Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills scored 31 points off of their bye week. The whole “rhythm” thing is overrated. That’s why no NFL team plays their starters in the 4th preseason game. Health is WAY more important than rhythm. 

Yup. All the another arguments are based on feelings, not reality (save Yolo’s about contracts but even that falls on deaf ears with me: rest and health is for the betterment of the team moving into the playoffs). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I might be in the minority; however, I think it is the right move. 

Can’t survive in football cringing in worry about getting hurt

a half will be fine for the top players 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t like it personally. There is NO upside imo. What do you guys think?

I think McDermott means what he says and says what he means. 

He said that "fundamentals" (blocking and tackling) were not "up to our standard" in the Pats game.  He didn't call him out specifically for "not up to our standard" but he did mention for a young team, the need to keep working and in response to "jitters" question, the need for Josh getting into a pregame routine that works for him.

I think McDermott wants to send the message "everything is earned" including the right to take time off instead of grinding. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It won’t even matter who the inactives are. They need to dress 46 players. That doesn’t mean they will all play or play a lot or a little. We know nothing at this time. 

I'm looking at the fact that the inactives should have some of the players that McDermott wants to rest.

That way the "typical" inactives like Yeldon and Duke and some of the others can come in to relieve some of the starters/primary depth players.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Majority of the players have to play. Who would take their place? We don't have a 90 man roster.

Yep, there’s no way to sit all the starters, most of them have to play.

Allen on the other hand...

Tre White too, Id like to see both those guys sit.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I’ve read every post in this thread, and feel someone needs to say it:  

Somebody could get hurt. 

I've read every post in this thread and none of you are wrong

Just now, MDH said:

Yep, there’s no way to sit all the starters, most of them have to play.

Allen on the other hand...

Tre White too, Id like to see both those guys sit.

Start Barkley and put Allen in for that game winning, 4th quarter drive :) 

1 hour ago, Tesla03 said:

Pretty dumb

one injury to a key player and The whole city will question McDermott and this front office 

McDermott is well aware of that.   He said yesterday he understands that whatever decision they make will be second-guessed.

57 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think this is more that they will do their normal routine this week.  I don’t expect the starters to play more than a few series.  Even then, expect a lot of hand offs 

That would be totally pointless IMHO.   From everything McDermott said, I expect Josh to play a significant amount of time - at least the first half.  I also expect it to depend upon how he and the OL look. 

I don't believe we will see them for the whole game.

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I agree here. I get the turtle-shell mentality of some, though.

Yeah, I do get the concerns that many have and I agree with the premise that "if they do not play, they cannot get injured." However, I also am not a fan of fear based philosophies.

Just now, billsherd said:

Majority of the guys will have to play as there are not enough players on the roster right now to seat all the starters. Question is how long? He will never give a definite answer to that

Billions of $$ ride on an inside answer to this

I understand both sides. On one hand you don’t want a key player to get injured but on the other hand you may want continuity and momentum going into the playoffs. I air on the side of the latter. You try n get the offense going and the engine greased up for the playoffs n nobody said for how long our starters are playing for. We need that experience but it’s exciting that we are even talking about this.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let me just say at this point:

if Daboll calls a ***** designed QB run at any point in tomorrow's game, I will personally jump through the television screen and Squash Him Like a Bug.

that’d be ironic if Josh got clocked into outpatient on a needless run