Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

18 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Ok...so Rocky in movie Rocky...he gets a shot at the champ for the title...it's a super long shot, but it's still a shot. 

What would you say if he fought a totally meaningless fight against some schlub who was potentially soaking his gloves in plaster the week before he got his shot? 

What if he broke his hand in that meaningless fight and couldn't fight against Apollo?

Well that would never happen.  Although what could happen is he could be training for his fight.  Then drop a weight on his foot and break his foot.  The chance of injury in a football game is like 4.1% according to statistics.  Can injury happen?  Yeah.  Am I worried about it? No.  There is a chance someone could blow their ACL in practice too.  Should they not practice just in case? This team needs work.  The more experience they can get the better.  There is no better experience than playing in a live game.

Edited by Scott7975

On 12/24/2019 at 2:33 PM, Buffalo716 said:

You literally can get hurt in practice as easy as in a game

Injuries are a generally random occurrence and the Bills do need the work

We aren't a dynasty, we don't have #1 locked up, we aren't defending champs..  we are the Buffalo Bills...

A young team that still needs to grow. ? the players should be playing

It is precisely because you have #5 locked up, that you do!

The Bills need to play 3 games to advance to the SB.

#1 & 2 don’t!

Only fools play 4 at this time of year, to gain absolutely nada! 

18 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Here are some facts:

Over the last five years, from 2014 through the 2018 season, teams returning from a bye week have a collective record of 84-76. That's 84 wins and 74 losses for a winning percentage of 54.5%.

This trend of teams returning from a bye week having a winning percentage slightly higher than .500 has remained consistent for several years. It supports the belief that teams with fresh legs have a small advantage over teams that didn't have the last week off.

We are 4-1 after bye weeks since 2014

Its a 16 game, grueling season, and we have 4 rookies that are a big part of our team in Ed, Motor, Knox and Cody.  Coaches say the rookie wall is a real thing, if they're right, then why not take a bye week here?  At least for the rooks.

Backup talent needs reps too.  Barkley, Duke, Spencer Long, Darryl, Perry at RB, Corey Thompson & Stanford at LB, Sweeney at TE--Lots of guys need reps and we need to see more of them in real game situations.  Evaluation AND in the event a man goes down they're that much more prepared.

Dropping a game to the Jets would raise us up in each round of the draft and slide them down in each round.  Also a plus.

So the coaching staff knows all this, which means if they play starters a lot Sunday they must feel like there are things we need to correct before playing Houston, and doing it in a real game is the best way.

My question to McD would be, if you insist on playing starters, why didn't you play any of them in the 4th preseason game?  Both precede huge games, but are also meaningless for a playoff bid.  Makes no sense.

My opinion is that resting every single player you possibly can is more advantageous.  

it's not a bye week.  

12 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

It is precisely because you have #5 locked up, that you do!

The Bills need to play 3 games to advance to the SB.

#1 & 2 don’t!

Only fools play 4 at this time of year, to gain absolutely nada! 

So Belichick is a fool.

I think the starters should at least play a few series. Both times, coming out after a week off (preseason week 4 and bye week 6), they came out a little imprecise. They had a lot of mental mistakes vs NYJ week 1 and didn't start off well coming off the bye vs the Ravens. They pretty much used to 1st half to get warmed up, before actually playing the 2nd half it seemed like. I'd like to get our players rested up and healthy, but don't want them coming out flat in a very winnable playoff game, esp on the road.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2019 at 11:49 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t like it personally. There is NO upside imo. What do you guys think?

On 12/24/2019 at 11:49 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t like it personally. There is NO upside imo. What do you guys think?

I hope Duke has 8 catches and Yeldon runs for 100 yards!

During the Bill Belichick regime in New England, resting starters has been a non-issue. The almighty hooded one does not do it. 

And his teams, perhaps not so coincidentally, rarely lose in the first round of the playoffs.

In 2007, with home-field advantage locked up but a perfect season one win away, Belichick played his starters throughout. The Patriots won the season finale, securing the NFL's first 16-0 record, and ran the table to get to Super Bowl XLI.

Last year, the Ravens were still in contention for the No. 1 seed so the Patriots didn't have the option to rest starters.

"I think that's a conversation that you can have, and the fans can have, but it's not really part of our approach to the game," Belichick told Boston.com. "I don't think it's a good one to have. I don't really understand it either. You're going to pick out one guy that is important and say somebody else isn't? I don't think that's a good way to manage your football team."

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Well that would never happen.  Although what could happen is he could be training for his fight.  Then drop a weight on his foot and break his foot.  The chance of injury in a football game is like 4.1% according to statistics.  Can injury happen?  Yeah.  Am I worried about it? No.  There is a chance someone could blow their ACL in practice too.  Should they not practice just in case? This team needs work.  The more experience they can get the better.  There is no better experience than playing in a live game.

