where Knox has a play)

It's possible Knox was in a different place than Allen expected him to be once again.  When he breaks, he sort of makes an arc instead of cutting on a line towards the back corner of the endzone.  Or maybe I don't understand the nuances of the routes the Bills are running.  We're talking about a ball that's 6-12" from something Knox has a chance at.  One part of the picture is a throw that doesn't quite go where Allen expects it to.  Another part of the picture is maybe Dawson Knox doesn't go quite where Allen expects him to.

On the third hand, if the OL hadn't turned all sieve-like, Allen could have had two more shots at a better throw.

Pointing out that other things may be wrong than Allen's throw does not mean Allen could not throw a better, more catchable pass and does not mean that Allen didn't miss other opportunities in the game (the one to Brown who was open over the middle being one example).  It doesn't mean "making excuses for Allen".  (I know you're not saying this)

More than one thing can be true.

image.png.1e81931e1fe783119bec1865621570fa.pngimage.thumb.png.68cfbb897e58f1e7f8981d38693ad19b.png

OK, crass to follow up my own post but I will....the context here is NOT the NE game, but in this interview on One Bills Live, Dawson Knox is talking about the nuances of play calling and how on a new play they are installing, he has options as to which route variation he runs, and Josh talking to him on the sidelines about what he (Josh) needs out of Dawson as far as body language to signal what he's going to do. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/dawson-knox-everybody-has-that-competitive-spirit

I just thought that was interesting in the context of my speculation that on a couple throws, Knox may have been in a different place than Allen expected him to be and that running the route the QB expects, exactly as the QB expects it, while communicating variations, is a concrete part of the somewhat nebulous "chemistry" we fans hear about.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well said and love the Rorschach test reference (watch Watchmen if you aren’t).  I had such a roller coaster ride watching that game.  When he had like 19 yards almost to halftime, it was confirming my doubts.  Then he makes some amazing plays where I’m like maybe he is the guy!  But then he has those missed plays.  

it’s stupid to say definitively what he will be right now.  I worry he might be that guy who consistently taunts us with top 5 potential but struggles to be consistent enough.  But plenty of time for growth and we’re winning games. 

Well said and honestly, as a fan - he’s just great to watch.  You never know what you’ll get.  4th and one and he’s stuffed?  Think again!  But wait he fumbled the ball!!  But wait he picked it up himself and now he’s running 45 yards for a TD!!!  He’s a roller coaster and it’s kind of awesome.  No one knows where the ceiling is and anyone who claims to, in either direction, has an agenda.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Sorry Wayne. I’m not discussing things here for W’s and L’s.  I enjoy hearing others perspectives.  Don’t care much for the name calling from those that don’t agree.  One of the issues with forums though.

Bottom line is that Buscaglia is very intelligence and good at what he does. It's football, not rocket science. Just because he's not getting a coaching job any time soon doesn't mean he can't evaluate players on film as good as anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Bottom line is that Buscaglia is very intelligence and good at what he does. It's football, not rocket science. Just because he's not getting a coaching job any time soon doesn't mean he can't evaluate players on film as good as anyone.

"Buscaglia is very intelligence"

I see

Certainly he can evaluate players on film as good as anyone, the question remains: "is he?"  I've laid out some of the stuff where I agree or disagree earlier up thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Estro said:

Tremaine Edmund's striggles to get off blocks and he's bad on misdirection.  Bill B., to no surprise, seems to understand this much better than other coaches

Lol, Mr. Striggles

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Buscaglia is very intelligence"

I see

Certainly he can evaluate players on film as good as anyone, the question remains: "is he?"  I've laid out some of the stuff where I agree or disagree earlier up thread.

Love it

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Well said and honestly, as a fan - he’s just great to watch.  You never know what you’ll get.  4th and one and he’s stuffed?  Think again!  But wait he fumbled the ball!!  But wait he picked it up himself and now he’s running 45 yards for a TD!!!  He’s a roller coaster and it’s kind of awesome.  No one knows where the ceiling is and anyone who claims to, in either direction, has an agenda.

That's really it.  Allen seems to have this "clutch" gene where he ratchets up his game.  When he's "on", it seems there will be a couple plays a game where he just spins your head around - "how did he DO that?" 

The problem is right now, his play is  maddeningly inconsistent and he leaves too much on the field.  He could miss a few of those deep, low percentage throws a game and we'd be fine provided he soaks in and tunes them up over the off-season.  It's the other, shorter, "moneymaker" throws he's not seeing or not taking in favor of higher DoD throws that are killing us.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, crass to follow up my own post but I will....the context here is NOT the NE game, but in this interview on One Bills Live, Dawson Knox is talking about the nuances of play calling and how on a new play they are installing, he has options as to which route variation he runs, and Josh talking to him on the sidelines about what he (Josh) needs out of Dawson as far as body language to signal what he's going to do. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/dawson-knox-everybody-has-that-competitive-spirit

I just thought that was interesting in the context of my speculation that on a couple throws, Knox may have been in a different place than Allen expected him to be and that running the route the QB expects, exactly as the QB expects it, while communicating variations, is a concrete part of the somewhat nebulous "chemistry" we fans hear about.

This is why I rarely take someones all 22 analysis all that serious when it comes to missed throws.  Most of these guys don't know if its a poor throw or wrong page.  Even Brady has receivers on the wrong page this year.  All QBs do.  That's because both the QB and the WR have to read the same thing and make the same call.  Sometimes that doesn't happen.  There was a miscommunication with Brown on one of the "bad throws."  People were pissin up and down about how bad a throw it was and Brown said he read the route wrong.

Edited by Scott7975