2018 QB Redraft. - PFF Says Allen should have went as the 4th QB

MAJBobby

They don’t have a clue. Both Donald and Mayfield suck, esp Mayfield. The guy has all pros at receivers and one of the best backs in the nfl and yet cannot produce. Donald has already peaked.  I agree, Allen has still a lot to learn but he is better than those guys.  Lamar has been great but he won‘t be able to keep playing that way, one big hit and he is done.  Allen is built to take hits.  

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I realize this is a Bills homer board, and people get butt hurt easily, but nothing that was said there is inaccurate.  He did improve in many ways this season.  He isn't making the stupid passes any more, he will slide, and his accuracy in the short(ish) game has improved significantly.  But his problems in college, and presumably in high school since he apparently was not heavily recruited, are largely still his same problems today.  Continuous improvement is what you hope for as a Bills fan and hope the Bills coaches can bring him along.  He can chuck the thing a mile, and has the kind of attitude and work ethic you have to love.  But knowing what I know now, I wouldn't move up to draft him like the Bills did.

I think this is fair. The problem is that you are drafting guys on what they will/can be not what they are today. That’s why Josh went in the top 10. 2 years in there is no reason to believe that the future of Baker or Darnold is brighter than that of Josh. Talent evaluators would absolutely roll the dice on the upside of Josh at this point before more established players.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Real question, would the Bills have more wins with Mayfield, or Darnold, or Jackson?

Good question.  I have to say yes because they are capable of playing conservative while the defense wins games, but probably hit on more deep balls than he has this year. It really shouldn’t be so hard to get more than 17 points/game. 

In Order:

1) The MVP QB.... by far...

Down...

Down...

Down...

2) Josh Allen... by a decent margin. Needs to overcome Inaccuracy, a sub standard OC & Smurfs. BIG upside.

3) Baker Mayfield. Too small, rattled, unable to make big plays... He ain’t Drew Brees by a Canton shot!

4) Sam Darnold. Incomplete due to illness. Terrible team, missing all manner of key components, especially in the Mgt. class.

5) Josh Rosen. WHO TH is this dude?

6) Mason Rudolph? Backup to the Quacker? ??? Puuuulease.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-re-drafting-the-2018-quarterback-class

4. JOSH ALLEN

Unlike some others on this list, Allen has seen his arrow point decidedly upward from year one to year two, and he's deservedly moved up our rankings over the past two seasons. His underneath and intermediate accuracy has seen a considerable bump year on year. Only 7.9% of his passes that were targeted 1-19 yards downfield were charted as perfectly placed last season, but this year, that number is 20.4% — higher than anyone else in the 2018 quarterback class. His accuracy, combined with his playmaking ability with his legs, has been a massive value-add to the Bills' offense — especially in the red zone.

The worrisome thing is that Allen has still never been able to truly open up the offense as a passer. In 26 career starts, he’s never had a single 300-yard passing game. A big reason why is the lack of big plays, as his deep-ball accuracy has been all over the place this season. Despite his improved play, Allen has fewer big-time throws this year (13) than he did even a year ago (17), and the former ranks 26th among all quarterbacks in the NFL this year. He’s only completed 26.9% of his targets 20-plus yards downfield — the fourth-worst in the NFL — and that’s the opposite of what you’d expect for a player with that kind of arm strength.

My favorite stupid stat remains ESPN's QBR. Did you know that Allen's Espn-QBR rating last year is higher than this year's despite him improving in virtually every category? https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

Regardless, this is a stupid exercise. It's too early to tell.  Mayfield played really well last year but struggled this season in a pretty chaotic situation.  Darnold is having a decent season and has looked decent of late. I'd wait until four years are up to make any judgments with Darnold/Allen/Mayfield, who are all reasonably close in terms of on-field performance. Jackson is clearly the best of the lot so far.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Good question.  I have to say yes because they are capable of playing conservative while the defense wins games, but probably hit on more deep balls than he has this year. It really shouldn’t be so hard to get more than 17 points/game. 

