Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

6 hours ago, youngjebrey said:

I trust whatever McDermott decides to do Sunday. If he said he was starting Cory bojoquez behind center all game I’d trust it. Coach of the year!

I like him too but if he did that it would be crazy, especially when we're on D.  Offside every play.  What is the point?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah but its not flipping a coin or anything.  Again... people lose their whole season just from practice.  They don't have to play football to get injured.  I think the pro of getting more experience is worth the same risk he has every day of his life anyways.

You haven't answered... is practice meaningless to you?

He won’t be practicing Sunday. He will be playing a game (the place you are most likely to get hurt) or NOT playing in a game. I’m fine with non-contact practice. If he gets hurt there it’s bad luck. If he gets hurt in the game it’s unnecessary exposure.

I agree with not resting most of the starters.  They came out flat after the bye week earlier this season and didn't exactly play real well against Miami, especially in the first three quarters.  Can't have that vs Texans or they could be one and done.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He won’t be practicing Sunday. He will be playing a game (the place you are most likely to get hurt) or NOT playing in a game. I’m fine with non-contact practice. If he gets hurt there it’s bad luck. If he gets hurt in the game it’s unnecessary exposure.

Playing in a game is the best practice you can have.

screen-shot-2019-03-20-at-10_01.06-am.thumb.png.c3e99aed2110337d6a5c63e422b38563.png

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me ask one more question on that. Which of these scenarios do you prefer?

- A) Bills beat the Jets 35-0 and outgain them 5-1. Josh Allen suffers a high ankle sprain and won’t play for 4 to 6 weeks.

- B) Bills get beat 35-0 and are outgained 5-1. They enter the following week with the same health as this week

Or option

C). Bills starters get in more of a rhythm for following week in the playoffs and sustain no injuries.

The choice you laid out didn’t include the rationale of why you play the starters.

With that said, personally I would rather have them not play the starters that much and rest them for the bye week.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Oh I agree 100%. I just don’t think Josh is much different the following week with or without that 1 practice. It isn’t just Josh either because you can multiply it by every important guy. Anyone getting dinged is a mess.

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Or option

C). Bills starters get in more of a rhythm for following week in the playoffs and sustain no injuries.

The choice you laid out didn’t include the rationale of why you play the starters.

With that said, personally I would rather have them not play the starters that much and rest them for the bye week.

They are 5-0 off their last 5 byes. We do we think that rhythm is better than rest?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I agree 100%. I just don’t think Josh is much different the following week with or without that 1 practice. It isn’t just Josh either because you can multiply it by every important guy. Anyone getting dinged is a mess.

They are 5-0 off their last 5 byes. We do we think that rhythm is better than rest?

That’s not the argument I am making.

What I’m saying is that you are completely discounting the other side of the coin.  As I said in my original post, preferably I would rest all the main contributors.

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

screen-shot-2019-03-20-at-10_01.06-am.thumb.png.c3e99aed2110337d6a5c63e422b38563.png

So the injury rate is the same at 7 days OR 14 days? I wonder what the injury rate is like at 7 AND 14 days? I don’t have the data in front of me but I’d have to think that people are more likely to get hurt playing 2 NFL games than 1?

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

That’s not the argument I am making.

What I’m saying is that you are completely discounting the other side of the coin.  As I said in my original post, preferably I would rest all the main contributors.

I’m discounting it in this case because there is ZERO upside. Even if it was as little as moving from the 6 seed to the 5 seed I’d be fine with it. The Bills could play the best game in franchise history or the worst and be in the exact same place the following week. 

The flip side of the coin is the value of “rhythm” but the Bills have been good off of rest. McDermott hasn’t lost off of a bye. Maybe an extra week of health and prep is MORE important than rhythm? 

Our queen has spoken:

Edited by Kirby Jackson

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I agree with not resting most of the starters.  They came out flat after the bye week earlier this season and didn't exactly play real well against Miami, especially in the first three quarters.  Can't have that vs Texans or they could be one and done.  

Yes and they've also simply not played well enough in the past 3 weeks to advance far in the playoffs.

The objective is not to win 1 game..........it's to win ALL of them.

Health is great to have and if you are peaking and your key players are older then it's a no brainer to rest them............but that is not the case on either count.........they need the work on both sides of the football.

