Should The Bills Bench Alexander?

Dr.Sack

7 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

You go with Lorax for the rest of the season.  Make change in off season most likely.  He's been a good player but Bills need a younger, more athletic LB and more LB depth in general.

I think this is his last year, and he'd probably agree.  The guy is such an ideal teammate and leader, and what a great story coming into the league and playing as a lineman, then shedding a ton of weight and playing LB at a high level for so long.

He had some pretty blatant misses vs NE.  I'm sure Beane and his scouts are looking hard for his replacement, we need a DE and an OLB to come in next year and add some nastiness to this D. 

Before the season started I felt like Tremaine would eventually slide out to Lorax's spot and they would give Stanford a shot in the middle, but Edmunds came on strong and hes not going anywhere.  We will see some Corey Thompson in for Lorax this Sunday, it will be good to give these young cats a shot to show their stuff.

2 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Both have been inactive for weeks don't hold your breath. 

Yeldon is redundant with Singletary effective in the pass game and the continued fascination/infatuation with Duke Williams on this board amazes me. He's Brandon Reilly (currently XFL), Naaman Roosevelt, Da'Rick Rogers and Colby Listenbee all rolled into one. 

Duke caught a winning TD this year. Give the man some credit...

Go Bills!!

7 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

You go with Lorax for the rest of the season.  Make change in off season most likely.  He's been a good player but Bills need a younger, more athletic LB and more LB depth in general.

I completely agree with this. Can’t make the change now but this offseason you have to fix that position. He is the weak link on the Defense right now and I and worried he will be exposed in the playoffs. Love the guy but unfortunately Father Time has caught up to him. 

1 hour ago, DRA3196 said:

The more I reflect on our defensive performance against the Patriots. The more I conclude that the entire unit was exhausted because of their high level of play against some incredible competition over the last month and it was a short week with travel on both ends. I wouldn't worry about Zo or anyone else on the defensive side of the ball. They can rest up this week and get ready for the playoffs with their mind and body right. Sometimes ya just need a break.

Travel to Pittsburgh and Boston?  It's a 45 min flight not a 6 hour bus ride.

They coached scared.  I have no explanation for the missed tackles.  Like many have said, just chalk it up to a bad game and move on.  I am not worried about tackling.  I'm more worried McD and Frazier have the same game plan for Watson.  

1 hour ago, BBills88 said:

I believe Darryl Johnson should get an extensive look at DE for the JETS game.

He will.  

Edmunds should play the first half at OLB. Just for fun.  I would predict two sacks and a forced fumble.  

5 hours ago, hemma said:

Would have been nice to have Vosean Joseph available at this point in the season.

I think he would have pushed for quite a few snaps by now.

Love the kid. Followed him at UF. BIG hitter, but kind of undisciplined. That’s the way UF wanted him/their MLB’s to play. But ‘undisciplined’ is NOT a Process word. I imagine he’s ‘attending post grad classes’ at McDermott U. 

Next year!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Travel to Pittsburgh and Boston?  It's a 45 min flight not a 6 hour bus ride.

They coached scared.  I have no explanation for the missed tackles.  Like many have said, just chalk it up to a bad game and move on.  I am not worried about tackling.  I'm more worried McD and Frazier have the same game plan for Watson.  

He will.  

Edmunds should play the first half at OLB. Just for fun.  I would predict two sacks and a forced fumble.  

they got back from Pittsburgh at 2am Monday morning and left for Foxboro on Friday. That is a quick turnaround when you factor in recovery time and implementation of a game plan to stop a QB many consider the GOAT. 

You believe they coach scared, I think they  coached conservative and coached that way for a reason. Regardless, time to focus on the playoffs.

Go Bills

I heard an interview on DC radio A few weeks ago with one of Lorax’s old Redskins buddies. He said that this is Lorenzo’s final season. He will retire to spend more time raising his kids and will move to the warmth of Arizona.  He was very sure and said Zo is looking forward to life after football.  So I would say just enjoy these final few games of a great veteran playing career.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

It’s no secret Lorenzo Alexander is a valuable veteran linebacker & has made incredible plays over the past 4 seasons for our defense. Remember the goal line stuff of Leornard Fournette? Amazing.

That said on both the Patriots TDs Saturday, Alexander was beaten both in pass coverage & couldn’t bring down Burkhead despite Star having him partially wrapped up. Does a younger more explosive linebacker make the play? Maybe. Would an elite talent like TJ Watt or Luke Kuechley make those plays? Probably so. 

Putting that in consideration what is the likelihood McD pulls a Wade Phillips Johnson over Flutie & uses the Jets game to see if a backup LB can better play Zo’s position? Will Zo ride the pine in our Wild Card playoff game likely down in Houston? Is Zo resigned come 2020 or does he retire?

Yeah we all love Lorenzo but I think that he’s definitely struggled at times this season.  I do feel that he can be a good situation player, especially rushing the passer etc.

As far as benching him?  I don’t think that we have anyone that can step in and play as well as he does.  Would an additional defensive back be a solution?  I think they might be a liability in bigger packages against the run.

So I think playing him, gives the Bills the best chance at winning this season

On 12/24/2019 at 1:22 AM, Dr.Sack said:

It’s no secret Lorenzo Alexander is a valuable veteran linebacker & has made incredible plays over the past 4 seasons for our defense. Remember the goal line stuff of Leornard Fournette? Amazing.

That said on both the Patriots TDs Saturday, Alexander was beaten both in pass coverage & couldn’t bring down Burkhead despite Star having him partially wrapped up. Does a younger more explosive linebacker make the play? Maybe. Would an elite talent like TJ Watt or Luke Kuechley make those plays? Probably so. 

Putting that in consideration what is the likelihood McD pulls a Wade Phillips Johnson over Flutie & uses the Jets game to see if a backup LB can better play Zo’s position? Will Zo ride the pine in our Wild Card playoff game likely down in Houston? Is Zo resigned come 2020 or does he retire?

Mentioning a Lorenzo Alexander benching in the same breath as the Flutie benching just sounds wrong on so many levels. Lol

Neither Stanford nor Thompson are unknown commodities---they're backup material---for your scenario to even come close to being reminiscent of the Flutie benching, I think Vosean Joseph would have to be that younger, mystery player named starter over Lorenzo Alexander at the last second, but he's been on I-R for much of the season.

Edited by BurpleBull

On 12/24/2019 at 1:22 AM, Dr.Sack said:

So you are recommending we replace Lorax with a player off our bench who will play like TJ Watt or Luke Kuechley?  Well what the hell have we been waiting for?!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Why? He is still effective in the role he is used in. On what basis is this conclusion reached? One game?

Do you ever have an off day on your job OP or do you perform at a 100% level every day?

Edited by matter2003

LoRax is having a great year overall I thought

A handful of games I remember thinking he played near perfect. Just because he missed the Burkhead tackle isn't even a sign of age. He got there and just couldn't make the veteran play. But we should know after all this time he's really one of the more sure tacklers around.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

So you are recommending we replace Lorax with a player off our bench who will play like TJ Watt or Luke Kuechley?  Well what the hell have we been waiting for?!

Long term yes whether it be via FA or the draft, but perhaps someone from the bench or PS or a DE in running situations & a safety in pass downs.  I think Neal could have better defended the LaCrosse TD & Darryl Johnson could have brought down Burkhead. Alexander also could benefit from a lower snap count. Does he make the Burkhead tackle if he wasn’t gassed?