Personally I think Mayfield sucks, and changing from OBJ and Landry, with Chubb at RB to Beasley, Brown, great for eight carries Singletary at RB, mayfield would suck worse. .  

Darnold would not have more wins, because he would have had mono.  Darnold is the 2018 QB with the turnover problem, so he would have fewer wins.  Hard to say with Jackson. I Buffalo he probably would be sitting the bench behind some peterman clone because Daboll would have no idea what to do with him.  But if the entire ravens offense and coaching staff came over, we would definitely score more points and win more games. 

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Personally I think Mayfield sucks, and changing from OBJ and Landry, with Chubb at RB to Beasley, Brown, great for eight carries Singletary at RB, mayfield would suck worse. .  

Darnold would not have more wins, because he would have had mono.  Darnold is the 2018 QB with the turnover problem, so he would have fewer wins.  Hard to say with Jackson. I Buffalo he probably would be sitting the bench behind some peterman clone because Daboll would have no idea what to do with him.  But if the entire ravens offense and coaching staff came over, we would definitely score more points and win more games. 

You think he catches mono regardless of what city he’s in? 

22 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Good question.  I have to say yes because they are capable of playing conservative while the defense wins games, but probably hit on more deep balls than he has this year. It really shouldn’t be so hard to get more than 17 points/game

With Smoke, Beas, Singletary and Gore, and a solid kicker,  you wouldn't think so.  Add in that the D gives you plenty of opportunities.  

O-Line is a problem, and often coaching as well.  But yeah, 20.5 PPG average this season (23rd) doesn't seem to be setting the bar crazy high ... particularly with this years schedule.

But on the contrary side, the Bills are playing conservative on offense knowing they have a good D and figure they don't need a ton of points.  And this season anyway, they have been right for the most part.

Bottom line, who knows.  

Edited by CodeMonkey

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My favorite stupid state remains ESPN's QBR. Did you know that Allen's Espn-QBR rating last year is higher than this year's despite him improving in virtually every category? https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

Regardless, this is a stupid exercise. It's too early to tell.  Mayfield played really well last year but struggled this season in a pretty chaotic situation.  Darnold is having a decent season and has looked decent of late. I'd wait until four years are up to make any judgments with Darnold/Allen/Mayfield, who are all reasonably close in terms of on-field performance. Jackson is clearly the best of the lot so far.

QBR is like women's thinking I cant figure it out  How is Josh's Miami game a 47.6 but the Pats game is a 84.6  Stats virtually the same except the Pats game is completion % was much lower  The formula is the Colonels  recipe

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We fired Roman in-season.  It's funny how the OC is always the most unpopular guy in Buffalo, yet a few have left & found success elsewhere (and even a Super Bowl ring like Kevin "Killdrive") .  

From what I remember no Bills fans were calling for the firing of Greg Roman.  His firing was a surprise and seen as an obvious scapegoat

2 minutes ago, John Adams said:

And Chubb and Hunt. 

Mayfield had a legitimately excellent rookie season. He has had a down year this season, but it's way too soon to tell. The coaching situation there is a complete sh*tshow, so I'd hold off on drawing any grand conclusions yet.

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

From what I remember no Bills fans were calling for the firing of Greg Roman.  His firing was a surprise and seen as an obvious scapegoat

There were plenty here who ripped him. I recall it well. We could have Alexander the Great as our OC and a decent segment of Bills fans would still blame everything on him. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Mayfield had a legitimately excellent rookie season. He has had a down year this season, but it's way too soon to tell. The coaching situation there is a complete sh*tshow, so I'd hold off on drawing any grand conclusions yet.

I agree 100% on that. It's way to early for any of them. We have a project QB. So far I like the project but there's more to go. 

Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold were supposed to be pro-ready. 2 of 3 have looked like pros but I don't know where they are headed long term. 

Jackson is his own thing. Pretty awesome. Count me as someone who thought he'd suck in the pros except as a gadget player. 

• Like (+1) 1

I dunno  Mayfield has better cast and they won 6 games  Darnold I'll give the benefit of the doubt but I still would not say he's further ahead than Allen and none of their ceilings including Jackson are higher.  I think they just continue to grind their axe