Injuries or Lack thereof

WizdomCalling

I don't believe in jinxing things so I will say I'm very happy that the Bills are and have been relatively untouched by serious injuries this year. I know that Morse went down against the Pats and Nsekhe has been hobbled for a few weeks but I believe they both will be back and fully ready to go for the playoffs, other than that our major injuries have been limited. 

I say all that to say I think a healthy Bills team can go deep in the playoffs. A major part of success in the post season has to do with conditioning and health. Many players, especially rookies hit the proverbial wall well before 16 weeks and from all indicators thus far the Bills will be fine with regards to that.

This brings me to my third point. Nsekhe being out could have been a blessing in disguise. The Bills have been able to get an extended look at Cody Ford. Some people like him at tackle some don't. I don't know yet, but what I know is the Bills have more tape on him and know what they need to do for next year. 

I'm excited for the playoff run, and even more excited for the future of this team.

I had been thinking about this a few weeks ago. One of the amazing things about the 1990s teams was they were remarkably healthy vs their competition... and a big part of that was Rusty Jones ( truly underrated asset). There are many ways to gain an advantage (superior cap management, excellence in scouting, analytics, cheating - looking at you Patriots, and training - including conditioning and nutrition).  I am in certain how we are with analytics and we don’t seem like the cheating type ... but the others seem to be trending very favorably.

Edited by CorkScrewHill

2 hours ago, WizdomCalling said:

I don't believe in jinxing things so I will say I'm very happy that the Bills are and have been relatively untouched by serious injuries this year. I know that Morse went down against the Pats and Nsekhe has been hobbled for a few weeks but I believe they both will be back and fully ready to go for the playoffs, other than that our major injuries have been limited. 

I say all that to say I think a healthy Bills team can go deep in the playoffs. A major part of success in the post season has to do with conditioning and health. Many players, especially rookies hit the proverbial wall well before 16 weeks and from all indicators thus far the Bills will be fine with regards to that.

This brings me to my third point. Nsekhe being out could have been a blessing in disguise. The Bills have been able to get an extended look at Cody Ford. Some people like him at tackle some don't. I don't know yet, but what I know is the Bills have more tape on him and know what they need to do for next year. 

I'm excited for the playoff run, and even more excited for the future of this team.

They have been relatively untouched for all 3 years McDermott has been here, ranking 3rd, 4th and 5th in man games lost to injuries. With the huge emphasis they have placed on sports science, making sure players are receiving proper treatments at the proper times, and all of the other things I don't think we can say it is a coincidence anymore.  Why more teams don't follow their lead is really mind blowing to me.

Edited by matter2003

I think it is also their style of play.  They rarely receive friendly fire on defense, and their O-Line employs a certain style that keeps them from getting rolled up on a ton.

It also limits their effectiveness sometimes, but I would take consistency over seeing Vlad again.

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd be curious to know how much emphasis they place on injury history in the draft and FA process.

Seeing as they kicked tires on guys like Morse and Gaines twice , and Poyer was hurt i believe in Cle

I'd say they view injuries like most Front offices, that they are random and not predictive of the future

Unless it's habitual

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

One season could be a coincidence. But if the Bills have this few injuries next year, you have to start thinking it's the new fitness center they built.

I think part is guys wanting to get back when you are winning vs shelving dudes when you are out of it. Paired with a little luck.