That's a straw man, I'm not talking about practice, I'm talking about games...stop with the logical fallacies please.

So why wouldn't Rocky fight some random dude the week or four before his fight with Apollo?

51 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

You understand what the word 'CLINCH means, right?

You understand the Belichick hasn't rested starters even when 'CLINCHED, right?

10 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

That's a straw man, I'm not talking about practice, I'm talking about games...stop with the logical fallacies please.

So why wouldn't Rocky fight some random dude the week or four before his fight with Apollo?

Straw man?  Logical Fallacies?  You brought up Rocky bro.  I'm done here.

Because fighters don't fight like that.

Now I will say this. They have a sports science dept and detailed stats on each player in terms of their acceleration, top speed, cut abgle, etc with all sorts of variables baked in.  They know how much rest will cause certain players and positions will cause them to get out of game fitness/shape.

My guess, there will be certain players that the moment they hit a certain heart rate or some other measure they will get pulled. My guess is also for many players those benchmarks could get hit in pregame warm-ups.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You understand the Belichick hasn't rested starters even when 'CLINCHED, right?

Straw man?  Logical Fallacies?  You brought up Rocky bro.  I'm done here.

Because fighters don't fight like that.

Yes, you're making up a different argument that is easier to win and arguing that instead of the one we are having, but acting like it proves your point. The chance of an injury in practice for JA with a red non-contact jersey are not the same as in a game.

I have no doubt that boxing league Rocky was fighting in at the start of the movie had boxers fighting weekly btw.

I love the passion you are brining to this discussion, and I really do think you are approaching this genuinely (would be an awesome troll job though!), but yes logical fallacy:

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So Baltimore is scared or losers?

Baltimore is stupid. By resting their starters, plus having the bye week, they will be so rusty for their divisional game, which will be against us, btw. Bills beat Baltimore and go on to play New England in the conference finals, which we will also win, as it is hard for a team to beat the same team three times in a season.

12 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Now I will say this. They have a sports science dept and detailed stats on each player in terms of their acceleration, top speed, cut abgle, etc with all sorts of variables baked in.  They know how much rest will cause certain players and positions will cause them to get out of game fitness/shape.

My guess, there will be certain players that the moment they hit a certain heart rate or some other measure they will get pulled. My guess is also for many players those benchmarks could get hit in pregame warm-ups.

wonderful, until one day they sustain a very serious injury,

oopsie poopsie.... that wasn’t on our computer program.....

• Like (+1) 1

The risk of playing anyone important is so asymmetrical relative to the reward it’s mind boggling someone could make the argument to play anyone. 

injuries to a key player are instantaneous and mostly happen in a split second in a live game versus a live opponent. 

improving on offense is something that takes many factors into account and certainly isn’t just live reps in a portion of a meaningless game. It’s reps over the course of a season and sometimes multiple seasons, players, play calling, opponents, etc...  

in other words there is no chance that a few reps is going to make any difference In performance, yet an injury to a key player could mean the difference between wins and losses. Asymmetrical risk. 

9 minutes ago, dubs said:

The risk of playing anyone important is so asymmetrical relative to the reward it’s mind boggling someone could make the argument to play anyone. 

injuries to a key player are instantaneous and mostly happen in a split second in a live game versus a live opponent. 

improving on offense is something that takes many factors into account and certainly isn’t just live reps in a portion of a meaningless game. It’s reps over the course of a season and sometimes multiple seasons, players, play calling, opponents, etc...  

in other words there is no chance that a few reps is going to make any difference In performance, yet an injury to a key player could mean the difference between wins and losses. Asymmetrical risk. 

The issue is you can't take everyone out and when you pluck starters out here and there you put the remaining guys at higher risk. Like if bates is playing, misses a block and that guy hurts someone else. When eric wood broke his leg someone missed a block and that guy ended up causing the break. So maybe you can sit the boundry guys but the front 7 and the oline should be in there most of the game until the outcome is determined. We've had very few injuries this year, so maybe a little attention to the play calling and let them go.

55 minutes ago, row_33 said:

wonderful, until one day they sustain a very serious injury,

oopsie poopsie.... that wasn’t on our computer program.....

Oh I'm 100% for keeping them out of the game and if staying game fit is even something playing into the decision having the players hit their game fit thresholds in warm-up or a simulated game before the game. 

There just aren't the roster spots to do that. Even where you have a backup, they're not game fit to play 40 snaps when they usually play 6. You can't ask Perry to carry 20 times, he very much most likely does not have the game fitness and will pull a hamstring or something.