Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

Here are some facts:

Over the last five years, from 2014 through the 2018 season, teams returning from a bye week have a collective record of 84-76. That's 84 wins and 74 losses for a winning percentage of 54.5%.

This trend of teams returning from a bye week having a winning percentage slightly higher than .500 has remained consistent for several years. It supports the belief that teams with fresh legs have a small advantage over teams that didn't have the last week off.

We are 4-1 after bye weeks since 2014

Its a 16 game, grueling season, and we have 4 rookies that are a big part of our team in Ed, Motor, Knox and Cody.  Coaches say the rookie wall is a real thing, if they're right, then why not take a bye week here?  At least for the rooks.

Backup talent needs reps too.  Barkley, Duke, Spencer Long, Darryl, Perry at RB, Corey Thompson & Stanford at LB, Sweeney at TE--Lots of guys need reps and we need to see more of them in real game situations.  Evaluation AND in the event a man goes down they're that much more prepared.

Dropping a game to the Jets would raise us up in each round of the draft and slide them down in each round.  Also a plus.

So the coaching staff knows all this, which means if they play starters a lot Sunday they must feel like there are things we need to correct before playing Houston, and doing it in a real game is the best way.

My question to McD would be, if you insist on playing starters, why didn't you play any of them in the 4th preseason game?  Both precede huge games, but are also meaningless for a playoff bid.  Makes no sense.

My opinion is that resting every single player you possibly can is more advantageous.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Ugh. I suspect I get McD’s thinking in the aspect of all games are important, particularly the next. I understand that but I also get the big picture and would much rather the guys who are critical or dinged-up had a week off. 

I am sure the guys dinged up will get their rest

What happens if Gregg figures something out on how to stop JA, puts it on tape and the Bills don't have enough time to figure out how to counter it before the wild card?

Williams isn't just a dirty coach, he's arguably a top 20 all time d coordinator. 

12 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

McD was annoyed after the Pats game.  Defense gave up 450 yards.  If defense played well maybe they win.  A lot of missed tackles. 

It wasn't just defense.  The OL did not block well on key downs.  Allen started the game playing poorly and misfired at the end.

12 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

McD trying to get the team playoff ready and clean up some stuff.  Is there some risk playing starters against Jets? Yes. 

McD has changed the culture at OBD and he's trying to build the expectation of competing in the playoffs every year or close to it.  They are a young team and McD is leading the way. 

There's the other side of the coin there too.  McDermott's team is built on "do your 1/11"

Now if a player is injured that's one thing

But otherwise, how do you say "everybody needs to do their 1/11 and every 1/11 is critically important" and then just go along and pick who rests? 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

What happens if Gregg figures something out on how to stop JA, puts it on tape and the Bills don't have enough time to figure out how to counter it before the wild card?

Williams isn't just a dirty coach, he's arguably a top 20 all time d coordinator. 

Hate to break it to you but that's been out on tape a while lol

Edited by Sharky7337

I wouldn't be at all surprised if come Sunday, there are a lot of guys given limited snaps. I think the method will be to have everyone practise as normal, but then make decisions based off of fitness etc. come the Sunday. Keeps actual preparation disruption to a minimum, and maintains routines.

The team really hasn't played especially well in the last few games, to warrant time off for good behaviour ;)

Offensively they have barely done enough, and defensively there was regression in the Cheaters game to some poor tackling, in particular.

Both sides of the ball need to show they have put things right, before getting time off (or rested). 

There is no sense in playing guys who are dinged up, however.

I think this is a really bad decision. 

the defense is stout already and we simply cannot have critical injuries. 

Newsflash, the offense isn’t “working anything out” or “getting out any kinks” in a meaningless game against the Jets. They are what they are at this point and a key injury to John or Brown or the oline will make a very pedestrian offense that much worse. 

you start prepping for Houston now and sit as many people as possible on Sunday. There is no other correct alternative!

Merry Christmas all!!

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if come Sunday, there are a lot of guys given limited snaps. I think the method will be to have everyone practise as normal, but then make decisions based off of fitness etc. come the Sunday. Keeps actual preparation disruption to a minimum, and maintains routines.

The team really hasn't played especially well in the last few games, to warrant time off for good behaviour ;)

Offensively they have barely done enough, and defensively there was regression in the Cheaters game to some poor tackling, in particular.

Both sides of the ball need to show they have put things right, before getting time off (or rested). 

There is no sense in playing guys who are dinged up, however.

Unless they are missing tackles because they aren't rested, which is a heck of a lot more likely than them suddenly forgetting how to tackle.  They don't have the roster spots to rest everyone, and the backups aren't game fit to play huge snaps.

You're really talking Barkely for Allen, Duke for Brown or Beasley, Sweeney for Knox and Yeldon for Singletary. The rest of the starters would have to be active because they don't have players that are game fit enough to cover the position for a full game without greatly increasing the risk of injury.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Unless they are missing tackles because they aren't rested, which is a heck of a lot more likely than them suddenly forgetting how to tackle.  They don't have the roster spots to rest everyone, and the backups aren't game fit to play huge snaps.

You're really talking Barkely for Allen, Duke for Brown or Beasley, Sweeney for Knox and Yeldon for Singletary. The rest of the starts would have to be active because they don't have players that are game fit enough to cover the position for a full game without greatly increasing the risk of injury.

Exactly.  Because the roster is so small, we're going to have to play quite a few regulars regardless.  I assume we'll sit guys like Morse who are a little banged up, and I would prefer that they sit Allen, Singletary, and Tre because of their importance next week, but you can't rest everybody.

I'm hoping that they're just going to give Allen a couple of series to stay in his regular routine while keeping him out of harms way.  Trust the process, I guess.

3 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Josh will probably only play like 2 series.  There really isn't anything that's going to be figured out that hasn't already been figured out.