I'd hate to see them get an injury that hurts their chances in the WC game............but THE LAST thing I want to see them do is come out flat and embarrass themselves with an uncompetitive effort in Houston when we knew full well that they weren't peaking going into week 17 and needed the work.     

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

We could make a run in the playoffs, but aren’t a realistic contender for winning the Super Bowl. If we were a contender with an experienced QB, I’d say sit the starters. Our guys need experience, and Allen is just as likely to get hurt next preseason. It’s not all about this postseason, it’s about building a sustainable future. Getting reps helps with that. If someone does get hurt, are we really going to say that’s the reason we didn’t win the Super Bowl? This is all about the big picture,  not just this postseason. 

McD was annoyed after the Pats game.  Defense gave up 450 yards.  If defense played well maybe they win.  A lot of missed tackles.  McD trying to get the team playoff ready and clean up some stuff.  Is there some risk playing starters against Jets? Yes. 

McD has changed the culture at OBD and he's trying to build the expectation of competing in the playoffs every year or close to it.  They are a young team and McD is leading the way.  

It's not what I expected but I'm giving McD the benefit of the doubt.  He's with these guys every day and he's been in the league a long time.  Two playoff appearances in three years with the Bills.  Usually this time of year, we're talking about tanking the last game and what draft spot are we getting.  A breath of fresh air.  Kick ass McD!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sounds like Mr. Rachel Bush is ready for the offseason to start.    I actually thought the regular season was when he got a rest from the "teen mom" drama that he's made his life into.

If you as a team want week 17 off don't play your worst game in week 16.

If you NEED it off because you are hurting then let the coach know.........otherwise STFU and let the other players WAGs speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here are some stars that have missed games this year because of injury: Dalvin Cook, Chris Carson, Drew Brees, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Pat Peterson, Patrick Mahomes, and Alvin Kamara. I could name dozens more but won’t. Every single one of those guys was injured WHILE playing NFL football. If you don’t think that injuries happen in NFL games I don’t know what to tell you. Sticking your fingers in your ears yelling “la la la la la la la la” doesn’t change the risk of playing this game at this level. 

They have ZERO to gain!!!!! This isn’t complicated. All that can happen is bad stuff. If they win 52-0 and look like a machine what advantages do they get in their championship pursuit?

They scored 31 points off their bye. The Bills are 4-0 off of a loss coming into this week. I’m not sure how one can reasonably make the “contagious” argument? It isn’t real.

But the bye is part of their schedule. - taking off week 17 is not. 

just playing devils advocate here but I can really see both sides. 

I would compromise and say ‘play the first 2-3 series’ and call it a regular season. 

Big deal.  Some of the important starters may Only play a series, a quarter or a half. They can get hurt in practice too.  The only ones I would sit for sure or play very sparingly are Tre, Singletary and possibly Milano. 

37 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

McD was annoyed after the Pats game.  Defense gave up 450 yards.  If defense played well maybe they win.  A lot of missed tackles.  McD trying to get the team playoff ready and clean up some stuff.  Is there some risk playing starters against Jets? Yes. 

McD has changed the culture at OBD and he's trying to build the expectation of competing in the playoffs every year or close to it.  They are a young team and McD is leading the way.  

It's not what I expected but I'm giving McD the benefit of the doubt.  He's with these guys every day and he's been in the league a long time.  Two playoff appearances in three years with the Bills.  Usually this time of year, we're talking about tanking the last game and what draft spot are we getting.  A breath of fresh air.  Kick ass McD!!

Great post, and good points. I think it’s fair to give McD the benefit of doubt. I’ll take a meticulous attention to detail and desire to improve over complacency. There is absolutely a risk, but they have been attempting to build a culture. Taking every opportunity to improve, and playing to win every game is a culture thing. 

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Big deal.  Some of the important starters may Only play a series, a quarter or a half. They can get hurt in practice too.  The only ones I would sit for sure or play very sparingly are Tre, Singletary and possibly Milano. 

They could get hurt at any point. For example, is a Josh Allen injury this Sunday or next preseason worse? An injury to a guy like Allen at any point is detrimental to this franchise. It could happen at any time. Imo, anyone in an uproar about Allen playing this Sunday should be opposed to him playing at all next preseason.