Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

meh. I get it but you know guys 4 and 5 on the list may be frustrated - especially if a little dinged up. Or 6 and 7 if you do 5 and so on. 

I don’t agree, but it’s also not insane. Just need to know your team to make the call.

Not quite my point. BB saying that he doesnt know how many starters he has is equivalent to deflecting the question. Perhaps a better posed question may be "will you rest few of the critical players". He very well knows what the real question is, yet chooses to provide these dense replies which he thinks implies genius on his part. He is undoubtedly a great coach but not a good orator. 

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The only thing worse than an injury is going out, trying and getting smoked by the Jets. The team earned a Week 17 bye, by taking care of their business. This is a mistake that McDermott will learn from

that would be so Billsy

injuries and losing 

On 12/24/2019 at 8:49 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t like it personally. There is NO upside imo. What do you guys think?

The upside is finishing 11-5, vs. 10-6, and not having the first two-game losing streak of the season. Winners don't play scared.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

that would be so Billsy

injuries and losing 

The Eagles lost Wentz and still won the SB. The Giants lost Simms and still won the SB.

I have no objection to pulling the starters once the Bills are up by 21. Allen still needs the work. You have to earn the right to take a week off. The Bills have not earned it yet.

Edited by egd
  • Like (+1) 1

Makes sense coming from McDermott.  He's the least logical/scientific/linear thinking guy you now.

He once admitted to challenging a penalty because he felt it sent a message to the team.

I'm sure he thinks there is a thing called "momentum" in sports and it's important to maintain it going into the playoff game.

Dude's replaceable.

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Makes sense coming from McDermott.  He's the least logical/scientific/linear thinking guy you now.

He once admitted to challenging a penalty because he felt it sent a message to the team.

I'm sure he thinks there is a thing called "momentum" in sports and it's important to maintain it going into the playoff game.

Dude's replaceable.

Lol...first Bills coach to sniff the playoffs in how long?...and does it 2 out 3 years, AND

the team a few years ago was pitiful.

Totally replaceable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It wasn't just defense.  The OL did not block well on key downs.  Allen started the game playing poorly and misfired at the end.

There's the other side of the coin there too.  McDermott's team is built on "do your 1/11"

Now if a player is injured that's one thing

But otherwise, how do you say "everybody needs to do their 1/11 and every 1/11 is critically important" and then just go along and pick who rests? 

The Bills have invested heavily on defense and it's McDermott's forte.  Yeah offense didn't play particularly well but that was the Bills worse game on defense this year.  I think McD expected more from his team and in particular the defense.  Now the starters are playing against the Jets.

1 hour ago, egd said:

The upside is finishing 11-5, vs. 10-6, and not having the first two-game losing streak of the season. Winners don't play scared.

The Eagles lost Wentz and still won the SB. The Giants lost Simms and still won the SB.

I have no objection to pulling the starters once the Bills are up by 21. Allen still needs the work. You have to earn the right to take a week off. The Bills have not earned it yet.

Eagles sprang a gimmick O on the NFL with two solid QBs, the NFL solved the gimmick over the offseason after the SB win, one and done fluke winner

the Giants had a suitable replacement for the barely above good Phil Simms, Parcells knew how little value Simms provided and let him know it every single day.

This is a YOUNG team.

This is a team coming off an emotional defeat to a team they may see again in playoffs.

This is a team that’s been starting games slow offensively.  

This season is just the beginning, and not a last chance scenario.  

This is an offense with 9 new starters this year still coming together.

This is a team still learning to win and reduce mistakes.

Therefore:  It’s better that they play, at least part of the game.  Its not a good thing to go into the post season with a 2 week gap for our young starters and potentially on a streak of losing 3 games in last 4 (assuming backups lost to Jets).  

If someone gets hurt, well that’s football.  Resting starters would be like playing not to lose vs playing to win.  

If they want to win in the playoffs, then it’s better to keep the machine oiled.  If this was a veteran team with lots of playoff experience, then I would say let them rest.  But we need the reps.

I fully support this decision no matter what the outcome is.  McD obviously feels the same way.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Albwan said:

Lol...first Bills coach to sniff the playoffs in how long?...and does it 2 out 3 years, AND

the team a few years ago was pitiful.

Totally replaceable.

