Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

I understand both arguments about playing/resting our starters. But it seems like whenever the Bills get any kind of time off, they tend to play so flat afterwards. Personally I wouldn’t mind if Allen played at least 1 quarter. But on defense, definitely no more than a couple of series 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So the injury rate is the same at 7 days OR 14 days? I wonder what the injury rate is like at 7 AND 14 days? I don’t have the data in front of me but I’d have to think that people are more likely to get hurt playing 2 NFL games than 1?

I’m discounting it in this case because there is ZERO upside. Even if it was as little as moving from the 6 seed to the 5 seed I’d be fine with it. The Bills could play the best game in franchise history or the worst and be in the exact same place the following week. 

The flip side of the coin is the value of “rhythm” but the Bills have been good off of rest. McDermott hasn’t lost off of a bye. Maybe an extra week of health and prep is MORE important than rhythm? 

Our queen has spoken:

Seems like it.  I honestly don't know what to think of it yet.  I came across it and thought it was interesting and pertains somewhat to what we are discussing in this thread.  Thought I would share it.  That is data from the NFL and not some statistics site too.  Day 15 seems to spike up a bit.  My guess is people are more prone to injury after too much rest... and or... possibly players coming off injury are more susceptible to re-injury?  Not sure.  

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think this is more that they will do their normal routine this week.  I don’t expect the starters to play more than a few series.  Even then, expect a lot of hand offs 

Then what’s the point? You only have so many active players in a week. This is just dumb. Play the backups and have more of those guys active in case of injuries. 

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Or option

C). Bills starters get in more of a rhythm for following week in the playoffs and sustain no injuries.

The choice you laid out didn’t include the rationale of why you play the starters.

With that said, personally I would rather have them not play the starters that much and rest them for the bye week.

what does "get in more of a rhythm" mean?

this isn't training camp lol. they have had all season to work on that, 1 game vs the jets isn't going to fix our issues on offense. 

rest the players during a free bye week and be done with it. 1 injury to an important player sunday and the fanbase will have a meltdown 

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

I understand both arguments about playing/resting our starters. But it seems like whenever the Bills get any kind of time off, they tend to play so flat afterwards. Personally I wouldn’t mind if Allen played at least 1 quarter. But on defense, definitely no more than a couple of series 

Mcdermott is 3-0 coming off a bye

Here is something Bill Belichick has said about it...

"I think that's a conversation that you can have, and the fans can have, but it's not really part of our approach to the game," Belichick told Boston.com. "I don't think it's a good one to have. I don't really understand it either. You're going to pick out one guy that is important and say somebody else isn't? I don't think that's a good way to manage your football team."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1462560-what-does-nfl-history-say-about-resting-starters-before-the-playoffs

For the first year in a while, we didn't have the "resting starters" conversation with Bill Belichick heading into Week 17.

It's a conversation that doesn't usually go too far.

Belichick generally rejects the concept of "starters," and is therefore confused by the notion of resting them.

"Look, I don’t really understand that question,” Belichick said in December 2016. "I don't even know how many starters we have. ... This isn’t like a preseason game where you have 75 guys on your roster. This is a regular-season game. So I don’t really understand that whole line of questioning."

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Pfft . Does he mean to say that Brady, Edelman, Gilmore etc are clearly not the "starters" ? 

Sounds brainy on his part but really is BS. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes and they've also simply not played well enough in the past 3 weeks to advance far in the playoffs.

The objective is not to win 1 game..........it's to win ALL of them.

Health is great to have and if you are peaking and your key players are older then it's a no brainer to rest them............but that is not the case on either count.........they need the work on both sides of the football.

I'd hate to see them get an injury that hurts their chances in the WC game............but THE LAST thing I want to see them do is come out flat and embarrass themselves with an uncompetitive effort in Houston when we knew full well that they weren't peaking going into week 17 and needed the work.     

Well said.  I agree that I don't want them to be embarrassed with a poor effort, long flight home, and done for the next 8 months.  It is better to risk an injury than having to shake off rust for three quarters again.  This team isn't in a position to rest players on any phase of the game.

• Like (+1) 3

Well considering McD has gotten more wins and playoff appearance than anyone since Marv he can do what he wants.  I am sure he has done his due diligence.  If he plays and someone gets hurt he will get killed in the media.  If he rests people and they lay a huge egg in the Playoffs he will get killed in the media.  His only hope is that that no one gets hurt and they win.  

Professional athletes are creatures of habit.  This isn't a bye week i have no idea why people keep saying that.  You still have to play the game.  The entire team doesn't have off.  Chemistry is important and when you have people on difference schedules it can throw you off.  The best option  is to go about your business like any other week and play the game.  

Josh needs the experiences anyway so lets go.  Get that 11th win.  

• Like (+1) 2

I said it in another thread but think I can expand on it a little.  Give them 3-4 possessions to work on the things that need to be fixed (screens, slants, deep ball).  In some format it comes down to points scored up to 10 in those first 3-4. 

For example:

first drive - 0, second - 7, third - 3 = they are done 

first drive 7, second drive - 3 = done

but only a max of 4 possessions. 

Basically make they play late game ball early on so they are going for a win on each drive instead of playing safe for 2-3 quarters before letting things fly.  

58 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Pfft . Does he mean to say that Brady, Edelman, Gilmore etc are clearly not the "starters" ? 

Honestly, he's just not well spoken is all (or is trying not to be).  He's basically saying the same thing that McD says but sounds more like a curmudgeonon than anything else.

McD says "next man up, we have talent throughout this roster"

BB says "what do you mean starter???"

It's all about how you say it and BB has a history of these types of responses.

Edited by The Wiz

59 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

meh. I get it but you know guys 4 and 5 on the list may be frustrated - especially if a little dinged up. Or 6 and 7 if you do 5 and so on. 

I don’t agree, but it’s also not insane. Just need to know your team to make the call.

49 minutes ago, kota said:

Well considering McD has gotten more wins and playoff appearance than anyone since Marv he can do what he wants.  I am sure he has done his due diligence.  If he plays and someone gets hurt he will get killed in the media.  If he rests people and they lay a huge egg in the Playoffs he will get killed in the media.  His only hope is that that no one gets hurt and they win.  

Professional athletes are creatures of habit.  This isn't a bye week i have no idea why people keep saying that.  You still have to play the game.  The entire team doesn't have off.  Chemistry is important and when you have people on difference schedules it can throw you off.  The best option  is to go about your business like any other week and play the game.  

Josh needs the experiences anyway so lets go.  Get that 11th win.  

another pesky inconvenient fact is that Wade Phillips led them to 2 playoff appearances

what further fantasies can we dream up on here?

• Haha (+1) 1