Should The Bills Bench Alexander?

Dr.Sack

4 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

You go with Lorax for the rest of the season.  Make change in off season most likely.  He's been a good player but Bills need a younger, more athletic LB and more LB depth in general.

He said he was probably going to retire after the season so I think a change is a given.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Benching Lorax isn't the answer, he's still a good pass rusher and run defender.  Just don't let him cover a TE, WR, RB, the eligible tackle, etc.  I'm not sure why the defensive brain truss hasn't figured that out after the previous two years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

It’s no secret Lorenzo Alexander is a valuable veteran linebacker & has made incredible plays over the past 4 seasons for our defense. Remember the goal line stuff of Leornard Fournette? Amazing.

That said on both the Patriots TDs Saturday, Alexander was beaten both in pass coverage & couldn’t bring down Burkhead despite Star having him partially wrapped up. Does a younger more explosive linebacker make the play? Maybe. Would an elite talent like TJ Watt or Luke Kuechley make those plays? Probably so. 

Putting that in consideration what is the likelihood McD pulls a Wade Phillips Johnson over Flutie & uses the Jets game to see if a backup LB can better play Zo’s position? Will Zo ride the pine in our Wild Card playoff game likely down in Houston? Is Zo resigned come 2020 or does he retire?

It’s a good question. Alexander has had some problems on special teams as well this season.

I don’t think we do. We have rolled with him all year and I still prefer his veteran presence out there. Playoffs are not the time to pull a flutie Johnson move. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Did you know that Alexander was also pivotal to stifling the Ravens a few weeks ago???

https://theathletic.com/1444660/2019/12/09/seven-observations-from-bills-loss-josh-allen-has-another-weak-spot-to-fix-and-bills-create-the-lamar-blueprint?source=shared-article

3) Bills provided the NFL a blueprint for the Ravens offense

The Ravens brought their unique offensive scheme to Buffalo, and the trouble with teams defensive game-planning for them so far has been overthinking it. The Ravens offense bring a lot of speed, which provided a challenge on paper for the Bills. Baltimore is primarily in a personnel grouping that dictates the defense gets into its base formation, which meant a lot of strong-side linebacker Lorenzo Alexander for the Bills. Alexander, 36, has been a dependable player for the Bills but struggles in the change of direction and getting to the edge quickly enough to make a stop. Using a bigger defensive back instead of Alexander, seemed like a logical change for the Bills.

Still, they stuck with Alexander all game and he rewarded them with a fantastic performance. In total, Alexander took 71 percent of the team’s defensive snaps and was part of the grand effort to limit Lamar Jackson in a way that no other team has to this point of the season.

Let's not overreact 

He was also pivotal in the Steelers game, made a couple of game saving plays!

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. Only Duke and TJ have an opportunity to be activated with a good day. We just don't have that much depth at LB. I was hoping one of the Johnson's would outplay Wallace be it didn't happen. 

Both have been inactive for weeks don't hold your breath. 

Yeldon is redundant with Singletary effective in the pass game and the continued fascination/infatuation with Duke Williams on this board amazes me. He's Brandon Reilly (currently XFL), Naaman Roosevelt, Da'Rick Rogers and Colby Listenbee all rolled into one. 

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

correct.  Bills aren't quite ready for top 5 football because they don't have all the pieces and experiences yet to score more than 25 points per game.  Beane will get the new bodies they need and McD and BD will make all of the offense  better.   The NFL at the highest level is stacked towards and all about offensive football.  Trust the Process of continually improving the offense.  They are in no way finished.   Play the starters Sunday.   They need the work.  

I agree with everything except the LAST part about playing the starters , 

Why would we take a chance and have a starter possibility getting hurt ?

The more I reflect on our defensive performance against the Patriots. The more I conclude that the entire unit was exhausted because of their high level of play against some incredible competition over the last month and it was a short week with travel on both ends. I wouldn't worry about Zo or anyone else on the defensive side of the ball. They can rest up this week and get ready for the playoffs with their mind and body right. Sometimes ya just need a break.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

It’s no secret Lorenzo Alexander is a valuable veteran linebacker & has made incredible plays over the past 4 seasons for our defense. Remember the goal line stuff of Leornard Fournette? Amazing.

That said on both the Patriots TDs Saturday, Alexander was beaten both in pass coverage & couldn’t bring down Burkhead despite Star having him partially wrapped up. Does a younger more explosive linebacker make the play? Maybe. Would an elite talent like TJ Watt or Luke Kuechley make those plays? Probably so. 

Putting that in consideration what is the likelihood McD pulls a Wade Phillips Johnson over Flutie & uses the Jets game to see if a backup LB can better play Zo’s position? Will Zo ride the pine in our Wild Card playoff game likely down in Houston? Is Zo resigned come 2020 or does he retire?

HO! HO! HO! Merry Christmas!! That's the spirit Batman

batman-tv-series-GettyImages-517330308.jpg

Edited by Blackkat19

Do we have a better LB on roster? I think he has lost a step but who replaced him?

43 minutes ago, DRA3196 said:

The more I reflect on our defensive performance against the Patriots. The more I conclude that the entire unit was exhausted because of their high level of play against some incredible competition over the last month and it was a short week with travel on both ends. I wouldn't worry about Zo or anyone else on the defensive side of the ball. They can rest up this week and get ready for the playoffs with their mind and body right. Sometimes ya just need a break.

I had not thought of the short week and the emotional high from Steelers wearing off.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Nope. The defense gassed itself by allowing a 18 play drive from the Patriots 1 yard line...If you cannot get off the field or put pressure on the Patriots at thier one yard line, then that is your fault.

I agree- they were uncharacteristically bad all game. None of them tackled well and many times were out of position.

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

It’s a good question. Alexander has had some problems on special teams as well this season.

I don’t think we do. We have rolled with him all year and I still prefer his veteran presence out there. Playoffs are not the time to pull a flutie Johnson move. 

Lorax has been brutal on teams- I love the dude but glad this is his last season.

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I agree- they were uncharacteristically bad all game. None of them tackled well and many times were out of position.

Lorax has been brutal on teams- I love the dude but glad this is his last season.

Time takes out everybody. It’s undefeated. (credit Rocky Balboa)

Edited by vincec