There are some terrible posters but Nextmanup takes it to a whole new level.   

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is a YOUNG team.

This is a team coming off an emotional defeat to a team they may see again in playoffs.

This is a team that’s been starting games slow offensively.  

This season is just the beginning, and not a last chance scenario.  

This is an offense with 9 new starters this year still coming together.

This is a team still learning to win and reduce mistakes.

Therefore:  It’s better that they play, at least part of the game.  Its not a good thing to go into the post season with a 2 week gap for our young starters and potentially on a streak of losing 3 games in last 4 (assuming backups lost to Jets).  

If someone gets hurt, well that’s football.  Resting starters would be like playing not to lose vs playing to win.  

If they want to win in the playoffs, then it’s better to keep the machine oiled.  If this was a veteran team with lots of playoff experience, then I would say let them rest.  But we need the reps.

I fully support this decision no matter what the outcome is.  McD obviously feels the same way.  

It’s a matter of routine and my hunch is that most of the starters will play anywhere from a quarter to a half.  I’m fully supportive of whatever McD decides, he’s earned the right of the benefit of the doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Dude's replaceable.

Do you have a link?

McDermott has challenged exactly one penalty, in which he challenged that there was OPI on Josh Gordon during the week 4 game vs. NE*.  (he lost the challenge)

What message, pray tell, was that supposed to send to the team?

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Because no one has been game planning to take him out of the game for like 2 years now...... you people crack me up

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Josh will probably only play like 2 series.  There really isn't anything that's going to be figured out that hasn't already been figured out.  

So McD calls a timeout so can get a free look at how the cowboys would respond to a specific pressure look later in the game, Romo gets hearts in his eyes for McD, people who understand football on this board go wild with praise...yet it's just two series in this case, no big deal...that was one play, clearly it matters!

If you look at Allen's progression it is jagged. People figure him out, he looks rough for a week or two, he adjusts looks awesome, they figure him out, he looks bad, Bills adjust he looks great again. Why would you want a top 20 all time d coordinator to get a chance to show a pressure package with backend coverage that confuses JA a week before a one and done situation?!

And just to help me clarify...the argument is you could fall on the ground walking to your car in the morning so therefore base jumping off a cliff is not risky...logical falicy much?

Edited by HardyBoy

37 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

So McD calls a timeout so can get a free look at how the cowboys would respond to a specific pressure look later in the game, Romo gets hearts in his eyes for McD, people who understand football on this board go wild with praise...yet it's just two series in this case, no big deal...that was one play, clearly it matters!

If you look at Allen's progression it is jagged. People figure him out, he looks rough for a week or two, he adjusts looks awesome, they figure him out, he looks bad, Bills adjust he looks great again. Why would you want a top 20 all time d coordinator to get a chance to show a pressure package with backend coverage that confuses JA a week before a one and done situation?!

And just to help me clarify...the argument is you could fall on the ground walking to your car in the morning so therefore base jumping off a cliff is not risky...logical falicy much?

No the argument is he can get hurt anytime.  It matters not if he gets hurt in this game or the next.  The result is the same.  They are paid to take that risk.  But im not going to argue this again.  No point.  I think they need more work and so does the coach.

Edited by Scott7975

It simply comes down to risk vs. reward.  The risk of an injury far outweighs any argument to play the starters.    Playoffs are the very next week - even a minor injury keeping a player out a few weeks can hurt us bad.

Edited by BillsCuse

34 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

No the argument is he can get hurt anytime.  It matters not if he gets hurt in this game or the next.  The result is the same.  They are paid to take that risk.  But im not going to argue this again.  No point.  I think they need more work and so does the coach.

Ok...so Rocky in movie Rocky...he gets a shot at the champ for the title...it's a super long shot, but it's still a shot. 

What would you say if he fought a totally meaningless fight against some schlub who was potentially soaking his gloves in plaster the week before he got his shot? 

What if he broke his hand in that meaningless fight and couldn't fight against Apollo?

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Do you have a link?

McDermott has challenged exactly one penalty, in which he challenged that there was OPI on Josh Gordon during the week 4 game vs. NE*.  (he lost the challenge)

What message, pray tell, was that supposed to send to the team?

He won't respond. One of those "hit ya with a bull ***** post and runs" type.

• Thank you (+1) 1